Hypothyroidism and Heart Palpitations
Hello Everyone - I am a 34 year old female who was diagnosed about 8 months ago with hypothyroidism.  Additional testing then diagnosed me with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  My initial TSH level was 12.7, so I was I placed on 50 mcg of Levothyroxine.  My TSH level is now 4.8.

I have had all of the normal hypothyroid symptoms - weight gain, muscle pain, tiredness, etc., but my biggest complaint (that doesn't fit symptoms of hypo) is heart palpitations.  At their worst, I was having them for sometimes 5 - 6 hours a day.  I did see a cardiologist, who did an EKG, echocardiogram, and also had me a wear an 24-hour heart monitor. After reviewing all of the tests, the cardiologist said that I had a perfectly healthy heart, and that the palpitations were most likely a result of hypothyroidism.

For the first few months after being on the Levothyroxine, I can honestly say that I did NOT feel any better.  However, over the past 6 - 8 weeks, I have begun to feel more like my old self again.  FINALLY, the palpitations started to subside - occurring for only 3 - 4 hours a day, then about 1 hour a day, then only a few flutters here and there.  I was absolutely elated to have them gone!

Within the past week however, as soon as I woke up in the morning, I could tell I just didn't feel right.  I've been having more palpitations again (an episode last night lasted for about 2 hours).  It's only been a few days since the  palpitations have returned, but I am scared to death that I am going to have to start dealing with them again.  They make me feel awful!

I promised myself I was going to keep this as concise as possible, and looking at the above I appear to have failed.  Has anyone else been diagnosed with Hashimoto's or hypothyroidism and suffering from long episodes of heart palpitations?  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and found it to be comforting knowing that others are having similar symptoms as me.  In October, 2011 I had a TT due to finding follicular and papillary cancers.  Thankfully there was no evidence of metastasis in the lymph nodes that they also removed.  They also took out two parathyroid glands which were enlarged but not malignant.  After the surgery and being on Cytomel I felt pretty good until the endo started to play with the dosage and it put me in the ER with wicked ventricular tachycardia along with something else which I cannot remember.  They ended up giving me a cardizem push twice...something I don't want to happen again.  They were going to perform an ablation but fortunately the electro physiologist thought that the problem was do to the Cytomel...smart man.  During the no iodine period for RAI ablation I did not experience any form of tachycardia until the endo started me on Synthroid at the end of January 2012.
  Then I started to experience weight gain, feeling as though I was shaking inside, increased PVCs, tightness or irritation in the throat, etc.  I had various heart tests and I have an ICD implanted profilactically since I have Sarcoidosis in my lungs, so they are also able to check on my heart function anytime and everything is always within normal limits.  The endo wants me on 250mcg of Synthroid (currently on 175mcg) and every time I increase it, even by 12.5mcg or less I get worsening PVCs and atrial tachycardia (I have had recurring PVCs and atrial tachycardia periodically before but not to the frequency as now).  When I talk to my endo she just tells me that my TSH is still too high (currently 18.75 - down from 55) and wants it below 1 because of the cancer.  My
T4 Total is 10.0 ---------Range: 4.5 - 12 mcg/dl
Free T4 index 3.1--------Range: 1.4-3.8
T3 uptake 31--------------Range: 22-35%
She put me on Tirosint at the beginning of July and that just caused severe constipation, bloated ness, and it felt as though someone was putting their hands around my throat.  The doctor said that it was due to being hypo but when I checked with the pharmacist, who suggested that I go back on Synthroid, which I did, and the side effects disappeared.  I made an appointment with another group of endocrinologists, who, as I understand it, have a different approach to this issue and not just what the pharmaceutical companies sell.  I would appreciate any feedback.
hi! i am so happy to find this forum to. Almost 4 months ago i had to take the radiation pill to kill off my thyroid from being hyper. Being off of thyroid pills and just waiting for it to go hypo is frustrating. They say it can take up to 6 months to work. I to just started having the paplitations again. Its such a scary feeling. When I first started feeling them i had my heart checked EKG, blood work, everything. Turned out my thyroid levels were through the roof. I do know that its a cause from my levels shooting up and killing the thyroid. After reading everyones posts im wondering that i my have more episodes once I go hypo and try and get my levels to were there supposed to be. Any advice from someone who has taken this pill? Thank you :)
hello goolarra
I was just browsing through on a searcher and found you. I thought your explanation of thyroid disease was the best I have seen and put it up on HealthUnlocked...which is a thyroid site. My admin says:
Hi ellarose, can you please include a link to the site that you've copied this from and if possible, acknowledge the author so that their copyright is not blatantly ignored. Thanks.
You can find us at :
http://thyroiduk.healthunlocked.com/blogs/520672/Best-simple-explanation-of-our-thyroid-problem-I-have-seen-yet-Especially-for-those-recently-diagnosed?ref=email_individual#520896

I have put this site up and in doing so hope I have achnowledged you! It was three years ago so hope you can remember writing it!
How could I forget?  It may be three years ago, but I've been writing it over and over for the past three years as well!  As you mentioned, not a lot has changed in the interim in thyroid care.

Of course, in the UK, FT3 and FT4 tests can be almost impossible to get, unless you go private.    

Thanks for the link, and I'm glad you found it useful.
I have been having trouble with heart racing and irregular beats off and on for several years and panic attacks. My TSH will be elevated at times but T3 and T4 are within range most often. I have Hashimotos which means I have antibodies attacking my thyroid. The problem with treating just the thyroid is that it's like putting a bandaid on it. With this type of problem you have to get your whole body back into balance. A lot of times the problem could have started with food allergies such as gluten sensitivity. You have to look at the whole body to find the cause not just try to treat the symptoms. If you go to www.bodylogicmd.com and find a doctor in your area they will test you for everything that can cause the thyroid problems and treat your whole body for anything that comes up being out of balance. I have just recently gone to them and am about to start on things to get my stomach bacteria back in balance, avoid all the foods I am allergic to, gluten free diet, thyroid booster which is desiccated thyroid, probiotics and a detox shake. I hope all of this works but it makes sense to treat the possible causes so the problem won't keep coming back and to try to get the antibodies being produced to stop
Woman that are menopausal might want to look into hormone replacement I have noticed since i have been on the HR my palpitations have minimized. I also do not have a thyroid and have hashimoto's disease. It is so frustrating being hypo and menopause and people think your crazy.
hi i hve jst read all your comments i   have been having palpitations for years and have had enough.i had most of thyroid removed 18 years ago when i hve hd bloods done it said i hve antibodies suggestive of autoammune disease i was told this is ok,what does it mean do i hve hashimotos
Do you know which antibodies were elevated?  Elevated TPOab (thyroid peroxidase antobodies) and/or TGab (thyroglobulin antibodies) indicates Hashi's.  Elevated TSI would indicate Graves'.  

Please post your actual level with reference ranges (ranges vary lab to lab so have to come from your own lab report).

ALso, if you'd like to post your most recent thyroid panel, we can have a look at that.

It might be a good idea to do that in a new thread.  Go to the top of the page, click the orange "Post a Question" button and follow instructions.  This is an old and long thread that takes ages to load.  
thankyou for taking time to reply,i hve seen gp today and wil have bloods tytaken monday.my last bloods taken july last year showed levels of antibodies to be way over 1000 he said was high but didnt mean i have a problem so a bit confusing.i wil try to get copy of those results and the new ones but you knw wot its like in england.the thyroid is a complicated thing.how comes you understand it so well!!!!im a nurse and i dont get it i think my brain has gone
Elevated antibodies really only tell you the cause of your hypothyroidism.  The antibodies attack thyroid cells, and the only effects you really feel from them are hypo symptoms (once they've destroyed enough thyroid function to make you hypo).  

Since most of your thyroid was removed, the doctor probably feels there's little tissue left to destroy, so the high antibodies really aren't a factor for you.  Antibodies are mainly a factor in the early stages of the disease when there's still quite a bit of thyroid function left.  At that point, they can cause swings in thyroid levels, making you hypo, then hyper, then hypo again.  As the antibodies kill off cells, the cells "dump" hormones into the blood, raising levels.  

When you get your lab results (don't forget the ranges), start a new thread, and we can comment on your individual concerns.  For some reason, this thread is just painfully slow loading this morning.  

I had my trials and tribulations with Hashi's.  Due to inept doctors, I was forced to learn about it...hey, it got interesting!  LOL  
Hi there goo you seem to be the gooru so to speak on thyroid and I could use some advice.

Been diagnosed on and off since 1999 with under active thyroid.  Currently I'm taking 100mcg levothyroxine and I feel like crap.  Heart palpitations are becoming unbearable and are worse when I try to sleep. Still losing hair by the handful too.

My biggest issue is no medical insurance.  I go to a clinic for my meds/bloodwork and all they run is TSH and diagnose from there.

I don't really know what else to do or who to turn to for help.  The palpitations are really worrying me.  I just want them to stop.

I look forward to any replies.  Thanks in advance.
Have you discussed your palps with the clinic?  I'd think that would be something they'd find it hard to ignore.

Without labs, it's hard to tell you which direction you need to go in.  My best guess (and that's exactly what it is) is that you are either undermedicated or need to be taking T3 as well as the T4 in levo.  

It's not a replacement for getting your thyroid levels right, but a beta blocker would probably help a lot with the palps.

Can you find a spare $85?  For that, you can self order FT3, FT4 and TSH online ($85 for all 3).  You don't need a doctor's order to get them, they send you to a local lab for the draw and they send the results directly to you.  Perhaps, with results in hand, you could convince someone at the clinic to adjust/change your meds???  Our members have had good luck with healthcheckusa.  We can help you interpret your results and point you in a direction.

I have read your posting, I suffer the same symptoms.  I have noticed that every time I eat a meal that has iodine, such as fish, my heart palpitations go down.  Just wanted to share this with you.
I just got home from the ER where I went because I had a sudden spike in blood pressure in hypertension zone with heart palpitations, shortness of breath and nausea. They did a complete work up on me and said everything looked good except for my blood pressure. Then they said that my hypothyroidism could be causing the heart palpitations. This is really scary. I thought I was having a stroke or a heart attack last night. I was scared to go to sleep for fear I wouldn't wake up.
I am going to my regular doctor to get a new thyroid work up on me. I'll take the advice in this thread and make sure to get the free t3,4 tests.
I hope everyone on this thread is doing better now. Please post updates when you can!!
I believe goolarra is the only poster on this thread that is still active on the forum.

By all means, do take the advice posted here and talk to your doctor about it.
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 20 yrs ago and have been on various thyroid meds beginning with Synthroid and just recently changed to Levothyroxine 50 mcg (my insurance did this). I have taken 1 whole pill 1 day and 1/2 pill the next for all those years.  Only test is THS coming in at around 1.47 consistently.  Recently I started having occassionaly heart palps, being cold, tired, dizzy/lightheaded, low BP 90/60.  I encreased my Meds to 75 mcg on my own and the most of the symptoms went away completely.  Except the low BP and dizzy.  My dr. finally ordered more tests.  Here are results: THS .45; T3, Total 103; Free T4 1.5
I am 60 yrs old female. Wondering if the change to levo had an impact and if the low BP is the Hypo?
Thanks, Linda
I have been having these same issues lately, I am 45 and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 98. I had no idea that could be the cause until I saw my Dr today. Hmm.. think maybe these Dr. people should share this info?
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism last year 2012... I have been experiencing heart palpitations. It usually happens when I lay down to go to sleep, but it does happen at times no matter what I am doing. I had blood work done yesterday to check my thryoid levels, electrolytes & sugar levels. My doctor is going to get me to wear a heart monitor Tuesday just to make sure its nothing to worry about, I guess. I am scared when I get the palpitations & they bring on anxiety attacks which do not help the situation at all. It's very nice to read posts that others have posted that know exactly how I feel. I am 33 years old & I am always busy. I take 50 mcg of levothyroxine every morning when I wake up. I don't know anyone else that has this issue... so its nice that y'all can relate.
TSH can make you feel like crap and effect you if its to high, that is a not true what people think high stimulating hormone release will not effect you in any way, bull crap, it certainly will, to think it doesnt matter is very old school
I have had hypothyroidism for 15 yrs and just last summer my meds quit working My Dr. doubled my thyroid meds to 200 andI ended up in the emergency room with hyperthyroidism.  I was thinking I was about to die.
Three mths. later after the er dr dropped me to 75, I felt better. In Nov and Dec.I had a colonoscopy and the gastric scoping-  In Jan, I went to have my regular thyroid tests and I was so out of whack.  I usually run 5 but I was 45.  In March I was at 27.  I have to go this week for another test.  I am going nuts.  I have palpitation from the minute I wake to when I finally fall asleep, My hands tremble .  I have never had such a time getting regulated as I have now.  I wonder when the Dr dialated my esophagus if that traumatized my thyroid.  
This is a very old, long thread.  It's usually best to go to the top of the page, click the orange "Post a Question" button and start your own new thread.  That way, we can address your individual concerns.

Is your doctor testing FREE T3 and FREE T4 as well as TSH?  TSH is not adequate for managing hypo.  You have to have all three tests.

Your endoscopy may have inflamed your thyroid, but I think it's much more likely that your doctor is dosing you by TSH only and, therefore, imporperly.

When you start your thread, please post your most recent labs, and we can try to give you some ideas about what to pursue with your doctor.
IF (that's the big, fat IF) TSH levels accurately reflect FT3 and FT4 levels (i.e. TSH is high when the other two are low and vice versa), then you will feel hypo when TSH is high.  However, for many of us, TSH simply does not reflect our levels accurately.  

I have a TSH that hovers around 20.0 (due to a pituitary issue), but my FT3 and FT4 are in range, and I have absolutely no symptoms.  TSH is nothing but a messenger from the pituitary to the thyroid to request more thyroid hormone.  TSH, by itself, does not make you feel hypo.

What's "old school" is the overemphasis on testing TSH, which is a very indirect measurement of thyroid function.  I stand by my comment that high TSH causes NO symptoms.
I have Hashimoto's and on meds but I an definitely not getting enough Thyroid. Symptoms get worse until meds increased. This time however I have been getting heart palpitations or an irregular heart rhythm. One of my doctors think it's due to my meds but I am not hyperthyroid now for sure. This is a new symptom in addition to all the others
definitely see your endocrinologist.  tach could have to do with thyroid. also consider shortness of breath etc. to be a little bit of anxiety. when you feel that way try to stay calm and breathe steady. in through the nose out through the mouth and think about something calming clearing your mind of the stress of all the thyroid concerns. it is not easy but it does help. I had thyroid cancer so believe me i understand what a pain it is trying to get the numbers under control and concentrate on everything else..best thing to do is let your doc know about tach too.  good luck with all.
About 2 years ago, I was told that I had a TSH of 8. The doctor informed me that I was borderline and that I could take meds for it or not. I didn't know much about the thyroid at the time so I opted out. And also I prefer homeopathic remedies. Recently I had another test and my TSH was 6 (I can't recall the number following the decimal). After some of the comments and research I have done on the thyroid, why would my doctor
discount this medical issue?? Any suggestions... Also, anyone heard of thyroidinum...
This is a very old, long thread.  You'll get a lot more attention to your individual concerns if you start your own new thread by going to the top of the page and clicking the orange "Post a Question" button.

Please post recent labs with reference ranges, tell us about your symptoms and any other meds or health issues that might affect thyroid or be affected by it.

I have low T3 and TSH sometimes and palpitations.  I think thyroid glandulars may help like natural sources.  
Please post your thyroid related test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report so that members can better assess the adequacy of your testing and treatment.  Do you have any other symptoms?  Are you taking thyroid med?  If so, what type and what dosage?
I was on a beta blocker for about four years but it was lowering my blood pressure too much.I wanted to get off of it.The last cardiologist visit I was told they dont use beta blockers for hypothyroid anymore.I have never been to an endochronologist.I would like to go because recently I have been waking up feeling my heart beating.Its scary.They tell me there is nothing wrong with my heart.
Could there be something awry with your thyroid levels?  Please post your thyroid test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report so that members can better assess the adequacy of your testing and treatment.  Do you have any other symptoms?  If so, please tell us about them.  Have you been tested for Vitamin D, B12, ferritin and a full iron test panel?  If so, please post those with ranges also.
Hi All,
I had zap Palpitation 5 years ago by RFA operation and its totally cured. In recent time we have plan for kid but its not success to be pregnant. After several test I found I have hypothyroid but doctor refused to give medicine for hypothyroid because I have history of Palpitation problem. Now I am in chaos that should I take risk of palpitation or give up to be pregnant.
SiruShrestha
Please post your thyroid related test results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report.  Also, please tell us about any symptoms you have that may relate to being hypothyroid?
The walls of the blood vessels have its own so to say "muscular tone" which diminishes (like everything else) under Hashimoto. The blood vessels become so less cooperative with the heart. In order to compensate for it, the heart must do extra work. That's when palpitations appear. If prolongued for years, palpitations can lead to engrossment of the cardiac muscle. This means heart disease. Serious condition.
I have Hashimoto and have successfully eliminated palpitations WITHOUT any medication, only with exertion.
Next time you feel palpitations, try to accelerate willingly your heart rate (I used to go to my room and do some 10 sit-ups or squats) for instance jumping up and down until you feel your heart pounding fast. Look at it as if you were teaching your heart the difference between movement and rest, which seems it has forgotten.
Palpitations will go off for the rest of the day.
Work with your doc to get T4 to 75-100% of reference value and T3 to 50-75% of the reference value and live well.  Tsh should be non existent-near zero!  This should help to alleviate palps, hair loss, symptoms of fibromyalgia, ,high cholesterol problems, etc.  the list is long.  I only need thyroid meds.  

Before diagnosis, I needed statins, starterra, gerd meds, etc.  Because of all the different thyroid cocktails I have tried, I noticed that I may be better served to take a generic made by Sandoz at one increased level.  So, I am working to get my doc to increase from 112 of levoxyl (started back after they stopped mfg- it is not as effective and I can feel the heart palps in my neck as we speak). To 125 mcg of sandoz generic.  Got my results back today and compared to the generic results.  Now (on Levoxyl) my t3 is very low within range and t4 is very hi within range= recipe for palps.   Based on generic -Sandoz, labs, my t3/t4 is much closer...just need 125mcg.  I know it will. Ake me well based on lab-can't wait!
I am incredibly grateful to find this website! I thought I was crazy with the heart palpitations and my TSH came back at 5.37. I have had a nearly complete thyroidectomey a few years ago and have had a very hard time stabilizing the levels since then. DR has ordered FT4 and FT3 in past and always very stable. Hmmmm.... I am glad I am not alone and am happy to hear if we can get me stable (I prefer 2.4-ish TSH) I can get rid of these awful palps! Thank you!!
Doctors like to think that TSH accurately reflects levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4.  In reality TSH cannot be shown to correlate well with either Free T3 or Free T4, much less correlate well with symptoms, which should be the priority.  

When already taking thyroid meds, TSH is basically useless as a test.  Many hypo patients taking adequate levels of meds to relieve symptoms, find that TSH becomes suppressed below range.  That does not mean hyperthyroidism, unless hyperthyroid symptoms are present due to excessive levels of Free T3 and Free T4.  

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  You can get some good insight into clinical treatment from this letter written by a good thyroid doctor for patients that he sometimes consults with after initial tests and evaluation.  The letter is then sent to the participating doctor of the patient to help guide treatment.  In the letter, please note the statement, "the ultimate
criterion for dose adjustment must always be the clinical response of the patient."

http://hormonerestoration.com/files/ThyroidPMD.pdf

Throughout the internet, hypo people are asking the same questions. I've been hypo for almost two years. My VA doc doesn't seem too "on" about this and I have had to do my own research and implementation. The VA ONLY prescribes levo, not Armour/NDT, etc... The levo made me sicker and the lower the dose, the sicker I'd be. All of the classic stuff - weight, flu feelings, migraines, heart stuff...BAD heart stuff...terrible experience!!!
So I insisted on Armour - I have to pay for it. 2 days after being off levo my 24 hr migraines disappeared. Now, 8 months later and my weight is at 182 from 206... I'm only taking 1/2 grain per day but am bumping it to 3/4 today because of heart palpitations and upper valve issues probably from hypo...
I believe that we are not educated properly, do not know what questions to even ask, and are essentially relying on our dr's to be HELPING us. NOT!
They are too busy running us thru like cattle every 15 minutes all day so they can make pmts on the Jag and their country club dues.
YOU need to be your own lab rat!. I am 67 yr old male... male thyroid is not that common, comparatively. So my stuff may be different, but generally the same. Don't be afraid to bump up the doses to see if it makes an improvement in your condition. Generally the dr's will keep you on too low of a dose and then forget about you. Get a blood draw every 6 weeks. I usually have to remind them and they say "OH YEAH! You're right!" WTH are computers for??? Take your (hopefully) armour/NDT by dissolving it under your tongue. It's not bad - just kinda chalky. You'll get used to it and it goes to work better. You'll peak in about 4 hours, so break up your doses thru the day. My doc wants me to take mine all at once, once per day.... thats BS. Then I get a let down in the afternoon... TAKE CONTROL! It's YOUR body and YOU are the one feeling like crap! Some of the forum people have been sick for 20 years!!!!!
NO THANKS! If you can't get to feeling better, see another doc or a naturopathic person. And lastly... Treat yourself as if you were your own only child! It really helps to love ourselves! Honor your ill feelings if you're not feeling "right"... Listen to others (including your doctor) with a bit of skeptical acceptance. You WILL get better!
Well said donny.  Thanks.
My HB's running about 105 regularly
and my tsh was tested at 3.84.   (age 60 male)

(on diltiazem 60mg slow release, which seems to be keeping my BP down)

other symptoms - out of breath quickly, dry skin on hands and heels, a few times I've had depression moods in early morning that go away quickly once I'm up and going.  

Does this seem to be hypothyroid?  
...almost forgot, also have irregular heartbeat...misses then hits several quickly.  
Hello Kodifik,,

New to this but I have been placed on 50mcg and now 75mcg in last 6 months
by my GP was diagnosed with Hashi last June. I do now have these palps and it is scary, had to let you know I tried movement and it worked for me the other day and plan to continue. However, with all research I have done I feel
the Levo is the cause and have app with endo and will ask to go on Armour.
Do not want to risk these palps from throwing a clot into blood stream as this can certainly happen. Thanks for your input!
I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in 1993 .
My diagnosis came about from having arrithmia and Palpatations which seemed a little odd at the time as  the Symptoms I was having indicated me being Hyper .
So I was put on Thyroxine and tests to see why I was getting these dreadful Palpatations .
But nothing was wrong so I was put on a Fleccanide which seemed to help with the fast heart beat but not with the Palpatations .
However I am still on it today !!
So over the years my dosage of Thyroxine went up and my Palpatations eased when I was on a dosage of 175mcg I felt much better however a couple of years ago it was lowered again to 150mcg where I have been having terrible Palpatations again .
Tests again proved nothing wrong but still these dam Palpatations persist.
Next week I am due my yearly blood test so small hoping that it will go back up to 175mcg as I am convinced it's what the problem is as I am tired my joints are painful I am breathless and Palpataions getting worse .
22 years of this crap and still feel no better than I did when first diagnosed and no one listens .
But I did have a few years when I felt good and that I am convinced was down to the higher dose .
Unfortunately in the UK we don't get a choice in what we are tested for you have to try and convince the GP .
Xx
I realize I am making a lot of assumptions here, without any lab test results to review, but your story is a familiar one.  Palpitations can be related to low levels of thyroid hormone.  Just because you are taking a good dose of T4 med does not mean that your body is adequately converting the T4 to T3 which is the hormone used by all the cells of your body.  In order to find out if low Free T3 is the problem, you need to pressure your doctor to test for both Free T4 and Free T3 each time you go in for tests.  A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T4 and Free T3 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  You can get some good insight from this link written by a good thyroid doctor.  

http://www.hormonerestoration.com/Thyroid.html

I expect that your doctor is reducing your med because of suppressed TSH, with the mistaken belief that low TSH automatically means hyperthyroidism.  That is wrong.  You are hyper only if having hyper symptoms, due to excessive levels of Free T4 and Free T3.  

I know how difficult it is in the UK to get tested and treated adequately.  We have had a number of members from the UK.  One who was finally successful in getting what she needed told us this.  

"What I have learned from my experience is that you have to go to the Dr's office and TELL THEM WHAT YOU WANT and to go backed up with knowledge.  You have to tell them that you have done your reading and looked into your condition and care about the long-term treatment of your health and thyroid.  If you fight for what you want, you will eventually find someone that is happy to go along with your wishes.  But we all have to take charge of our own health, right?"

So when you see your doctor I suggest that you should emphasize all the symptoms you have and the need to be tested for both Free T4 and Free T3.  Also mention that if your Free T3 is low in its range, then you will want to consider adding some T3 to your med.  Also, since hypo patients are frequently too low in the ranges for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin, you should push to get those tested as well.  
T4,FREE(DIRECT) 1.38  
I too have been dealing with hypothyroidism for years and can tell when my TSH levels are off. Usually I get the Palpitations (feeling of heart flutters or sipping beats) when I am on too much Levothyroxin and more on the hyper side. Last month I started with the palpitations and thought my thyroid levels were on the "hyper" side again and I was taking too much medication. I went to get levels checked and my TSH was 64. Very Hypo so my doc increased y medication from 112 to 150. I am still getting the palpitations, very frightening sometimes it is so bad I am afraid to go to sleep. I am having another holter monitor done and a stress test just to be sure no other problem and if all is negative She is going to start me on a Beta Blocker. I was taking Inderal because I had Hyperthyroid first which gave me some fast heart beat and irregular heart beats.  I was given the radioactive Iodine which got rid of they Hyperthyroidsm but left me with Hypothyroidism. Yes my palpitations or flutters goes on throughout the day. I am praying that once my levels start to normalize they will go away.
What other do you have other than the palpitations?

If your doctor is dosing your thyroid meds based on TSH levels, it is unlikely your levels will ever stabilize.  TSH is a pituitary hormone that is affected by so many things that at best it is only an indicator, to be considered along with more important indicators such as symptoms, and also levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T4 and Free T3.  

If you haven't been tested for Free T4 and Free T3 (not the same as Total T4 and Total T3), then you should get those done and make sure they are always tested when you go in for tests.  Members say that symptom relief frequently requires Free T4 at the middle of its range, and Free T3 in the upper part of its range, as needed to relieve symptoms.  

Further, since hypo patients are frequently too low in the ranges for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin, you need to get those tested as well and then supplement as needed to optimize.  D should be about 55-60, B12 in the upper part of its range, and ferritin should be about 70 minimum.

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T4 and Free T3 as needed to relieve symptoms without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.  
Hi at my suggestion I just had my doctor switch me from Synthroid 200mcg. to Naturethroid 195mg. because I was told by a friend that all around the Naturethroid is better. About a week ago I started having palpitations that have lasted on and off for over the entire week.  Sometimes hours on end.  I have mitral valve prolapse and left bundle branch block but I am on Toprol ( BB)50mg. for that. My latest labs after being on Naturethroid for about two weeks is T4, free direct 1.29ng/dl, Free Thyroxin Index 2.2, T3 uptake 30, Thyroxin (T4) 7.2 ug/dl, T3 141ng/dl and TSH .022 ulU/ml. Previous to this although I did not feel my best I had no palpitations.  The blood work on the Synthroid was TSH .048, T4 9.0, T3 uptake 30 and Free Thyroxin 2.7.  Thoughts?
Just in case you don't hear from posters on this old thread, we will be glad to try and help if you will tell about any other symptoms you have and also list your thyroid test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report.  Also if tested for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin, please post those as well.
Get off the levothyroxine pills.  I switched to Tirosint, liquid capsule form, and am feeling so much better.  Fillers, dyes, cornstarch or sugar are in the generic forms, Synthroid contains iodine, as do some others.  Tirosint is NOTHING but pure levothyroxine.  
I already responded to your other post on the same information.  
Please create a new thread if anyone have a question. Followup is only useful for a single user. Clubbing all into one is just like adding several patients case history on a single prescription note.