Thyroid Disorders Community
How do I approach my Dr. when I feel he is wrong?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto Thyroiditis (TPO = .90 12/09).   I have had systems of Hypothyrodism for about 2 years.  I complained to my doctor(s) 1 MD and 2 Endos,  and thy didn't even think to test my TSH or anything.  My sister in the meantime was diagnosed with Hashimoto with only a TSH of 2.5.  Her endo which is in another state started her on Levthyroid graduating up to .88mcg. She feels like she has her life back!!  I am 52 years old and feel like I'm 80.  I explained to all of them that I have a family history and he keeps looking at my lab results and says "It hasn't attached the Thyroid yet".  My TSH was 1.22 in Dec. 2010.  I go to the doctor on June 11, 2010 with new lab results.  I was able to talk my regular dr. into starting me on the .25mcg of Levthyroid for 4 weeks.  It did nothing for me.  How do I get him to increase the dosage to see if it works?  I'm afraid of insulting him with what I have read.  He doesn't take into consideration how my sister was treated.  He keeps saying its perimenapause.  If thats true I'll never make menapause.  I'm so frustrated and so tired, will this feeling ever go away.

Hi Pallottp, Unfortunately many of us here have faced this same problem/question. Many of us have been though two or three endos before finding one that was useful.

I can't speak to the .25mcg of Levthyroid, since my case is different, but I will share my feelings about doctors.

If you already feel this doctor is not helping you then you should fire him and find some one that will listen to you.  I went for over 7 years with a thyroid problem and went to 6 doctors over that time.  I should have forced the issue of how I was feeling sooner but I "trusted the professional"  and suffered longer than I should have.

One good approach is to call several doctors offices and interview them with say 10 questions about your concerns and see if you find any that you feel you can trust.

You can go to http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/ and look up a suggested thyroid doctor in your area (if you are int he US)

Keep doing the research. You will probably find many things that will help you such as modifying what you eat and drink etc.  

Don't settle for a doctor who is not treating your overall health. You are in charge, you are paying the bill.  Demand what you need.

Good luck and keep us posted ;-)

-Mac

your doc should be testing for FT3 and FT4 not just TSH.

This will give you a better idea what your thyroid status really is.

Recommend they test iron, B12, Vit D also.  It may indeed be something other than thyroid.