Hashimotos? High TSH, Normal low T4
Ok in Oct 2012 my blood work showed T4 Free 1.07 (0.82-1.77 lab ranges), TSH 6.73 (0.450-4.500), T3 (Free not noted on report) 102 (71-180). PCP said we would monitor no meds at that time probably because I was reluctant. Tested 2-12-13 again due to my menst. cycle starting on 1-28 and still going as I type. Appt with a OBGYN tomorrow to see what that is all about. I'm 46 yrs old. Results this time T4 Free 0.92 TSH 9.57, no T3 was ordered this go around. I have had thyroid uptake tests with no iodine issues found, however sonograms found 2 goiters I guess is what you call them that have increased in size in the past 1 1/2 yrs from about 3-4cm to 5-6cm. No nodes or nodules. PCP wants me to start on Synthroid 50 mcg, have not done so yet. I'm working on getting an appt with an Endo and they said it should about a week to get in.  Besides losing all the blood I am and the resulting low Red Blood Count, Hemoglobin and Hematocrit levels my only other symptoms have been extremely dry forehead which is also broken out, drier hair. Nothing else really bothering me too bad or I have just adapted not realizing it. So based on this info what do you ladies or men think? Thanks!
Your heavy/irregular period could be due to hypothyroidism. Hopefully your doc can get you some relief.  I have a friend who sees a gynecological endocrinologist; maybe that would be a good specialist to see?  Good luck.
Thanks Courtney!
Your FT4 is very low in the range.  It's at about 10% of range, and 50% is the rule of thumb for FT4.  Also, your TSH is high.  Both of those indicate that you are hypo.  I think I'd do as your PCP says and start on the meds.

Next time around, ask your doctor to add FREE T3 to your labs.  T3 is the most biologically active of the thyroid hormones and correlates best with symptoms.  In addition, you might want to request TPOab (thyroid peroxidase antibodies) and TGab (thyroglobulin antibodies) to see if you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, the most prevalent cause of hypo in the developed world.