Thyroid Disorders Community
High DHEA and high Prolactin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

High DHEA and high Prolactin

I have a lot of symptoms of adrenal fatigue or possibly sub-clinical hypothyroid.  My TSH levels came out okay though.  My morning cortisol is okay (blood), but I read people with adrenal fatigue often have normal morning levels, but lower the rest of the day.  I sent in a 4 point salivary cortisol test in for this reason.  The only strange test resulst i have so far are high DHEA and Prolactin.  DHEA reads 1097 on a scale of something lke 200 to 700 normal.  Prolactin reads 21.4 on a scale of about 4 to 17 normal.  

Anyone know what high DHEA could mean???

Hi Ms Hashi,
I notices you also have high DHEA, please let me know if you find out what that means in your case!\

Thanks!

This discussion is related to Adrenal fatigue with hypothyroidism.
i have seen websites talking about the problems of low dhea and all they say is high dhea is beneficial in all sorts of ways but they dont really go into why or what causes it but maybe someone will come along with more info you could try sending a message to ms Hasi she may be of help
good luck
I have high Dhea and High Prolactin but I am still trying to find out the coralization.
The doctor tell me the high Dhea leads them to think I could have a tumar in the adrenal glands somewhere either in the adrenals them self or in the overies or in the brain.
So far they have looked in all those places on me and found no tumars yet and now I'm weighting to hear why my prolactin is high now to an why there high at the same time because here way different gland systems.

If you find out any more let me know why they are high together.
Hi there,

My prolactin was recently very high after taking DHEA. I think the range was up to 200 and mine came in excess of 600!

My Dr said stress can sometimes cause high prolactin and my naturopath agreed. Naturopath advised me to take up to 200mg of B6 (have to be taken in small doses as water soluble, meaning you will urinate any excess from the body). She only advised this as I was due to do IVF and high prolactin normally stops someone getting pregnant when breastfeeding. The B^ was just aimed to control it but to deal with it at  alater stage (underlying problem).

I really was not sure if this had been caused by DHEA or stress or something else.

After one day of B6 (really do not think this would have been long enough to enough to make a difference) I had  are test. I had to be rested for twenty minutes prior to taking it. My levels came back well within range.

I recalled what I was doing on the day of previous test and remembered that I had the most stressful day of all times. i was rushing around all day and had not eaten for ten hours. i remember this well as i was able to do a fasting blood test at 6pm that day!

I can only assume my body was well stressed and as such the high prolactin. Have you been re tested with resting for twenty minutes first?

Coming back to the DHEA - not sure if this made a difference at all. I am only on it as advisable for women undergoing IVF (so not naturally high).

Good luck and really hope yours is something as simple as mine.

:-)