Thyroid Disorders Community
Dr Brownstein?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Dr Brownstein?

How do you all feel about self help books? I went to this guys website and his books and CD's look interesting. Wanted to know if anyone has heard of him or read any of his books.

MK
I didn't go to his site, because I thought it might be a trap and I don't want to pick up any computer viruses.

I'm paranoid, OK?

I did do a Google search for his website, and I found an interesting thing. I found a site tracker that listed all the stats for his site over the last year or two, and a rating scale.

His site a year ago was getting around 4,000 hits a month. His traffic has slowed down, and last month was at an all time low of a thousand hits. The site has no rating, or a zero, depending on how you want to look at it.

So he is getting no traffic to speak of, and yesterday someone posted about ten posts (most of them were deleted) urging people to go to his site because he is a miracle worker!!!

Coincidence?
REALLY?? Posted on this forum???
well...scratch that idea then! Thanks AR.. Not into gimmicks.
I don't consider ANY medical professional to be a miracle-worker.  

That being said, some of Brownstein's ideas have worked for me.  In particular, the iodine protocol.

I don't suggest iodine for everyone... or anyone, for that matter, unless they've done a ton of research on it before trying it out.  It's highly controversial and potentially harmful.  In my case, I've had moderate success, few side effects, and my nodule has shrunk considerably (gone from 4.7cm down to 3.4cm) in 8 months.  Slow progress, yes.  But it's working. Your mileage may vary.

Bear in mind, I researched iodine for 4 months prior to trying it and only did so once I found a medical practitioner willing to supervise my treatment.  
I'm not saying he's a quack, but it looks like it.

The reason I did a Google search is this;

A new member came on and posted long posts in several threads, nearly half the threads on page one. Each post contained this guy's web address, and a glowing endorsement. The posts were long, which doesn't look like spam but the time stamps were only minutes apart. Three minutes here, five minutes there, some even less. Too fast to be responding to a question.

So I wanted to see who this Dr. was, but I was leary of just clicking on the link. I thought it might be a bad idea. So I went to Google and typed in the address.

I found his website, and the tracker site, and all the other links I saw were straight from Mary Shoman's site, so she must like this guy a lot.

If she likes him, I don't. It's bias on my part, I admit.

But this poster was saying Armour and Iodate, or Iodase, or some kind of straight iodine therapy was the cure all, and this Dr. Brownstein was THE MAN.

Iodine treatment is not a cure all, and is often detrimental to thyroid treatment, so I am thinking it is a big pile of cr*p.
Sorry, Nyxie63.

We posted at the same time.

I don't mean to knock you, or your experience, or even so much this doctor. It just looked bad the way things went on yesterday. The fact that the iodine treatment was pushed so hard was a definite turn off.
Don't worry about it.  Didn't take it personally. :)

I fully understand anyone's suspicions regarding any and all treatments touted as the end-all, be-all of medical problems.  I have them myself.

And for the record, I don't see Dr Brownstein, have never seen him, have never read his books, or any of that ilk.  I've only read clinical trials that he's done on his own and in conjunction with Dr Abraham.  

That's where I get most of my info - clinical trials.  Lots of them, on both sides of the argument.  I also rely a great deal on reviews done by patients.  I want to find out what others have tried and whether or not it worked.  Once again, lots of them.

I find books, websites, etc. put out by most docs to be little more than a sales pitch you have to pay for.

Also bear in mind that my investigation into iodine was fueled by a desperate attempt to avoid having half my thyroid removed.  Fear makes believers of us all. :P
If you are unsure of a medical treatment or such, go to quackwatch.org.

Thanks for policing this.  I'm glad that series of postings got stripped.
...actually, once 'what's-her-name' is associated with anything or anybody, the word quack is always going to come into the picture!