Thyroid Disorders Community
Can you take Synthroid and Prilosec at the same time?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I am taking Synthroid 150mcg and Cytomel 25mcg 1/2 tablet daily.I was just diagnosed with acid reflux and was told to take my Prilosec on an empty stomach at 7am...however,I take my Synthroid and Cytomel at that time.Can you take them together?I asked the doctor but he didn't seem certain enough to make me feel comfortable with taking them together.To me it just doesn't seem right to take thyroid meds and acid reducers at the same time.Can anyone help please!
You will not absorb the thyroid med properly with an acid pump reducer (PPI) in your stomach at the same time.  

I had terrible acid refux on a T4 med only. The connection that doctors dont know is many hypo patients have GERD, reflux when their free T3 levels are not higher than T4. Many hypos get reflux because their stomach acid is low, it has the same effect as too much, hard to believe, yes. They will get reflux from the inability to digest, and for these people it gets worse if they add acid reducers. This may or not be your case.

Have you adjusted diet for proper body PH using saliva test strips to try to break the reflux cycle. It is a cycle the body's nervous-memory gets stuck in it and many cases can be cured  without acid restricting drugs. Can take several months to a year to correct, but its worth it.

I have a boat load of info if your interested. I cured my reflux myself, not doctors. For starters, say no to pizza and coffee. And jack up the head of your bed 6 inches if you get reflux at night (the worst time).
Goggle this supplement:

d-Limonene

Jarrow is one of several brands that sell soft gels of d-limonene, its medical grade orange peel extract oil, not the same as whats in the grocery isle. Works wonders for relux with no side effects. It dose not lower acid, but stops it from going up your throat and allows the LES valve in the esophagus to heal. You need stomach acid to break down food.Its $12 for 60, take one to three per day in addition to correcting PH and taking digestive enzymes.

PPI's like Prilosec were not meant top be used forever, docs ignore this fact. With exception of a haitial hernia, doctors never find the reason for GERD or reflux and just perscribe PPI drugs as a band-aid to finding the real cause. Wrong.

I very seldom have any reflux at all and take nothing for it but eat better and make sure T3 in at least half up the range. Last time I had reflux was last year this time when I went severely hypo from a thyroid med that does not work for me. GERD is thyroid related in hypothyroid patients.

any questions - PM me.
I do.  I take my synthroid in the middle of the night when I get up to use the bathroom, then it has several hours to process before I wake and take the prilosec.
Just to clarify,  she stated if its OK to take synthetic thyroid and a PPI at 7 AM, the same time.

What you do works, because it is not at the same time.

You take thyroid first several hours before the PPI, like you said is most likely enough time between.

A PPI at the same time as swallowed thyroid med will result in inadequate absorbing of the thyroid med. This is also mentioned on the info sheet under 'acid reducers'.
i am currently  taking fosamax once a week (monday).  Daily i take claritin and singulair for allergies, 2 citracal d, a centrum silver in the morning.,  around 1030 I take a nexium.  and at nite i  take 2 more citracal d for osteoporosis. When should I take synthroid,
Fantastic information and worth looking into, as my daughter and I are both hypo and have GERD! I hate using a PPI b/c our bodies need the acid to break down food. I know most doctors won't touch the stuff, even though they prescribe it! I researched d-Limonene. (For those doing the same, be sure to use reputable sites to get your info. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18072821 is a government site was just one I found that wasn't a .com) Quite exciting to think a natural supplement may help with several severe issues! Thanks so much for the help!