Thyroid Disorders Community
Cytomel

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Cytomel

I've been on Cytomel for a few months now because my Free T3 was very low.  (Pap cancer 3 years ago, TT 2006, Synthroid 125 mcg.)  I started on a whole 5 mcg tablet and for some reason it was determined that I'm very sensitive to it.  So I started with 1/4 per day and have, over time, worked my way up to 1/2 pill in the morning and the other 1/2 at 3pm.  I feel great now, no problems at all. But, I've noticed that I'm having hot flashes very frequently, waking up at night just soaking in sweat.  Never had this problem before and I'm wondering if it could be related to the Cytomel or just that I'm 43!  Should I mention it to the doc? I go for labs this Friday.
I would mention the hot flashes to the doctor, but being 43, could be the problem.  My hot flashes/night sweats actually slowed way down once I started on cytomel; but then I wasn't overly sensitive to it either - that could make a difference.

That said, you might need to get all your levels tested again, because that could mean your FT3 is going too high.  
Avatar n tn
i have had some problems on t3 med also. i am trying to find my best amount and i think it will be 2.5 mcg only per day. if i take any more the constipation and heart pounding starts  BUT if i don t take it i get hypoglycemic and very tearful. so i am trying to tweak it. i went off it for a few days and now the constipation is starting to resolve but if i stay off it too much longer i will have the other symptoms.   it doesn t matter to me any longer what my labs say it just matters how i feel. and i believe that the t3 med is the key.