Thyroid Disorders Community
Hypothyroid and Liver enzymes elevated
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hypothyroid and Liver enzymes elevated

Can being hypo elevate you liver (ALT) enzymes? My ALT is just 1 point over being normal and my doctor wants me to have a liver sonogram.
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
314892_tn?1264627503
I would have the ALT measured again before the liver scan. One point is not a big deal on this test. Of course, it is good to be cautious.

It seems I have read of a connection between liver enzymes and hypo, but I can't find the source where I read that.
Blank
314892_tn?1264627503
Found it!!

"Additional laboratory abnormalities may include:

Increased cholesterol levels
Increased liver enzymes
Increased serum prolactin
Low serum sodium
A complete blood count (CBC) shows anemia "

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000367.htm
Blank
Yes, Hypo does elevate your ALT/AST. It did to me.  If just 1 point, don't worry, you can wait. do another AST/ALT blood test in 2 or 3 months. Usually, ALT/AST level goes above 2 or 3 times of high normal range, then you need to worry. of course, test now won't hurt, the point is you may find out your problem may be caused by something else, not thyroid related.  If you are taking any thyroid supplements, increase the dosage (if you can do that) may lower your AST/ALT.
Blank
I did have my sonogram, I guess everything is OK but now I have a really uncomfortable pain in my upper left side since then. The sonogram was really uncomfortable! Does anyone know what this could be?
Blank
Sonogram is a ultrasound. but I thought sonogram is used for baby image, are you preg ?  well,  You really don't need to worry if just 1 point. recheck in 3 months, if it goes up, you may want to do a full liver blood panel which will give you much more details about your liver. Your left side, don't know , may be from your sonogram, hope it goes away in a couple of days.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...