Thyroid Disorders Community
Goiter Removal - What to Expect?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Goiter Removal - What to Expect?

It has been recommended by Endocrinologist that I have a partial thyroidectomy to have a mulinodular goiter removed.  The goiter has increased in size by 10% over the past 9 months.  I am wondering what changes to expect after surgery...How will the hormones react with half of my thyroid gone?  Can I expect to be more fatigued than I am now?  Should I expect to gain even more weight?  What is the normal recovery for this type of surgery?
I had my thyroid removed about 4 weeks ago and I'm really getting scared because I don't have my voice back when I talk I sound like I'm horse ane I'm tired more now then I was before. I always feel like something is not right within myself will any of this every go away
I had a partial thyroidectomy because of a single nodule.  The other half of the thyroid will either step up and produce more than it normally does.  That will hopefully keep you off of medication.  Or the other half of the thyroid will produce what it should produce which will leave you needing medication.  I ended up needing medication, but that mostly depends on the person.  My doctor did say that more than likely at some point I would end up on synthroid, but the big question was when.  

After my surgery, my fatigue varied.  I was fatigued at the very beginning with the drastic swing in hormones.  But as time went on, it got better.  I gained maybe 5 pounds in 6 months, so no big weight gain.  Of course that can vary by person.  I was at the time working out for an hour 2 days a week (aerobics) to work on my heart rate.  

I was mostly pain free after a week.  For about a month, I still had some trouble turning my neck all the way to the side or lifting my head when sitting up from a laying down position.  But for the most part, I didn't have any problems with recovering.

My endo did a thyroid panel 2 months, 4 months, and 6 months after surgery, and put me on meds after the 6 month check.  He wanted to give my thyroid a chance to regulate itself.