Thyroid Disorders Community
Hypothyroidism and Heart Palpitations

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hypothyroidism and Heart Palpitations

Hello Everyone - I am a 34 year old female who was diagnosed about 8 months ago with hypothyroidism.  Additional testing then diagnosed me with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  My initial TSH level was 12.7, so I was I placed on 50 mcg of Levothyroxine.  My TSH level is now 4.8.

I have had all of the normal hypothyroid symptoms - weight gain, muscle pain, tiredness, etc., but my biggest complaint (that doesn't fit symptoms of hypo) is heart palpitations.  At their worst, I was having them for sometimes 5 - 6 hours a day.  I did see a cardiologist, who did an EKG, echocardiogram, and also had me a wear an 24-hour heart monitor. After reviewing all of the tests, the cardiologist said that I had a perfectly healthy heart, and that the palpitations were most likely a result of hypothyroidism.

For the first few months after being on the Levothyroxine, I can honestly say that I did NOT feel any better.  However, over the past 6 - 8 weeks, I have begun to feel more like my old self again.  FINALLY, the palpitations started to subside - occurring for only 3 - 4 hours a day, then about 1 hour a day, then only a few flutters here and there.  I was absolutely elated to have them gone!

Within the past week however, as soon as I woke up in the morning, I could tell I just didn't feel right.  I've been having more palpitations again (an episode last night lasted for about 2 hours).  It's only been a few days since the  palpitations have returned, but I am scared to death that I am going to have to start dealing with them again.  They make me feel awful!

I promised myself I was going to keep this as concise as possible, and looking at the above I appear to have failed.  Has anyone else been diagnosed with Hashimoto's or hypothyroidism and suffering from long episodes of heart palpitations?  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
I too have Hashimoto's and have heart palpitations.  I would get what I describe as a flutter.  Now however I have tachycardia and just went through an EKG and holter monitor.  I am still awaiting the results to those.  Has your medicine been increased because based on your current TSH of 4.8, that is still too high and can be the cause of your problems.  Are you having any other symptoms? What about other tests that were checked for your thyroid?
My endo does want to increase the dose of the Levothyroxine, however did NOT want to until the palpitations subsided.  That's one of the reasons why I was so excited when they finally did, and now they seem to be on their way back again.  Like I said, it's only been a few days, but I am already worried that I am going to have these marathon episodes again. :-(

Other tests were done for my thyroid, with all levels coming back in the normal range.  As to what those tests were, I do not know.  I just remember my TSH level.

Other than the palpitations, my only other symptom that seems to have returned so far is a slightly elevated joint/muscle achiness.

How does the tachycardia make you feel?  Can you describe your symptoms?

Thank you SO much for your reply!  It's so nice to know that there's other people out there who feel the same way.

Thank you SO much for your response!  It's nice to know that there's other people out there like me.
Did you ever think that the palpitations returned because you need an increase?  Just a thought.  I know my palpitations actually subsided after I started on Synthroid.  As far as my tachycardia, I am short of breath, lightheaded and very scared.  I don't know what is wrong.  Thyroid related?  Hopefully I will get some answers soon.  This is too much to deal with on top of trying to get my thyroid under control!
You should really find out if your doctor did free T3 and free T4.  If so, you can post them with the reference ranges your lab uses.  The free's correlate with symptoms much better than TSH does.  TSH is a pituitary hormone.  It does not affect how you feel.  Your levels of FT3 and FT4 are what eliminate or increase symptoms.

I have a congenital heart defect that predisposes me to tachycardia/palpitations.  I find that the minute my FT3 goes up even slightly, my tachy increases.
I've never thought of that - I guess I need to see if my endo would be willing to increase my dose to see what happens.  I know how scared you must feel.  I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of your symproms are thyroid related.  I never had any palpitations prior to the past year.  Then I started feeling tired, achey (achy), and depressed, so I went to the doc and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism.  When I was having the palpitations all the time, I went to sleep every night scared to death I wouldn't wake up in the morning.  I would tell my husband to make sure I was still breathing in the morning before he left for work.

To:goolarra  That's really interesting about the T3 and free T4. I did not know that! I am definitely going to find out what they are.  Thank you for the info!  Is there anything that can be done to control the T3 and T4, or do you just have to deal with it?
Thyroid meds (levothyroxine, Synthroid, Levoxyl, Armour, etc.) are what control the FT3 and FT4.  They only change TSH by virtue of the fact that they are changing T3 and T4.

Here's how it works:

Your pituitary gland (master gland, which is tucked into your brain) puts out TSH.  TSH is the messenger that tells your thyroid to produce more thyroid hormones (T3 and T4).  In turn, the pituitary receives the T3 and T4 from your thyroid (I'm simplifying the process here quite a bit), and adjusts how much TSH it puts out to keep your levels correct.

T3 is the active thyroid hormone.  It is about four times more powerful than T4.  However, it is very fast-acting and is removed from your body if not used promptly.

T4 is the storage thyroid hormone.  It floats around in your bloodstream until it is needed, and is then converted to T3, which can be used by your cells to regulate your metabolism..

So, when you take thyroid meds you are directly affecting the levels of T4 in your body.  If you are taking a thyroid med with T3 in it, you are also directly affecting the T3 level.

TSH is just a messenger...it has absolutely no influence on how you feel, except that it can reflect what your FT3 and FT4 are doing.  As I said - can.  However, it is so far removed from the actual production of thyroid hormones, that any number of other things can get in the way and make it inaccurate. TSH is fine as a confirmation tool, when backed up by FT3 and FT4.  However, it is becomming increasingly controversial as a stand-alone diagnostic tool and very controversial as the basis for adjusting meds.

When requesting T3 and T4 tests, be sure to request FREE T3 and FREE T4.  The other T3 and T4 tests are for TOTAL.  These are considered archaic tests, since they don't reveal as much info as to what's going on in your body.  Also, be sure to get the reference range your own lab uses...different labs use different ranges, units, etc.  So. it's very important to interpretation.
I cannot thank you enough for all of the information.  I am so tired of not knowing what's going on or why I'm feeling the way I feel.  I really like my endocrinologist - she's the first doc that's listened to me since all of this started happening.  However, I also feel like she dismisses "unrelated" symptoms too quickly.

Maybe someday, I won't wake up every morning wondering what kind of day it's going to be - a good one or a bad one.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post your response.  You have been very helpful!
If you have a doctor who listens, you're more than half way there.  I spent almost a year with a PCP who kept saying my tachycardia wasn't related to the levo.  Now I have an endo I really like, too...listens, takes notes, works with me when I disagree with him...such a relief.

Your Hashi's may be contributing to the palps, also.  As your thyroid is attacked by your antibodies, it starts to malfunction and produce peaks and valleys of hormones.  Perhaps your palps occur when your thyroid is producing a bit more on its own.  If the palps persist, check into a beta-blocker.  BBs control the palps and tachy really well and do it almost immediately...very inexpensive, very few side effects (been around for decades).
My cardiologist offered to put me on a beta blocker, but I was a bit hesitant as several people said they didn't like the side effects - one of which was dizziness when standing up too fast.  I am a very active Mom of a two year old.  I walk 3 miles a day (in addition to chasing my son around), and now that the weather has warmed, I am busy with my flower and vegetable gardens.  I was worried that the beta-blockers would hinder me, so I opted not to take them.

Do you currently take a beta blocker for your tachycardia?  If so, what kind of side effects have you experienced?
I've been on atenolol (BB) for over a year now...I didn't have any choice...no matter how little levo I was on, it increased my tachy.

They probably get dizzy when standing up too fast because BBs also lower your blood pressure.  If your BP is low to begin with, it could cause a problem.

The only side effect I have (and I don't know if it's the BB, or the Hashi's, or that I'm not 20 anymore!)  is that sometimes I feel a kind of "lag" in getting going (such as when I've been sitting at my computer for a long time and then get up), like something's holding me back or weighing me down.  It doesn't last more than a few seconds...just something I feel I have to "work through".  Anyway, it's nothing compared to having the tachy 10-20 times a day.  It was a life-saver for me.  I started on 25 mg, then had to increase to 50 as I increased my Levoxyl.  Seems to be pretty stable at the moment (knocking on wood).
I just wanted to chime in and say I too had BAD heart palps when I was hypo! I finally found a endo that confirmed that though it is not a common symptom of hypo it IS a symptom for some as the heart beats harder to pump blood , and when hyper it beat really fast to pump and therefore she says it can happen either way, until the thyroid levels are right for you!

I too went to a cardio and had all the heart test when they got real bad, had her do a tsh and I was very hypo for me! bingo that was it got my meds more stable and they disappeared then I went hyper and they were noticably coming back.

They are VERY scary and I know your fear all too well as i suffered for years with them, prior to my partial thyroidectomy I was very hper and never knew as no doctors ever did a thyroid test on  me! so I suffered all  that time. I was on a beta blocker for 5 years which did not help them, but did help  the panic attacks! which come from being hyper to.

Hang in there, they will get better when you get the right amount of meds.. I had  really bad breathless feeling last month when I switched and went hyper so have your levels checked and try and right down  your symptoms daily as they creep up on you very gradual usually. this will help not  to crash or soar overboard with the meds. I am still on my rollercoaster rideof getting stable! but at least my palps have gotten better as yours well too!

Just wanted you to know  they are very real! and yes they are linked to thyriod issues! Good luck
I have hashi and also have heart palpitations.  I just called the doctor today to request to have labs done.  Mine occur mostly in the evening when I lay down to go to sleep.  Sometimes I stay awake for hours because I am afraid to sleep.  It is also very bad if I wake up in the night and first thing in the morning.  It is very scarey.  It seems for me any dose of levothyroxine does it.  I am now down to 50 mcg and it is getting really bad again.  
Goolarra - Should the palpitations continue, I will have to keep the beta blockers in mind.  I was really reluctant to try them, but after reading your post, if I finally get to the point where I cannot deal with the palpitations, I will try them.

azqtpies and rad44 - Thank you both for your posts.  I would not wish the heart palpitations on anyone, but I am so grateful to hear that I'm not the only one suffering from them.  I wish you both the best and hope that someday everything will even out for all of us.

As for me, I too felt as though the levothyroxine made my palpitations worse initially.  I actually was on 50mcg at first, then backed off to 25mcg for 4 weeks, then back up to 50mcg.  Slowly but surely, as my TSH level lowered, the palpitations seemed to lessen.  That is until the last few days, but hopefully this is just a short phase.

rad44, I found it difficult to sleep even after my cardiologist told me everything was fine.  I feel your pain and know your fears.  Try not to worry though - it sounds like you're going through the same thing that I did.  And while I am still having them, it has gotten better!  Have you seen a cardiologist?  It may make you feel better.

Maybe a positive side to having Hashi's was that when I felt my worst, I made a decision to try and be as healthy as I possibly could be.  So I have cut out ALL caffeine, which seems to have helped, and changed my diet.  I also quit smoking (a pack a day) as I figured at the very least, it certainly couldn't have been helping with the palpitations. ;-)
Hello I am fairly new to the forum and was recently well about a month and half ago diagnosed and can not seem to get any help though I can not even get my Dr.s office to forward my results to anyone since I need a referral to get HELP I am at the end of my rope,I just want to get better. I too have heart palpitations,tired to the point I do not even want to move just an awful feeling and etc. I also suffer from anxiety so this sometimes just makes that worse as well. I just do not know what to do or where to turn. I am 35 years old and want to enjoy my life not wonder if today is going to be another bad day. It is a scary thing feelings and I am glad I found this forum. Next though I just have to figure out what in the world to do. If people at the front at these offices just knew what they put the patients through.
Unfortunately, we often have to really beat up our doctors to let them know how bad we feel.  Call them and let them know how miserable you are and that you need a referral TODAY.  Sometimes you just have to squeak a bit louder than the next wheel to get any attention.  Can you refer yourself to an endo?  Some health plans allow that.    
I wholeheartedly agree with Goolarra.  If they're not helping you over the phone, I would make an appointment with your Doc and request a referral in person.

You need to be your own advocate when it comes to your health because no one is going to do it for you.  At the very least, get your Doc's office to make copies of your medical records and give them to you.  They HAVE to release your records to you - don't let them tell you that they don't.

My brother had the same issue with his Doc this year - he would not give him a referral.  So he switched PCPs and found one who would give him the referral he was requesting.
Thanks to you both for the advice. What I did manage was to gather some strength and call the place I had the lab work done and went myself to pick up a copy so at least this way I have the results in hand if I just have to go to a general practice Dr. It is wearing me down even more with all of this and today I call another GP and guess what THEY too are not taking new patients. I just seem to be running into a wall in every way. It is so hard when you have no energy in the first place then what little you muster is a let down. Thank you to both for the advice and concern.
FINALLY found a GP and I have an appointment this Friday.I hope all goes well. I am really getting down about all this.
Well, I'm glad to hear things are progressing.  Hang in there...things WILL get better.  Do you want to post the results of your labs?  We might be able to suggest questions for your doctor or further testing to be done. If so, post reference ranges also.  Best of luck on Friday.
i also been diagnosed with hypo and until 3 days ago i've been having heart palpitations as well. in the middle of january it would be my 6th month on levothroid. i was first given 75mcg and 3 months later given a higher dosage of 125mcg. about 3 days ago i started feeling heart palpitations but didnt think it was related to my thyroid problem. i was scared to fall asleep at nights since thats when i would feel it the most. on 12/26/09 i woke up at 3am to a very rapid heart beat and was scared. i went to the ER and also had an EKG done. the dr said that my heart was perfect and that this happens to people with thyroid problems. she also said that it might be an anxiety attack. she ran several blood tests to see if anything else was the problem but everything came back ok. she also ran another test to see if my dosage may need to be highered...which she said that it could be the reason why im feeling this way. i'll know my results in a couple of days.

just reading all these comments has made me less scared about the palpitations im experiencing. although it's still a scary feeling im happy to know that it's not only me.
Hi.  I have had heart palpitations for a solid week.  I also have Hashimoto's.  My TSH=27.160, FT3=.3, FT4=0.55.  The nurse practitioner told me to stay on 50 mcg. Levothyroixine, DC the Cytomel 10 mcg 2x day, and recheck blook after fours weeks.  The Levothyroxine seems too low to me.  Any comments?  Also, I cut out caffeine and that seems to have helped a lot with the palpitations.  Please respond with comments.  Sunshine
What are the ranges on your FT3 and FT4?

So, you've been on 50 mcg levo plus 20 mcg Cytomel until recently?  How long have you been on the Cytomel?

Do you have hypo symptoms?
I get heart palps when a little hyper or hypo. Just had it for a month again -my levels have been messed up but are getting better and the palps are way less finally. Esspecially irritating trying to sleep when it feels like your heart is making you whole body move in bed. My heart is in good shape - its all from Hashimoto.

You really need to get your Frees in the range that works for you per what goolarra mentioned. For most people your TSH would be in hypoland- but you must know the Free thyroid hormone levels.
i've had heart palpatations since i was 13 and they were always scary, my heart would race or skip beats or "flutter" i guess i should say and i got tested for thyroidism but i didnt have it back then. but i'm almost 22 now and for the past 3 weeks my hearts been racing for no reason at all, just me standing up real quick or doing a simple task or right when i wake up in the morning it starts racing and palpatating, so i got blood tests done and i have hyperthyroidism. i've only been on methimazole for 2 days and my heart palpations are still really bad, i thought that once i started the medication it might help but it doesnt seem to, i'm so worried about this.
I'm still new with the thyroid.  I don't know if this helps any but I've read a large amount of google research on magnesium deficiency being a big cause of heart palpitations, muscle cramps, high blood pressure, etc.  I recommend reading up on it and trying adding magnesium-rich foods (especially bananas and broccoli) to see what happens.  Your doctor might even do a magnesium test for you.

Here's some sites from google:
http://www.ctds.info/heart-palpitations.html
http://george-eby-research.com/html/depression-anxiety.html

Hope you feel better.  God bless you.
Give the ATMs a chance to work, but if the palps and tachy persist, ask your doctor about adding a beta blocker.  BBs do wonders for the heart issues, and their effects are pretty immediate.  

Since your palps and tachy predated your hyper, have you ever been tested for an arrhythmia?  Often, excess thyroid hormone will aggravate arrythmias.  It wasn't until I was on levo (too much, too soon) that I discovered I have Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome, a congenital heart defect that makes me susceptible to tachy and palps.  It sounds like your tachy is episodic rather than a generally higher HR?
Hi there,  I have been having problems lately with my thyroid.  I was doing fine until last nov.  I became very stressed out and the palpatations started.  I have had a couple in the past but now they are every day some times multiple times.  I was told my tyroid levels are on the high side of normal but white blood cells are high as well.  I hate these palpatations.  I was so happy to read this posting and see that I am not alone.  Make me want to cry.:(  probably because my hormones are out of wack.  A year ago I started telling my doc that my period was off and they did ultrasounds, sent me to a specialist and nothing came back irregular.  He started to think I was losing my mind when I was constantly going to emerg when the palpatations came.  Now I know there is nothing wrong with my heart and I need answers.  Do you have any suggestions?
When I was Hypo I had horrible palpitations - like a sudden irregular thumping that I could feel in my throat almost like my heart was struggling to pump and there were missed beats and a delay before the next beat. I'm not surprised you feel unwell still with a tsh of over 4. I know that's in the normal range but what they don't tell you is that the distribution of tsh values plots into a bell curve that is skewed to the left - i.e the mean, mode values are about 1 ish. So unless you're tsh level hovvers around this common value then you're probably being undertreated. Google this graph - show your doctor - insist you get treated so that you're tsh levels falls to around 1 or less. Then the heart symptoms should subside. Oh and also don't let them say it's because of the thyroxine replacement - that's a whole different symptom - also called palpitations tho so that's why they get confused - rapid heartbeat  - totally different. Also ask tham to treat the person, look at the clinical signs and syptoms (symptoms) and not just the blood test values - often the values do not reflect what is actually going on with you.

Good luck

Helen x
I requested my doc to order a TSH last fall as I had all the classic symptoms.  In addition to the typical ones, I also developed palpitations.  The TSH came back elevated, although not terribly so.  My doc deemed me "sub-clinical" and not someone who required treatment.  

I'm troubled by the fact that I have also been hypertensive for the last year as well-chronically 150's over 90's.  My doc also finds this not too terribly important.  I am a healthy 45-year old woman.  

Now, the palpitations are almost unbearable.  They were typically happening at night, but now occur during the day as well.  I have had a sensation of fullness in the neck for over a year, which I blamed on my weight gain.  Now it sometimes feels like it will suffocate me.  Of course, feeling anxious about it doesn't help.

So.....is it reasonable for me to be hypothyroid and have palpitations as well?
Some people have palpitations with hyop, some with hyper, and some have them whenever the thyroid hormones are off in either direction.

What was your TSH?  Did your doctor test free T3 and free T4, or just TSH?

HBP is usually a symptom of hyper  The fullness in the neck is associated with Goiter (swelling) of the thyroid and/or thyroid nodules.

If you haven't had any tests but TSH, you should ask someone to order them.  It would also be a good idea to have thyroid antibodies tested to see if you have an autoimmune thyroid disease, Grave's (hyper) or Hashi's (hypo).  The two main antibody tests are TPOab and TGab.  The results of the "frees", TSH and antibodies will give you a much better profile of your thyroid function and indicate where you should go from there.

You might also ask your doctor about a beta blocker.  BBs really help palps for most people and with your HBP, they also have the added advantage of lowering BP.

Have you had a cardiac workup as well?
Please describe what you are referring to as palpitations.  
I'm gonna jump on in and comment on this thread due to the fact that i have developed additional heart issues after the TT and not being at the right levels as of yet.

I've had HBP prior to the TT however it has increased eversince and to add to that, i have increased, heart palps, (on occasion) skipped or extra heartbeats...(all day long.) I've had a 24hr holter monitor which detects extra beats. I was recomended to have a Stress Test and that was abnormal. My Cardiologist is One who agrees with me and thinks that the issues that i am having are due to the Thyroid issues and especially because my levels (thyroid) are still off..(my last labs in march showed TSH at 16 which increased since my previous in Feb) and i will discuss with my Endo during my followup on monday.

)  
  Hi Everyone,     Just one more with heart palpitations.  I usually get them at night when I lay down.  I can FEEL  and HEAR my heart skip and flutter.  It lasts about 3 to 5 minutes, kinda off and on.  I had an EKG, and everything looked ok.  I also have Hashimoto, and had my Snythroid increased from .37 to .50. I really think it's just the Hashimotos, because I've had this for a few years now off and on.  On meds and off meds.  Do you think maybe if we go a little on the hyper side, it sets off the palipitations?  I know with me, because of having a couple of nodules, I sometimes go hyper.  Just wondering.
I get a combination of palpitations (heavy, thumping heartbeat) and tachycardia (rapid heartbeat).  For me, being slighly hyper definitely increases the episodes.  I have a congenital heart defect which makes me susceptible to tachy.  However, that was completely under control without meds and only happened a few times a year.  Enter levo, and the episodes increased in both frequency and duration.  Just after my PCP started me on 88 mcg (waaaay too much), my HR was over 200 for more than 12 hours.  I cut back, and never had that long an episode again, but was starting to have them 10-20 times a day, especially between when I went to bed at night and when I fell asleep...quite a trick to accomplish that (falling asleep) between episodes of tachy!

Believe me, I absolutely hate the idea of having to take something to counteract the effects of another drug.  However, I had no choice.  I have Hashi's, so going without levo was not an option.  I started on a beta blocker, which helps the palps/tachy tremendously.

blsdnsvd, it helps lower BP, too.  I agree that once your meds are adjusted properly, you will most likely have fewer heart issues.  My case is different because my heart is "miswired", but I'm kind of the canary in the coal mine...very sensitive to the changes in hormone levels because of the heart defect, so kind of a more exagerated response than you guys have.  
My daughter (nine and born without a thyroid) was diagnosed with PVC's (holter moniter study) last year while on Synthroid. Her T4 was way too high and her freet3 was way too low (conversion issue). Her thyroid hormones were very imbalanced then and her TSH was always around 3.5. I switched doctors and changed her to desiccated thyroid to get the freet3 higher in the range and the freet4 down to mid range or slightly above. This of course lowered her TSH to under 1 (close to 0). She no longer has the PVC's which always happened when she would try to exert herself in even the smallest way. She felt it as rapid/fast beating, like she just ran the 50 yrd. dash. For her getting the available t3 was the answer to the weird heart beats. Now that the freet3 and freet4 are kept more closely balanced (with the freet3 slightly higher then the t4)and both are on the upper half of the bell shaped curve for normal range, the PVC's that she was diagnosed with are no longer happening (gone/resolved for over 1 year now!)( By the way- the pediatric endo. said it wasn't related to her levels as she was in normal range-only problem was that she never checked her freet3 level AND the pediatric cardiologist was a total bafoon and had no idea how not having a thyroid could effect her heart and could only recommend that my low metabolic daughter lose 30 lbs.) I fired both of these doctors on the spot!!!!! Hope our experience with idiot doctors/specialist and with this scary SYMPTOM of thyroid hormone imbalance will be of some help to all who need to figure this out and hopefully get it to cease as our hearts have to last us a life time!  Good luck and God Bless!
Hi....
I was happy when my cardiologist who i just started seeing because of these issues agreed with me and decided to wait and watch while my levels become normal until he does anything. If another doc tells me that my issues regarding my heart or any other developed issue after the TT has nothing to do with the Thyroid..."I will Scream" and then change doctors. I know my body and that's that! It's just sad that no one tells you the he// you have to go through when your thyroid is gone or not working just to feel normal again.  Thank You...and May God Bless you and your Daughter as well.....
I feel the heart palpitations every now and then as well...but not as much since my endo has gotten my tsh down to 1.9 .  Most people feel their best with the tsh inbetween 1 and 2.  having 5 be the high end of normal is really old and out dated.  Getting my tsh down has also helped me improve my blood pressure as well.  They SAY hypo people have lower blood pressure and slow pulse, but i was opposite.  I'm not sure if having HASHI's flip flopped me or not or maybe the really low Vitamin D played a role too.  But i was all backwards.

I still have quite a few of the other hypo symptoms though..sadly.  Still trying to get everything straight as I've only had my autoimmune dx for about 6 or so months so I'm still learning how this affects me. (dx'd hypo 5 years ago)

I hope this info helps someone! :-)
I have been having palpitations for the last 2 years (my PCP told me it would just go away on its own) after seeing a cardiologist we found my TSH is 7.5, so now im headed to an endocrinologist for the first time. (i also got rid of that PCP this is the second time he told me somthing was 'nothing' when it was somthing that could turn life threatening) the palpatations are now near constant and to the point where daily activites are difficult. I hope they are related so i can just treat one and be done with it. the symptoms for hypothyroidism were so subtle and started so long ago (about 10 years) that i dont remember what it feels like to be 'normal' my TSH isnt as bad as others but i have pritty much all the symptoms and theyve been there for awhile. im so ready for relief.
I have Hypothyroidism, Hashimoto's, Heart palpitations and Lymes Disease. Also hyperparathyroidsim.  Had very bad palpitations for 3 yrs and couldn't even get out of bed or off the sofa. Now I only get them slightly here and there. I had high blood pressure and then the next minute it went down too low. It was very unstable as was my heart rhythm. My heart rate would go up to 166 highest down to 45 in a minute. It was crazy! Been better since I was put on Synthroid a month ago.  
Hi All - Just wanted to add that I am currently on 112mcg of Synthroid and 25 of Cytomel.  Since adding the Cytomel a few months ago, the palpitations finally went away!  I have a couple of minor episodes per month now, instead of every day - a huge relief!  I guess adding the Cytomel has helped my body convert the Synthroid, which has made me finally feel pretty good for the first time in a couple of years!
hi! i am going on 23 yrs of age and i have hypothyroidism. i was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (graves disease) when i was 13 which is really rare for being that young. i had to have radiation treatment to kill the excess thyroid, but instead it killed the whole thing, which is why i know have hypothyroidism. i take 125mcg of synthroid every morning. right before i had it increased from 112 mcg, to 125 mcg i had a severe case of svt while i was at work. i almost passed out and my hr was going so fast u could see my corotid arteries in my neck pumping with every hr beat. my hr peaked at 210. as soon as i got to the hospital it started to slow down then everything went back to normal. after this happened i went to a cardiologists who performed additional tests and ekgs, and i had a 24 hr hr monitor, but he said everything appeared normal. ever since this happened to me i have been having major heart palpitations, sometimes so scary that im scared to go to sleep. i thought maybe my medication was too high for me but my endo said its what i need and that it wouldnt be causing these palpitations. i dont know what to do, it usually happens at night, but then is gone in the morning. throughout the day when i running around alot (im a cna) it happens periodically. its just scary not knowing what the cause is. i know that some complications of hypothyroidism is heart disease if not treated properly, and it just scares me. is anyone else experiencing this?
Many of us who are prone to heart arrhythmias have problems with thyroid meds, especially when increasing meds. "Palpitations" is often a confusing term.  Do you have rapid HR or a heavy, pounding HB, or both?

Also, please post your FT3, FT4 and TSH levels and their reference ranges.  Ranges have to come from your own lab report as they are lab specific.

I had tachycardia and palpitations, too, and my PCP swore the thyroid meds were not causing it...WRONG.  I ended up having to take a beta blocker to counter the side effects of the meds.

If you can provide your labs, we can offer ore specific information.

My daughter also had PVC's in her lower right ventrical while on Synthroid.(dx. by pediatric cardiologist with EKG and heart monitor study-revealed 88 in 20 days) Scary stuff and not your imagination. My daughter felt hers as a rapid beat any time she would begin to exert herself ex: running up stairs, dribblig basketball, etc. It was like she had just run the 50 yard dash, and her heart was going way too fast for such little activity. She would stop out of breath and say "feel my heart" Her endo. like yours, said it would have nothing to do with her thyroid levels, or medication, or being born without a thyroid.The cardiologist said he didn't know how not having a thyroid gland could effect a heart? (idiots!)  Couldn't get the endo. to check her freet3 level, so I found a doctor who would, low and behold it was very low in normal range, yet her Freet4 was very high. This was proof that she had a conversion issue and that she was not converting enough of the t4 (storage hormone) Synthroid into enough of the biologically active t3. The t3 is what makes everthing work right! Organs (heart), brain, metabolism (energy) etc.. It is the key in my opinion and many endo.s never check it and just assume that t4 is converting at the proper amount needed by the body to function right. We are talking cellular level here! Vital and crucial! My daughter, 1 and 1/2 years later now gets help with this process by her medication. She is on desiccated thyroid which has t3 in it as well as t4, t2, t1 calcitonan and selinium. There is also t3 that can be added to Synthroid if blood test show this is low and reveal a conversion problem. My daughter now has her freet3 level and freet4 level checked and we keep these both mid range or slightly higher. Just falling anywhere in normal range is not always okay. These two levels should not be at polar opposites with the t4 being very high in the range and the t3 being very low. This "out of balanceness" of thyroid levels is what caused my daughter's issue. She needed more t3. She gets it now and she no longer says "feel my heart mommy" Her PVC's are a thing of the past as well as many other hypothyroid symptoms. I hope our experience can be of some help to you.
Just a quick note to let you know I suffered from Hashi's for 12 years.  I also suffered from annoying PVC's for 12 years.  I never took synthroid because I was euthyroid and I had reactions to it.  So, even without taking thyroid hormone, I suffered somtimes debilitating PVC's a couple thousand of them a day.  It drove me nuts.  I was put on clonopin for a few years and they subsided, but came and went after I stopped taking the clonopin.  I still had episodes up until my TT 6/1/10.  It has been 6 weeks since my surgery, I am on synthroid and have not had one single PVC that I can speak of.  Hope that helps.  Also, if you feel hyperthyroid at times, Hashimotos can have a tendency to swing both ways and there is no way of predicting a surge so hormone suppression is iffy.  I think if you catch it early on it may work, but not in the later stages of the disease.

I actually was diagnosed with Hypothyrodisim after I awoke and my heart was going crazy.. I actually was diagoned with "broken heat syndrome" or "stress cardiomyopothy" which was due to my thyroid t4 leves being over 150!  Crazy I got to this point so fast as the prior year my thyroid level was only 1.58.  I was just given the green light by my cardio dr that my heart is fine but still have palpitations.  I was started on 25 mcg which did nothing as my levels were still over 150, then put on 50 mcg and am waiting for my new lab work to come in which they also tested my cortisol levels.  I cannot imagine waiting or dealing with heart palpitations for 3 years.  After knowing what already happened to my heart, that was a MAJOR scare being diagnosed with what they classify as congestive heart failure at 45 years of age.  I just pray every day that they can get my thyroid levels back to where they need to be.  Interesting to read about everyone elses experience and that I am not going crazy thinking I am the only one with the heart palps going on.  Interesting to read about the Cytomel in conjunction with the levothyroxine.
i experience the HEAVY pounding heart...that when I'm laying in the bed at night it feels like my whole bed is shaking. It's a very uncomfortable feeling. Also I generally have a "heartburn"-ish feeling with it like something heavy is sitting on my chest.
My heart palps are now gone since I swithched from Nature Throid to Canadian Erfa dessicated. Its about your levels, I could not adjust to Nature Throid so my labs were messed up. I feel better now and labs are better, thus, heart palps are gone. I have been thru that before so it didnt worry me. I had a full blown heart test - mine is A OK. It was from low thyroid.

Get this - my BP goes way up when hypo, its been at 155/90 from hypo. My only theory is the heart has to work harder when hypo.  Now its back to my normal of 110 ~ 115 / 70.
I am having the heart palpituation and thyroidism. My doctor my blood pressure pills, which has medic for my heart also. But when I have the palpituation I feel like I am have a discharge. I am taking Antonel twice a day
Man my energy went south after doc taking me off 2 grains westthroid
and going 1 grain Armor...I went downhill after a few months and I find by internet search that armour changed at it wasn't being assimilated..I had him switch me to naturethroid but I not doing any better..I bumped up two two grains but am getting flutter so I'm going back to 1 grain...My gp is as
experimental as I am..The endo not much better..I guess that's why they call it "practicing" medicine...I have been learning alot about Hashimoto's.
Even if 2 grains is the best final dose, jumping from one to two grains like that is more than many people can tolerate without a reaction.  I would suggest that you split the dosage into quarters and increase only a quarter grain at a time  and allow at least several weeks in between increases and see how that works for you.  Slow and steady is best for medication changes.  Many members also like to split their daily dosage of thyroid meds with T3 in them and take 1/2 in a.m. and the other 1/2 in early p.m.
I am a 59 year old female and have been on thyroid medicine since I was apx. 45.  Originally I started out on Armour with minor variations of strength.  
6 months ago I was put on 88 mcg of Levothyroxine AND 60 mg of Armour.  
Now the prescription has changed again to 100 mcg Synthroid AND 45 mg of Armour.

Is this normal is 1) take two different thyroid medications and 2) changes in dosage so often.

I just started the new Synthroid-Armour dosage yesterday morning and my heart feels like it's pounding....
It is not unusual to be taking two different medications.  It should be dependent on your levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, which are free T3 and free T4 (not total T3 and total T4).  FT3 is the most important, because it largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions.  Studies have also shown that FT3 correlated best with hypo symptoms, while TSH and FT4 did not correlate very well at all.  Symptom relief should be all important, not test results.  If you were not having symptoms when on your prior med dosage, why was it changed?

I would not expect to see a need for frequent changes in meds unless you have Hashi's, in which case you would be continually losing production of natural thyroid, and have to replace with increasing amounts of thyroid meds.  The other possibility we hear about regularly is when the doctor is (incorrectly) using TSH to diagnose and treat the patient.  TSH is a pituitary hormone that is affected by many variables to the point that it is inadequate as a diagnostic by which to medicate a thyroid patient..  

A good thyroid doctor will treat a thyroid patient clinically, by testing and adjusting levels of FT3 and FT4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not the test results.   The main value of test results is to establish a baseline and monitor changes in levels as progress is made in relieving symptoms.  Then you know the levels at which you feel best.

If you will post your thyroid test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report then members can help interpret and advise further.  

I also suggest that if you want to discuss this in depth, then you would be better off to start a new thread of your own by using the Post a Question button at top of the Forum main page.  That way you will get more attention and responses than by attaching to an old thread.  
I am so glad I found this site today. The last four weeks have been terrifying for me, as I was suffering from palpitations and tachycardia. This week, I finally went to the dr. and he diagnosed Panic Disorder without running tests, and sent me on my way with Zoloft and Zanax. That was two days ago. Yesterday, took my first dose of Zoloft. Later in the day, my palps started, so I took the zanax (very low dose) and after about 10 minutes, thought my heart was going to explode. Went to ER. EKG...whole shabang! They sent me home with no treatment and told me I had a perfectly healthy heart, and that I should follow up with a cardiologist. Got up this am with the same thing. This time I took no meds. Got to the ER and my BP was 150/120, heart rate 112, and I was scared. New dr. said he'd run the same tests they did the day before. This time I was given a beta blocker that helped. When the labs came back, he told me I had hypothyroidism. As soon as he left the room, called my doc to make an afternoon appt. Then I came home and started searching for my prob on the internet. What a relief it was to find this forum. I was so excited, and just knew I'd be okay. However, my doc tried to argue with the results and tell me what I had been going through were symptoms of hyper and not hypo. Was able to give him the info I found here and a few other places. Helps that my ex MOL had hashie and palpitations too. He's doing more tests, but did give me levothyroxine .25mcg to get me through the weekend. And now I know if the palps and tachy come back, I'll be just fine. THANKS from this stranger!!!!!
I'm so happy for you that you have found this place. I was so sick for 4yrs and I count my lucky stars for finding MedHelp. These forums saved my sanity.

After being diagnosed several times with doctors telling me I need psychological help, I was eventually diagnosed with Hashi's, Chronic Lymes disease, Extremely Low Vit.D, etc. A person knows when they're sick and my doctors at that time were not listening to me, but the people in these  forums were!

I thank everyone!!!!

I am looking for a new Endo Doctor in the New York - Staten Island area that will listen.  My son had his Thyroid removed a few years ago and he was able to get his levels under control, by switching doctors and switching meds.  At first he was taking levo and citomil with no help.  I had him switch doctors and he put him on Armour Thyriod all was fine.  Since the pass 1 year or so he has been complainting about his heart rapid hr. Has anyone else had any problem with new Amour Thyriod since they changed.  He has all of the test for his heart and the Cardio thought it was WOLF, but after going under cat lab surgery the Dr. did not find WOLF, but did find something and did ablashun.  He still has RHB, but his EKG is fine.  I'm at a lost any help would be great
You will get lots more response if you will start a new thread under your own name.  Just click on the green Post a Question button at top of page and post again.
Hello. I have palpitations too. Thank you so mucho for this forum. I need a god endocrinologist in Houston area.
Assuming that you have some thyroid issues, I wanted to point out to you that just because a doctor is an Endo doesn't mean that he is a good thyroid doctor.  Many of them specialize  in diabetes, not thyroid.  Also, many of them have the  "Immaculate TSH Belief", and only want to use TSH as the diagnostic for treatment.  Wrong.  Others like to use "Reference range Endocrinology" and will interpret  thyroid test results that falls anywhere within the ranges as being adequate for you.  Also wrong approach.  

A good thyroid doctor is one that will treat you clinically, for symptoms, by testing and adjusting the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4, as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.  

I have been making a list of doctors recommended by other members, but unfortunately I don't have one for the Houston area.  The best I can offer is this link to the site for Top Thyroid Doctors in Texas.  You can look through the doctors listed in the Houston area and read the patients' reviews and see if there are doctors that seem to treat patients clinically, for symptoms. Also, if they are willing to prescribe T3 meds like Armour, that is usually a good sign.  

http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/texas.htm
Hi!  Have you had your vitamin D level checked?  I am 36 and was diagnosed with Vitamin D Deficiency back in July after feeling dehydrated, dizzy and weak a couple of days after my normal weekly Zumba class.  I went to my PCP, who was on vacation and the nurse practioner decided to run some tests.  As an after thought she threw in a blood draw for Vitamin D.  My level was a 20.9, with the norm starting at 30 ranging to 100.  I was put on a high dose prescription for 12 weeks and started feeling pretty good after about the 5th week.  I, too, had palpitations.  They went away and recently came back and I had my TSH tested.  Turns out I have hypothryoidism, also.  Can't remember the exact number, but it was 4. something, so it's not that far off, but I've been prescriped 50 MCG of Levothyroxine a day.  I'm on day three of the pills and have noticed a difference already.  Palpitations are far and few between and I'm getting a little more energy.  I also had an EKG, chest x-ray and wore the 24 hour holter monitor.  My heart is good.  Vitamin D is something to check into, if they haven't tested your level yet.  It's an easy blood test.
I had the same thing happen to me - couldn't shake the heart palps.  Then someone told me to get off the Levothyroxine (generic) and go to the Synthroid instead. That fixed it.
good to know MK.  I will bring that up at my next appt.  Seems to have subsided for the most point.  They've cut me down to 1/2 a pill a day.  Sadly, I've heard from other people to get off of the generic.
How long taking the Synthroid did you notice a change with your heart palpitations?  I have just started initially, only a few days ago, and can tell a difference already but still have them every day.  My TSH was 69 so will take some time to get it regulated I'm sure.  My question is if there is any permanent damage that can be caused to the heart (valve problems, CHF?) with these every day palpitations.  Right now, exercise is out due to the shortness of breath.  
I had my thyroid removed March 21, 2011 due to cancer.  This has been a ride of my life.  No energy. Feeling like you are going to die from no strength.  I have tried Armour Thyroid, Cytome with no luck due to causing high blood pressure and headaches.I have been on  Levothyroxine 88 mcg for  almost 1 year. My TSH was 12 last time.Which is to high to not have a thyroid at all.  I have heart palps all the time. Feel dizzy and light headed alot. Been to Cardio for EKG last week all normal. I love my doc and he is willing to help but I am wondering if I may need to be on Synthroid and not generic. I am so worn out with this.   I to feel like I am at my end with 1 year of ups and downs.  Any advise will help.  I am 51 and consider myself healthy and active, but at this rate not much you can do.
You may be assuming that palps are only related to being hyper.  That is not the case.  

I think you should go in and request to be tested for the biologically active thyroid hormones, not just TSH.  TSH is a  pituitary hormone that is supposed to reflect accurately the levels of the actual thyroid hormones.  In short, it does not.  It cannot be shown to correlate well with either Free T3 or Free T4, much less with symptoms.  

After thyroid removal, I am very suspicious that your dosage of 88 mcg of T4 is inadequate.  I would suspect that much more than it being the wrong brand.  You can only be sure of your thyroid status by getting the Free T3 and Free T4 (not the same as Total T3 and Total T4 ) tests done.  If the doctor resists, then you should insist on it and don't take no for an answer.  I would also suggest testing for Vitamin D, B12, and a full test panel for iron anemia.

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting FT3 and FT4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.  You can gain some needed insight by reading this letter written by a good thyroid doctor for patients that he sometimes consults with from a distance.  The letter is then sent to the PCP of the patient to help guide treatment.

http://hormonerestoration.com/files/ThyroidPMD.pdf

If you get the Free T3 and Free T4 tests done, please get a copy of the lab report and post results and reference ranges shown on the report and members will be glad to help interpret and advise further.
Thank you so much for your imput.  I will request this be done.  I will read this article also. I have blood work scheduled for next Monday.  I am so tired of feeling that somethimg is going to happen.  That is the way that I have lived now for 1 year.  I will let you know when I get the results back how this turns out.  Support is so important when you feel there is no one else out there going through the same things.  Thanks again.  
My doctors office called today and advised that my levels were back to normal now. They did not give me the readings, but he did change my from generic to Syntroid, but did not change the mcg's.  I explained to him that I did have an EKG with no problems detected  I told him there are times during the day that I just feel like I could die.  He said to wait until the results come back.  Now that my levels are back to "normal", I am so curious if there is something else going on with my health beside my thyroid. My wonderful PCP has tested my blood for everything you can think of and I am in range on all of them.  Any suggestions now?  
Just because your thyroid test results are in the so-called "normal" ranges does not mean they are adequate for YOU.  Without getting into all the reasons why , I'll just say that the ranges are far too broad.  Studies have shown that healthy adults tend to fall in the upper half of the ranges for Free T3 and Free T4.  That is why we hear from so many members, myself included that symptom relief required that Free T3 was adjusted into the upper third of its range and Free T4 adjusted to around the middle of its range.

Recall that in the link I gave you above, the doctor stated that, "the ultimate
criterion for dose adjustment must always be the clinical response of the patient. I have prescribed natural dessicated thyroid for your patient (Armour, Nature-Throid) because it contains both T4 and T3 (40mcg and 9mcg respectively per 60mg). This assures sufficient T3 levels and thyroid
effects in the body. Since NDT has more T3 than the human thyroid gland produces, the well- replaced patient’s FT4 will be below the middle of its range, and the FT3 will be high “normal”or slightly high before the next AM dose."

When you go in for testing, you know which ones to insist on.  You might also make sure the people in the lab know it is to be for Free T3 and Free T4.  They often seem to operate on auto pilot and run the wrong tests.  You might also ask the doctor to test for possibility of adrenal fatigue, just to rule that out or in.

I would even go as far as giving a copy to the doctor, of the letter in the link I gave above and ask him about clinical treatment.
Meant to add, that if you can call and get the actual test results and reference ranges  and post them here, members will be glad to help interpret and advise further before your Monday appointment.
I finally received a copy today of the blood work that was done on 03/12/12.  The only test that was completed was a TSH.  The results were 0.491.  On the print out it is saying the range is 0.300 - 4.900.  I am still very confused on this reading.  This doctor has been super, but  was told that he is leaving and I am now have an appointment with a new Endo but can not see him until May 8, 2012.  I have now been on the name brand medication that I spoke of earlier and I may feel some different, but still very tired with heart palps and blurred dry eyes most days.  Can you tell anything by these results?  What I think is correct the last TSH was 12.  Still confused and not much better!
If you read through the link I gave you above, you notice that TSH is a pituitary hormone that is totally inadequate as the sole diagnostic for dosing a hypothyroid patient.  At best TSH is an indicator, to be considered along with more important indicators such as symptoms, and also  the levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4 (not the same as Total T3 and Total T4).  A doctor that only uses TSH to medicate a thyroid patient will not be successful in relieving symptoms, only in making lots of adjustments to TSH levels.

Frequently when a hypo patient is taking thyroid med, the TSH becomes suppressed.  That does not mean that you are hyper, unless you do have hyper symptoms, due to excessive levels of Free T3 and Free T4, which you do not know about.   Did you request to be tested for Free T3 and Free T4, along with the TSH?  If so, did the doctor make excuses and refuse to do those tests?

Other than having symptoms of being hypo,  we really have very little info to assess your thyroid status.  If I resort to my crystal ball, I'd say that I think your medication is inadequate for a patient after thyroid removal, unless you only weigh about 75 pounds.   LOL

You need to find a good thyroid doctor and get the right tests done and then members can help assess your status.  Until then we are basically flying blind.  

I would not put all my faith in the Endo, either.  Being an Endo doesn't guarantee a good thyroid doctor.  Many of them specialize in diabetes, not thyroid.  Also, many of them have the "Immaculate TSH Belief" and practice "Reference Range Endocrinology".   Either of these usually leaves a hypo patient with hypo symptoms, even though the Endo may be happy with your test results.

If you will tell us your location, perhaps we can help find a good thyroid doctor.  If not, then at least you need to find a way to go ahead and get tested for Free T3 and Free T4 now, so we can help interpret your status better.  
Thanks you for your response.  I was afraid this would not help.  I was reviewing my old blood work from the months after I had my surgery and I was tested then for the FT-3 and FT-4 which was done by an Endo. He would tell me my range was good and he did not one to be any higher for fear of my cancer returning.  He is the doctor that put me on 100 MCG then I started having the palps and he reduced it to 88 MCG which I have been on now for 10 months out the the 12 months. Cancer free 1 year March 21st. Thankful for that.  I go Tuesday for my sonogram and then will not see the doctor until May 8th.  I live in the Tri City Area of Kingsport TN. We do not have a large selection in this area. If you know anyone in this area I would be open to those names. Thanks once again. Seeming always NEEDY to feel better!  
Do you have the actual results from the Free T3 and Free T4 tests?  If so, please post.

I do have a name of a member recommended thyroid doctor in Knoxville.  Is that close enough to be of interest to you?

When you go in for the sonogram, would it be possible to get your doctor to test for Free T3, and Free T4?  Also, Vitamin D, B12,  ferritin, and a full iron test panel?  You really need to know where these are currently.  It would be worth pushing the doctor as hard as necessary to get agreement for these additional tests.  
Knoxville is about 2 hours from where I live, but I would travel that far if need be.  These results are from 10/10/11 which were done at the Endo before he left and I started going to my PCP.  
TSH
THS value=0.31
B12 value = 583
THYROID IV (FT4,TSH)
T4 FREE value = 0.89
TSH value = 0.18

Prior to this test on 07-16-11
T4 FREE = 0.89
THS = 0.18
B12= 583
Results read: TS
H is slightly low, indicating high dose of thyroid hormone. Normal B12 level.

In January of 2012 my PCP advised my Vitamin D level was around 37 and he put me on 5,000 units a day. At one time I thought my Iron level was on one of these reports and was told it was good.  The ferritin I am not sure if i have had or not. It seems that on a test result sheet this was listed in range. I have not received copies of test results expect the one showing the TSH stated in on of the earlier messages.  I have been out most of the day with a friend shoppig for a couch.  Not alot of stress or physical activity and I am now back worn out and feel I need to just lay down. How sad is this?  I am a 51 year old female with a healthy weigth of 143, I do not smoke, drink.  I try so hard to walk at least 20-30 minutes a day when I feel like it. I have wondered if it could be something to do with beoming a diabetic.On this blood work I have a reading that says A1C HEMOGLOBIN = 5.2 AVERAGE BLOOD GLUCOSE = 87.  I am sure this is the test he did to run that out.  I only have an appointment at a center for my sonogram without seeing a doctor.  I will call my PCP on Monday and request from them to see if they will order these. Thanks so much again.              
Sending PM with name of doctor recommended by fellow member.

Those thyroid test results don't help much.  Need the reference range for Free T4 test.  If range is what I normally see, then your Free T4 is low in the range.  I would also expect the same for Free T3.  Se'll see when you get those tests done, hopefully Monday.  
Thank you for the PM on the doctor in Knoxville.  Also, I looked up the range on the T4 Free and it says 0.50 - 1.40. Thanks and I will not post again until I get updated results.
I'm a 48 year old female and my TSH levels shot up to 79.9 when the doctors finally agreed with me that I have a thyroid problem. I had been really skinny all my life and all of a sudden I was tired had extreme weight gain. head aches. Everything in my body hurts and I had started collapsing lungs. I have told my doctor that I think I suffer from Hashimoto but he disagrees with me. I've been spending the last 2 years just doing blood tests every 3 months. My tsh levels are either 0 or 49.9. I take 88mg of levoxal, 6 times a week. Recently I lost a lot of weight very fast. About as fast as I had gained it and the heart palpitations have started. The only thing that helps stop them are pain killers. Percocets to be exact. If you run across any answers please let me know. As for me I'm off to convince my doctor that I need help. I just want to feel normal again.
Is TSH the only thyroid test your doctor is running on you?  He should be running Free T3 and Free T4, every time he orders blood work.  You should also get the antibody tests, Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPOab) and Thyroglobulin (TGab) to confirm/rule out Hashimoto's.

With the weight loss, it sounds as though you might be hyper, but without adequate testing, it's impossibly to know.  

TSH is a pituitary hormone and is totally inadequate to diagnose or treat a thyroid condition.  If your doctor refuses to test for the active thyroid hormones (FT3 and FT4), you should seriously think about finding another, or ask for a referral to an endocringologist; however, not all endos are good thyroid doctors, since many of them specialize in diabetes, not thyroid.

Please post whatever other thyroid test results you have, along with reference ranges, which vary lab to lab and must come from your own report.
I have a new update to post and still no blood work.  I had my thyroid sonogram and was told that it was very good with nothing showing for the 1 year return.  Thank goodness for that.  I then went to my PCP that afternoon and explained all the symptoms that I was having and she pulled up a prior report from my heart doctor and she feels that I am not having heart palps, but he had reported that my holter showed PVC's and she feels that is what I am having.  She is slowing taking me off of my Beta Blocker thinking this may be the medication that is making me so tired and worn out.  She has written a script for a mild does of Paxil that I will start in another week when I am off of the Beta Blocker.  She feels I am having alot of anxiety and wants me to take this for 4 weeks then come in for a full blood workup on all the the Free T-3 and Free T-4's and the other things that you had listed.  I have been very tired this week and my heart has been crazy and I am not sure if the chest discomfort is from the worry, but I am feeling like I could just fall down again.  She does not feel that the PVC's are to worry about due to the heart test that I have had showing no heart disease.  Very needy again and very tired.    
Paxil is an antidepressant, which may or may not help you. Some years ago, I had a doctor who insisted that I was tired because I was depressed, I insisted that I was depressed because I tired (there is a difference), but he didn't try to find the cause for my fatigue; simply put me on Paxil......... bad choice.

The Paxil made me even more tired than I was to begin with....... After 2 weeks on it I took myself off it, because once it kicked in, there was no way I could stay awake and I had to work every day.  Turns out that, at that time, my underlying issue was pernicious anemia, not depression, but the doctor never even ran tests.

Hypothyroidism can cause anxiety, which can cause all kinds of weird feelings in your heart (had a bunch of them); that said, not all anxiety is thyroid related, but there are other meds that could work better for you than Paxil.   Of course, that's just my opinion, based on my experience with it.

Post labs and reference ranges as soon as you can, so we can try to help you further.
HI ALL - THYROID CAN BE THE ISSUE BUT IT COULD ALSO BE YOUR OVARIAN HORMONES RISING / FALLING  OR SIMPLY DECLINING WITH AGE ...  I SUGGEST TO EVERY WOMAN OUT THERE TO GET A HOLD OF A COPY OF AN EXCELLENT BOOK CALLED

IT'S MY OVARIES STUPID  (REVISED EDITION)  

BY DR. ELIZABETH VLIET M.D.     SHE EXPLAINS IT ALL SO WELL AND HOW RISING AND FALLING HORMONES  OR HORMONES IN THE WRONG RATIO TO EACH OTHER CAN TRIGGER THOSE VERY SYMPTOMS ... SHE ALSO EXPLAINS THE IMPORTANCE OF AN OPTIMAL ESTRADIOL LEVEL  NOT JUST A "NORMAL" LAB

IF YOU READ THE BOOK PLEASE FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME AT

***@****         with  Stupid Ovaries in the subject

BECAUSE , I WOULD LOVE TO GET SOME DISCUSSION GOING AND SHARE EXPERIENCES
Update on blood work.  My doctor has taken me off of my beta blocker and for a week or two I thought I was feeling better and now I am back to being so tired again.  She has talked to me about chronic fatigue.  My vitiamin D and B 12 was in range.  This is what is listed for the Thyroid blood work:
Thyroxine T4 Free Direct 1.75 range 0.82-1.77
TSH 0.652 Range 0.450-4.500
Comments on blood work keeping levels on low side for prior thyroid cancer results.  I do not see where a T3 Free was looked at. Please advise your thoughts on this.  Still have the pvc's pretty much daily.    
I posted a new blood work test and sent it to myself by accident.  Could you pick this up and look over this please?  Thanks.
I am new to this forum however have found it sooo interesting, I have been suffering from tachy and palps for approx 3-4 years, They are scarey as hell and although they happen on occasion through the month they increase very much about a week before my period, I also suffer from hypo thyriodism and hashimotos, Ifind all of this so informative, Thankyou all for sharing!!
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and found it to be comforting knowing that others are having similar symptoms as me.  In October, 2011 I had a TT due to finding follicular and papillary cancers.  Thankfully there was no evidence of metastasis in the lymph nodes that they also removed.  They also took out two parathyroid glands which were enlarged but not malignant.  After the surgery and being on Cytomel I felt pretty good until the endo started to play with the dosage and it put me in the ER with wicked ventricular tachycardia along with something else which I cannot remember.  They ended up giving me a cardizem push twice...something I don't want to happen again.  They were going to perform an ablation but fortunately the electro physiologist thought that the problem was do to the Cytomel...smart man.  During the no iodine period for RAI ablation I did not experience any form of tachycardia until the endo started me on Synthroid at the end of January 2012.
  Then I started to experience weight gain, feeling as though I was shaking inside, increased PVCs, tightness or irritation in the throat, etc.  I had various heart tests and I have an ICD implanted profilactically since I have Sarcoidosis in my lungs, so they are also able to check on my heart function anytime and everything is always within normal limits.  The endo wants me on 250mcg of Synthroid (currently on 175mcg) and every time I increase it, even by 12.5mcg or less I get worsening PVCs and atrial tachycardia (I have had recurring PVCs and atrial tachycardia periodically before but not to the frequency as now).  When I talk to my endo she just tells me that my TSH is still too high (currently 18.75 - down from 55) and wants it below 1 because of the cancer.  My
T4 Total is 10.0 ---------Range: 4.5 - 12 mcg/dl
Free T4 index 3.1--------Range: 1.4-3.8
T3 uptake 31--------------Range: 22-35%
She put me on Tirosint at the beginning of July and that just caused severe constipation, bloated ness, and it felt as though someone was putting their hands around my throat.  The doctor said that it was due to being hypo but when I checked with the pharmacist, who suggested that I go back on Synthroid, which I did, and the side effects disappeared.  I made an appointment with another group of endocrinologists, who, as I understand it, have a different approach to this issue and not just what the pharmaceutical companies sell.  I would appreciate any feedback.
hi! i am so happy to find this forum to. Almost 4 months ago i had to take the radiation pill to kill off my thyroid from being hyper. Being off of thyroid pills and just waiting for it to go hypo is frustrating. They say it can take up to 6 months to work. I to just started having the paplitations again. Its such a scary feeling. When I first started feeling them i had my heart checked EKG, blood work, everything. Turned out my thyroid levels were through the roof. I do know that its a cause from my levels shooting up and killing the thyroid. After reading everyones posts im wondering that i my have more episodes once I go hypo and try and get my levels to were there supposed to be. Any advice from someone who has taken this pill? Thank you :)
hello goolarra
I was just browsing through on a searcher and found you. I thought your explanation of thyroid disease was the best I have seen and put it up on HealthUnlocked...which is a thyroid site. My admin says:
Hi ellarose, can you please include a link to the site that you've copied this from and if possible, acknowledge the author so that their copyright is not blatantly ignored. Thanks.
You can find us at :
http://thyroiduk.healthunlocked.com/blogs/520672/Best-simple-explanation-of-our-thyroid-problem-I-have-seen-yet-Especially-for-those-recently-diagnosed?ref=email_individual#520896

I have put this site up and in doing so hope I have achnowledged you! It was three years ago so hope you can remember writing it!
How could I forget?  It may be three years ago, but I've been writing it over and over for the past three years as well!  As you mentioned, not a lot has changed in the interim in thyroid care.

Of course, in the UK, FT3 and FT4 tests can be almost impossible to get, unless you go private.    

Thanks for the link, and I'm glad you found it useful.
I have been having trouble with heart racing and irregular beats off and on for several years and panic attacks. My TSH will be elevated at times but T3 and T4 are within range most often. I have Hashimotos which means I have antibodies attacking my thyroid. The problem with treating just the thyroid is that it's like putting a bandaid on it. With this type of problem you have to get your whole body back into balance. A lot of times the problem could have started with food allergies such as gluten sensitivity. You have to look at the whole body to find the cause not just try to treat the symptoms. If you go to www.bodylogicmd.com and find a doctor in your area they will test you for everything that can cause the thyroid problems and treat your whole body for anything that comes up being out of balance. I have just recently gone to them and am about to start on things to get my stomach bacteria back in balance, avoid all the foods I am allergic to, gluten free diet, thyroid booster which is desiccated thyroid, probiotics and a detox shake. I hope all of this works but it makes sense to treat the possible causes so the problem won't keep coming back and to try to get the antibodies being produced to stop
Woman that are menopausal might want to look into hormone replacement I have noticed since i have been on the HR my palpitations have minimized. I also do not have a thyroid and have hashimoto's disease. It is so frustrating being hypo and menopause and people think your crazy.
hi i hve jst read all your comments i   have been having palpitations for years and have had enough.i had most of thyroid removed 18 years ago when i hve hd bloods done it said i hve antibodies suggestive of autoammune disease i was told this is ok,what does it mean do i hve hashimotos
Do you know which antibodies were elevated?  Elevated TPOab (thyroid peroxidase antobodies) and/or TGab (thyroglobulin antibodies) indicates Hashi's.  Elevated TSI would indicate Graves'.  

Please post your actual level with reference ranges (ranges vary lab to lab so have to come from your own lab report).

ALso, if you'd like to post your most recent thyroid panel, we can have a look at that.

It might be a good idea to do that in a new thread.  Go to the top of the page, click the orange "Post a Question" button and follow instructions.  This is an old and long thread that takes ages to load.  
thankyou for taking time to reply,i hve seen gp today and wil have bloods tytaken monday.my last bloods taken july last year showed levels of antibodies to be way over 1000 he said was high but didnt mean i have a problem so a bit confusing.i wil try to get copy of those results and the new ones but you knw wot its like in england.the thyroid is a complicated thing.how comes you understand it so well!!!!im a nurse and i dont get it i think my brain has gone
Elevated antibodies really only tell you the cause of your hypothyroidism.  The antibodies attack thyroid cells, and the only effects you really feel from them are hypo symptoms (once they've destroyed enough thyroid function to make you hypo).  

Since most of your thyroid was removed, the doctor probably feels there's little tissue left to destroy, so the high antibodies really aren't a factor for you.  Antibodies are mainly a factor in the early stages of the disease when there's still quite a bit of thyroid function left.  At that point, they can cause swings in thyroid levels, making you hypo, then hyper, then hypo again.  As the antibodies kill off cells, the cells "dump" hormones into the blood, raising levels.  

When you get your lab results (don't forget the ranges), start a new thread, and we can comment on your individual concerns.  For some reason, this thread is just painfully slow loading this morning.  

I had my trials and tribulations with Hashi's.  Due to inept doctors, I was forced to learn about it...hey, it got interesting!  LOL  
Hi there goo you seem to be the gooru so to speak on thyroid and I could use some advice.

Been diagnosed on and off since 1999 with under active thyroid.  Currently I'm taking 100mcg levothyroxine and I feel like crap.  Heart palpitations are becoming unbearable and are worse when I try to sleep. Still losing hair by the handful too.

My biggest issue is no medical insurance.  I go to a clinic for my meds/bloodwork and all they run is TSH and diagnose from there.

I don't really know what else to do or who to turn to for help.  The palpitations are really worrying me.  I just want them to stop.

I look forward to any replies.  Thanks in advance.
Have you discussed your palps with the clinic?  I'd think that would be something they'd find it hard to ignore.

Without labs, it's hard to tell you which direction you need to go in.  My best guess (and that's exactly what it is) is that you are either undermedicated or need to be taking T3 as well as the T4 in levo.  

It's not a replacement for getting your thyroid levels right, but a beta blocker would probably help a lot with the palps.

Can you find a spare $85?  For that, you can self order FT3, FT4 and TSH online ($85 for all 3).  You don't need a doctor's order to get them, they send you to a local lab for the draw and they send the results directly to you.  Perhaps, with results in hand, you could convince someone at the clinic to adjust/change your meds???  Our members have had good luck with healthcheckusa.  We can help you interpret your results and point you in a direction.

I have read your posting, I suffer the same symptoms.  I have noticed that every time I eat a meal that has iodine, such as fish, my heart palpitations go down.  Just wanted to share this with you.
I just got home from the ER where I went because I had a sudden spike in blood pressure in hypertension zone with heart palpitations, shortness of breath and nausea. They did a complete work up on me and said everything looked good except for my blood pressure. Then they said that my hypothyroidism could be causing the heart palpitations. This is really scary. I thought I was having a stroke or a heart attack last night. I was scared to go to sleep for fear I wouldn't wake up.
I am going to my regular doctor to get a new thyroid work up on me. I'll take the advice in this thread and make sure to get the free t3,4 tests.
I hope everyone on this thread is doing better now. Please post updates when you can!!
I believe goolarra is the only poster on this thread that is still active on the forum.

By all means, do take the advice posted here and talk to your doctor about it.
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 20 yrs ago and have been on various thyroid meds beginning with Synthroid and just recently changed to Levothyroxine 50 mcg (my insurance did this). I have taken 1 whole pill 1 day and 1/2 pill the next for all those years.  Only test is THS coming in at around 1.47 consistently.  Recently I started having occassionaly heart palps, being cold, tired, dizzy/lightheaded, low BP 90/60.  I encreased my Meds to 75 mcg on my own and the most of the symptoms went away completely.  Except the low BP and dizzy.  My dr. finally ordered more tests.  Here are results: THS .45; T3, Total 103; Free T4 1.5
I am 60 yrs old female. Wondering if the change to levo had an impact and if the low BP is the Hypo?
Thanks, Linda
I have been having these same issues lately, I am 45 and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 98. I had no idea that could be the cause until I saw my Dr today. Hmm.. think maybe these Dr. people should share this info?
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism last year 2012... I have been experiencing heart palpitations. It usually happens when I lay down to go to sleep, but it does happen at times no matter what I am doing. I had blood work done yesterday to check my thryoid levels, electrolytes & sugar levels. My doctor is going to get me to wear a heart monitor Tuesday just to make sure its nothing to worry about, I guess. I am scared when I get the palpitations & they bring on anxiety attacks which do not help the situation at all. It's very nice to read posts that others have posted that know exactly how I feel. I am 33 years old & I am always busy. I take 50 mcg of levothyroxine every morning when I wake up. I don't know anyone else that has this issue... so its nice that y'all can relate.
TSH can make you feel like crap and effect you if its to high, that is a not true what people think high stimulating hormone release will not effect you in any way, bull crap, it certainly will, to think it doesnt matter is very old school
I have had hypothyroidism for 15 yrs and just last summer my meds quit working My Dr. doubled my thyroid meds to 200 andI ended up in the emergency room with hyperthyroidism.  I was thinking I was about to die.
Three mths. later after the er dr dropped me to 75, I felt better. In Nov and Dec.I had a colonoscopy and the gastric scoping-  In Jan, I went to have my regular thyroid tests and I was so out of whack.  I usually run 5 but I was 45.  In March I was at 27.  I have to go this week for another test.  I am going nuts.  I have palpitation from the minute I wake to when I finally fall asleep, My hands tremble .  I have never had such a time getting regulated as I have now.  I wonder when the Dr dialated my esophagus if that traumatized my thyroid.  
This is a very old, long thread.  It's usually best to go to the top of the page, click the orange "Post a Question" button and start your own new thread.  That way, we can address your individual concerns.

Is your doctor testing FREE T3 and FREE T4 as well as TSH?  TSH is not adequate for managing hypo.  You have to have all three tests.

Your endoscopy may have inflamed your thyroid, but I think it's much more likely that your doctor is dosing you by TSH only and, therefore, imporperly.

When you start your thread, please post your most recent labs, and we can try to give you some ideas about what to pursue with your doctor.
IF (that's the big, fat IF) TSH levels accurately reflect FT3 and FT4 levels (i.e. TSH is high when the other two are low and vice versa), then you will feel hypo when TSH is high.  However, for many of us, TSH simply does not reflect our levels accurately.  

I have a TSH that hovers around 20.0 (due to a pituitary issue), but my FT3 and FT4 are in range, and I have absolutely no symptoms.  TSH is nothing but a messenger from the pituitary to the thyroid to request more thyroid hormone.  TSH, by itself, does not make you feel hypo.

What's "old school" is the overemphasis on testing TSH, which is a very indirect measurement of thyroid function.  I stand by my comment that high TSH causes NO symptoms.
I have Hashimoto's and on meds but I an definitely not getting enough Thyroid. Symptoms get worse until meds increased. This time however I have been getting heart palpitations or an irregular heart rhythm. One of my doctors think it's due to my meds but I am not hyperthyroid now for sure. This is a new symptom in addition to all the others
definitely see your endocrinologist.  tach could have to do with thyroid. also consider shortness of breath etc. to be a little bit of anxiety. when you feel that way try to stay calm and breathe steady. in through the nose out through the mouth and think about something calming clearing your mind of the stress of all the thyroid concerns. it is not easy but it does help. I had thyroid cancer so believe me i understand what a pain it is trying to get the numbers under control and concentrate on everything else..best thing to do is let your doc know about tach too.  good luck with all.
About 2 years ago, I was told that I had a TSH of 8. The doctor informed me that I was borderline and that I could take meds for it or not. I didn't know much about the thyroid at the time so I opted out. And also I prefer homeopathic remedies. Recently I had another test and my TSH was 6 (I can't recall the number following the decimal). After some of the comments and research I have done on the thyroid, why would my doctor
discount this medical issue?? Any suggestions... Also, anyone heard of thyroidinum...
This is a very old, long thread.  You'll get a lot more attention to your individual concerns if you start your own new thread by going to the top of the page and clicking the orange "Post a Question" button.

Please post recent labs with reference ranges, tell us about your symptoms and any other meds or health issues that might affect thyroid or be affected by it.

I have low T3 and TSH sometimes and palpitations.  I think thyroid glandulars may help like natural sources.  
Please post your thyroid related test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report so that members can better assess the adequacy of your testing and treatment.  Do you have any other symptoms?  Are you taking thyroid med?  If so, what type and what dosage?
I was on a beta blocker for about four years but it was lowering my blood pressure too much.I wanted to get off of it.The last cardiologist visit I was told they dont use beta blockers for hypothyroid anymore.I have never been to an endochronologist.I would like to go because recently I have been waking up feeling my heart beating.Its scary.They tell me there is nothing wrong with my heart.
Could there be something awry with your thyroid levels?  Please post your thyroid test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report so that members can better assess the adequacy of your testing and treatment.  Do you have any other symptoms?  If so, please tell us about them.  Have you been tested for Vitamin D, B12, ferritin and a full iron test panel?  If so, please post those with ranges also.
Hi All,
I had zap Palpitation 5 years ago by RFA operation and its totally cured. In recent time we have plan for kid but its not success to be pregnant. After several test I found I have hypothyroid but doctor refused to give medicine for hypothyroid because I have history of Palpitation problem. Now I am in chaos that should I take risk of palpitation or give up to be pregnant.
SiruShrestha
Please post your thyroid related test results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report.  Also, please tell us about any symptoms you have that may relate to being hypothyroid?
The walls of the blood vessels have its own so to say "muscular tone" which diminishes (like everything else) under Hashimoto. The blood vessels become so less cooperative with the heart. In order to compensate for it, the heart must do extra work. That's when palpitations appear. If prolongued for years, palpitations can lead to engrossment of the cardiac muscle. This means heart disease. Serious condition.
I have Hashimoto and have successfully eliminated palpitations WITHOUT any medication, only with exertion.
Next time you feel palpitations, try to accelerate willingly your heart rate (I used to go to my room and do some 10 sit-ups or squats) for instance jumping up and down until you feel your heart pounding fast. Look at it as if you were teaching your heart the difference between movement and rest, which seems it has forgotten.
Palpitations will go off for the rest of the day.
Work with your doc to get T4 to 75-100% of reference value and T3 to 50-75% of the reference value and live well.  Tsh should be non existent-near zero!  This should help to alleviate palps, hair loss, symptoms of fibromyalgia, ,high cholesterol problems, etc.  the list is long.  I only need thyroid meds.  

Before diagnosis, I needed statins, starterra, gerd meds, etc.  Because of all the different thyroid cocktails I have tried, I noticed that I may be better served to take a generic made by Sandoz at one increased level.  So, I am working to get my doc to increase from 112 of levoxyl (started back after they stopped mfg- it is not as effective and I can feel the heart palps in my neck as we speak). To 125 mcg of sandoz generic.  Got my results back today and compared to the generic results.  Now (on Levoxyl) my t3 is very low within range and t4 is very hi within range= recipe for palps.   Based on generic -Sandoz, labs, my t3/t4 is much closer...just need 125mcg.  I know it will. Ake me well based on lab-can't wait!
I am incredibly grateful to find this website! I thought I was crazy with the heart palpitations and my TSH came back at 5.37. I have had a nearly complete thyroidectomey a few years ago and have had a very hard time stabilizing the levels since then. DR has ordered FT4 and FT3 in past and always very stable. Hmmmm.... I am glad I am not alone and am happy to hear if we can get me stable (I prefer 2.4-ish TSH) I can get rid of these awful palps! Thank you!!
Doctors like to think that TSH accurately reflects levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4.  In reality TSH cannot be shown to correlate well with either Free T3 or Free T4, much less correlate well with symptoms, which should be the priority.  

When already taking thyroid meds, TSH is basically useless as a test.  Many hypo patients taking adequate levels of meds to relieve symptoms, find that TSH becomes suppressed below range.  That does not mean hyperthyroidism, unless hyperthyroid symptoms are present due to excessive levels of Free T3 and Free T4.  

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  You can get some good insight into clinical treatment from this letter written by a good thyroid doctor for patients that he sometimes consults with after initial tests and evaluation.  The letter is then sent to the participating doctor of the patient to help guide treatment.  In the letter, please note the statement, "the ultimate
criterion for dose adjustment must always be the clinical response of the patient."