Thyroid Disorders Community
Gaining weight?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Gaining weight?

If you take thyroid meds without a thyroid problem will you lose weight. I have been to a diet doctor that gave me a prescription for adipex and synthroid 100mcg. I get the adipex; but don't get the thyroid. I have had my thyroid checked it checked out fine. How does this work? I thought the more thyroid you had in your system the less t3 and t4 you would have which would slow your metabolism.
I'm no medical professional, but I would seriously find another doctor to help you lose weight. What do you mean by "diet doctor?" Are you seeing a doctor who specializes in bariatric medicine, or someone who just says "this will help?"   Have you asked why you have been given this combination and exactly what it is supposed to achieve? As someone on 100mcg of synthroid for Hashimoto's disease, I can tell you that I have many times seen the warning that Sythroid should NOT be used for weight loss reliance. And adipex has its own side effect problems. Please be sure you are confident in this doctor's ability to help you or seek a second opinion. Taking 100mcg on a perfectly normal thyroid is, to me, absurd.
Some people gain weight on synthroid, as I did. 10 pounds in one month, as it increases your
appetite like crazy.
Thyroid meds. are not diet pills nor are they made to take as diet pills.  If you think this and act upon it, you are headed for trouble.  Serious health.  

If this were true, we'd all, hypos - hypers, be thin and without weight gain complaints.

There are many  diets out there, one just right for you, you just have to find it.

I find low carbo/low glycemic eating helps my weight loss and control.

Stay away from thyroid meds. unless you have a thyroid issue.
I agree. DO NOT mess with your thyroid when it's functioning normal.
if you have a low t4 and low t3 and the doctor puts you on synthroid will you gain weight?  that just does not make any sense.    if your body can convert t4 to t3 then synthroid should help to you lose weight.  checking the t4 and t3 is key right?    can it be any other way?  
What sort of  doctor prescribes a potent drug just to diet..Im on 100mcg thyroxine  for sever Hypo/Hashi..Im sure if i was taking it with normal thyroid bloods, i would now be six foot under ground..