Thyroid Disorders Community
Follicular Lesion?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Follicular Lesion?

I had the left side of my thyroid removed in 2006 due to 2 large nodules (4cmx3cm). The next day, they discovered it was encapsulated papillary cancer. I was put on Levoxyl. Fast forward 10 months, I had an ultrasound and they discovered a 5cmx5cm mass on my left side. The FNA report stated it was a follicular lesion. The endo's nurse said not to worry and they would see me in 6 months... I can feel this pressing on my trachea and my vocal cords.
Is a lesion like an adenoma? Does this sound like a reasonable treatment? From what I've read, they can't distinguish between benign follicular cells and cancerous ones. Should I ask that it be removed?  
Hi, I had a follicular adenoma removed last year. They decided to remove it because they couldn't tell from the FNA if it was benign or malignant. It took roughly 4 months from having the ultrasound and FNA to having the nodule removed. Haven't heard of a follicular lesion before but I'm not a doctor. I know how worried you must be and having to wait 6 months seems a long time to wait and spending worrying. My thyroid became underactive after the op and they put me on Thyroxine (100mcg) a month after the op.
I've had lots of problems since but really don't know if that's down to the thyroid or my other health problems or maybe it's a mixture. All the best and I wish you well.
I had a FNA and it came back suspicious follicular lesion.  The ENT didn't even review the findings, said he was a surgeon and it was nothing.  He set up another thyroid ultrasound in four months.  This was a good answer to me, since I didn't wish to have surgery, but it threw me by not getting information to explain my choices and why.  15 to 20 per cent cancer risk is low, right?

I have a follicular adenoma and was told after just a scan that its benign, don't worry.  After reading up about it I also found a lot of reference to the 15 to 20 percent chance of it being a carcinoma.  To me that means 1,5 out of 10 or 2/10 with sounds pretty high.  

I got a second opinion and will have it removed in August.  

What happened to you, distrustful?

Regards