Thyroid Disorders Community
Exact TSH scores

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Exact TSH scores

I feel Im told constant differences in what a normal TSH score should be. My last score was 2.22. Where does that fall on the normal scale. Also, I was not able to get back on the computer to check my last post and I now can not find the response. So if you don't mind I would like to re-ask my last question.

I am on 75mcg of Levothyroxin (levothyroxine) 5 days a week. I am still feeling fatigued my skin is real dry and so on and so on. Is there anything else I should be doing. I still have problems losing my weight I gained. Which I assume comes with hypothyroidism and turning 40. Any suggestions on specific regiments or eating plans that could help?
A normal TSH level is somewhere between 0.5 and 2.5.

The test range varies from 0.5-5.0 to 0.3-3.5 or 3.0, depending on who you ask and what lab you use.

Most people have a normal TSH of around 1.0, but the number varies from person to person.

I think my "normal" TSH is a little lower than other people's, because I have always had a high metabolism. My body probably wants a TSH of a little under 1.0, but it's been a few years since my TSH was stable or normal.

There have been studies suggesting that if your body wants to be at 1.0, for example, it can only rise or fall from that 1.0 by .75 for an extended period of time before you start feeling symptoms.

Your TSH can also rise or fall a point or two for short periods due to stress, illness, or physical activity.

If your body wants a TSH of 0.78 or 1.65, and you are at 2.65, you will continue to have symptoms of Hypothyroidism. Once you find the "magic number" that works for your body, it takes a few months for some of the symptoms to go away.

So your TSH may be right on, but you haven't healed fully and are still feeling some symptoms. Or, your TSH may be a little high and you won't feel better until it is held at a lower level for a few months.

It's a bit of a guessing game.
Fun, huh?
I am new here, and keep reading about numbers like 1.5 or 2, but my doctor said mine was 147. How is that even possible -- have you heard of others having levels that high? My symptoms were very subtle, and last year, my  levels were normal.
My TSH got up to 120.0 last Summer, and I felt sick, but I was still working.

I have seen figures quoted of 300 and even 400, but anything over 100 is serious business.

I have "talked" to people online that have TSH readings of 140 and 150, and they feel awful at the time. It is usually a situation of them being off of their drugs preparing for RAI.

A TSH of 147 is pretty high.
Hope it's lower now. :)
Thanks everybody. When I began a year ago my TSH level was first at 600 then the second test showed it at 700. Then it went down quick to a good level. Then slightly up again and down. What a freaken roller coaster. Anyway......in March I am going to get my Cortisal levels checked.
Oh I have to say we didn't catch the hypothroidism until after I gained 60 pounds and couldn't stay awake. I stayed awake long enough to work and go home to crash. It was crazy. So things are way better now compared to then. Now I am working on loosing this weight. How about everyone else?  I am going on the Micheal Thurman Plan with the body blueprinting. I will let you know how it works.
I think you win the prize for High TSH, Tracie. LOL!
Glad it's closer to normal now.

Here is a site that offers a lot of info on special diets and positive mental techniques. You may find it helpful.

http://thyroidhost.proboards30.com/index.cgi

Nice bunch of people.

Getting your cortisol levels checked is a good idea, too.
Good luck.
Okay, my tsh went over 250 preparing for RAI and I was literally the walking dead. I use the term "walking" very loosely!  How on earth could you function with a level at 600?  At 250 I couldn't even lift my arms, focus my eyes or have a bowel movement without medication. I can't even imagine what I would be like at 600.  Yes, I can.....I'm pretty sure I'd be in a coma!
I know what you mean.  From what I've read, the TSH level seems like the most important aspect of thyroid disease.  Yet the numbers for it seem so vague.  Here's what I gather that's had the most credible backing:

In studies of individuals with normal functioning thyroids, have no symptoms and are in good health - TSH levels generally fall between 0.4 and 5.0 uIU/mL (equivalent to mIU/L).

For individuals who have been diagnosed with thyroid disease and are currently taking medication for it - a target range between 0.3 to 3.0 mIU/L should be achieved.

In other words, patients need to strive for a TSH a little lower than non-patients.

That would put you in the normal range of someone who is currently taking thyroid medication.  Not much help, I know, if you're still having symptoms and not feeling so great.  Perhaps it's best to contact your dr and go over everything with him/her.

One thing I did read is that there are groups that want drs and labs to lower the overall TSH ranges.  The motivation being that more people have a thryoid problem and would generally feel better and benefit from taking thyroid medications.  But since taking thyroid medication comes with its own risks, such as causing heart problems, this idea is not recommended.

Again, I want to stress that this only what I've gathered from what I've read.

Best wishes.