Thyroid Disorders Community
Hypothyroidism

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hypothyroidism

Since Dec 2011 I have been having all the classic signs of Hypo.. I've been really tired, not sleeping, overweight, dream like feeling, anxiety ,ear problems (ENT said its TMJ)  dizziness, dry skin. no period, etc. The doctor was confident that I had hypothyroidism. Today my blood labs came back and the doctor said they were "normal." So I have an appt next month to follow up. I'm kind of at a loss as to what is causing all of these odd symptoms..if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated! Also, on the blood labs it says my "Absolute Monocytes are out of range."

Glucose : 85
Hemoglobin A1C: 5.6
TSH w/Reflex to FT4 : .81
WBC Count: 7.7
Hemoglobin: 14.6
Hematocrit: 42.4
MCV: 88.9
MCH: 30.7
MCHC:34.5
RDW: 13.7
Platelet Count: 193
Absolute Neutrophils: 5159
Absol. Lymphocytes: 1979
Absol. Monocytes: out of range: 193     Normal Range: 200-950
Absol. Eosinophils: 331
Neutrophils: 67.0
Lymphocytes: 25.7
Monocytes: 2.5
Eosinophils: 4.3
Basophils: 0.5
Insulin: 12
TSH can be within normal range with thyroid disease.  Other tests to help with a diagnosis include free T3, free T4, reverse T3 and thyroid antibodies TPOAb and TgAb.

"An isolated decrease in the total monocyte count is an unusual finding.  Occasionally monocytes become depleted in overwhelming bacterial infections, but this is more an incidental finding than a defining clinical indicator. Hairy cell leukaemia, a rare indolent lymphoproliferative disorder, may occasionally be associated with monocytopenia, although other abnormalities (especially neutropenia and lymphocytosis) would generally be present. Low monocytes is not clinically significant if other cell counts are normal." Bpac NZ - Complete Blood Count in Primary Care

I do not know what "TSH w/Reflex to FT4 : .81 " means exactly.  And you don't list any reference ranges which are usually shown in parentheses etc.

I know what TSH is and I know what FT4 is.

It that number is TSH as stated above TSH is virtually useless unless it is severely out of whack.

If it is FT4, and a common reference range is used of (0.75 - 1.55 or so)  It would indicate that you are VERY close to the low end of the range.

Most people do not feel well until their FT4 is in the MIDDLE of the range or slightly above AND their FT3 levels are in the UPPER 1/3 of the range.

It appears you were not tested for Free T3 (FT3) at all and I'm still unsure if the 0.81 is a TSH result or an FT4 result.

The symptoms you have are consistent with Hypo (low) Thyroid.

You really want to be tested as Redstar suggested of:  FT4, FT3, TPOab and TGab.

The TPO and TG tests are for Hashimoto's disease.  Which are antibody's.  Hashi's is an autoimmune disorder where your body thinks that your thyroid gland is a foreign invader and your immune system goes about attacking and killing it.  This is the most common cause for Hypo in the modern  world.  So don't be alarmed.  Peple with Hashi's will have one, or the other or in some cases both antibody's elevated.  They are kind of a pass/fail sort of thing.
I believe they are my TSH levels..but looking over the results they were collected 12/19/2011 so those are my old labs from my previous PCP..I have a new doctor now and I'm still not quite sure why hes going by the old labs and not the ones he had drawn last week..Should I call and ask about the new labs? Also my Grandmother is a Phlebotomist and she thinks my TSH levels are borderline hypo. Thanks for the advice!
sorry the reference range was .40-4.50
TSH of 0.81 would NOT generally be regarded as Hypo.  Although TSH alone is a poor indicator of much of anything.

FT4 level of 0.81 may be low in the range. But without your actual range that vary lab to lab it is hard to determine.  All I can say is the lab I go to uses an FT4 range of (0.75 to 1.54).

My wife's previous Dr who was a TSH only nut.  Wanted to keep my wife's TSH around 1.0  Don't know that that means other than most Dr's who rely upon TSH alone would probably feel perfectly fine with a TSH of 0.81.

However that is NOT what really matters.  What matters is how do you feel and what are your symptoms.  And they are consistent with Hypo.

You need further testing of FT4 and FT3.  You may have to be VERY demanding and insist on it. Even to the point of paying for it out of pocket.