Thyroid Disorders Community
High numbers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

High numbers

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's last January after my TSH was found to be 62.05.  TPO was 380.  Got medicated and numbers went down.  Til now.  In January, my thyroglobulin antibody was 2200.0.  Reference range for that is 0-4.0!  At that time, my TPO was 46.0.  Reference range is 0-9.0.  I have been feeling crappy for the last couple months and dug out my results from January.  I'd forgotten my numbers were that high.  My TSH as of Friday was 2.61 which is slightly elevated from March when it was 1.46.  I'm curious if anyone can tell me what the outrageous thyroglobulin antibodies number means.  I mean >2200 in a range that's supposed to be 0-4.0!!!  Please advise.  I'm going to ask my endo to either up my dosage or switch meds.  I'm very in tune with my body and I knew my number was up!!
Thyroglobulin Antibodies are another marker for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is an autoimmune disease, in which the body sees the thyroid as foreign and produces antibodies to destroy it.  Both TPOab and TgAB are markers for Hashi's. Your high TgAB level simply  means that there hasn't been enough damage to the thyroid to put them into remission.

The med/dosage you're on isn't going to affect the antibody count that much. It will only affect your TSH and actual thyroid hormone levels. At 2.61, your TSH right at the top of the accepted range of 0.3-3.0.

What are your actual thyroid hormone levels?  You should be getting tested regularly for TSH, Free T3 and Free T4... FT3 and FT4 are what will tell you whether or not your dosage is adequate. Apparently, your doctor is not testing those; if so, your treatment will be inadequate.
HI Barb!  My last FT4 was Friday also and it was 1.25.  My endo has not tested my FT3, nor has anyone else.  I was just telling my husband that I want to tell my endo to do every thyroid test they can because there's no way my thyroglobulin antibody number should be 2200!!!  I want my symptoms treated, NOT my numbers.  I want to feel good again.  Hashimoto's makes you feel like you're crazy!!!  
Also, they are only interested in testing me every 6 months.  I feel like it should be every 3....what do you think??
There's nothing they can do to control your thyroglobulin antibody level; it is what it is. They aren't treating your antibody count; that will only go down, when your healthy thyroid tissue has been destroyed and no longer produces hormones.  The hormone replacement you take simply treats the resulting hypothyroidism, not the antibodies.

Actually, the only thyroid test left for them to do, is FT3, since they did the FT4 on Friday.  

As I understand it, your TSH is currently 2.61 and your FT4 is 1.25 - what's the reference range for the FT4? Ranges vary lab to lab and have to come from your own report.  

What thyroid med/dosage are you on?  Do you have symptoms of hypothyroidism and if so, which ones?

I'm old and it's late in my world so I'll be back in the morning.
Hi Barb.

I talked to my endo nurse today and she said they don't do the test for FT3 unless you're HYPER....so I don't know where that leaves me.  I know my numbers are in the normal range but I don't FEEL like I'm in the normal range.  I have body cramps, fatigue, irritability, sleeplessness, the list goes on... They upped my dose of levo from 100 mcg to 112 today so we'll see what happens I guess.  I'm just tired of not feeling GOOD like I used to.  I know I have Hashimoto's.  I was diagnosed in january of '12.  I just feel like I'm getting blown off half the time and I don't think they test me often enough.  I want the symptoms treated, not the numbers.  Like I said, this disease makes me feel crazy...like it's all in my head.
"I talked to my endo nurse today and she said they don't do the test for FT3 unless you're HYPER....so I don't know where that leaves me." Leaves you looking for a doctor that will test FT3, because without it, you will most likely be kept ill, as your doctor will prescribe, based on TSH and FT4, but you'll have no idea whether or not you're converting the storage FT4 to the active FT3, which is the hormone actually used by individual cells.

It's not in your head --- try to find a doctor who tests FT3, FT4 and TSH "every" time you have blood work.  It doesn't have to be an endo, it can be an internist, pcp, etc.

We can help you do that, if you like.
Agree.  Look for a new Dr.

You can visit the thread that barb posted about what defines a good thryoid Dr or what to look for.

you can call various Dr's you are considering and ask for the Dr or at least their nurse. And ask them several questions.

Such as:

Do you routinely test for Free T4 and Free T3?

Does the Dr treat by the lab numbers or does he/she take into account symptoms and primarily treat based upon symptoms using lab values as a guide?

Does the Dr prescribe T3 medication either synthetic or natural Dessicated Thyroid?

If the Dr tests for T3 and will perscribe T3 meds, then there is a decent chance but no gurantee that the Dr will be good. Or at the very least worth seeing.

In the mean time at least your current Dr. raised your dosage.  It is at least going in the cirrect direction.  baby steps!