Thyroid Disorders Community
I ran out of Levothyroxine, How long can I go without?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I had radioactive iodine done which resulted in no thyroid.  I've run out of my medication and dr wont refill w/o an appointment and I can't afford to take off work from my new job.  It's been 4 or 5 days since my last dose, (forgive me, I'm a bit foggy now).  How long can I safely go without taking my medication?  I already feel miserable.  HELP!!!
you can't go very long without your thyroid medication.  You will have to make arrangements to take some time off from work, to see your doctor.

Your present fogginess indicates that you are feeling some effects of not having the hormone.  Within a couple more weeks you will begin having even more symptoms, which will REALLY jeopardize your job, because you won't be able to perform it.  

Better to come clean and ask for time off to visit the doctor and get your med again, or you could lose that new job you just got.
exactly.   And the longer you go without meds, you can probably double or triple the time its going to take to get back.
About five weeks ago I began taking Levothyroxine.  My doctor told me that I have hypothyroidism.

After going over my test result numbers, I am wondering if I have Hoshimotos Disease.  

Listed are the results:

T4 Free:      0.67 ng/dl.                  ( Normal range:  0.8-2.0)
           TSH:            21.7 miU/ ml
           Anti-TPO:    2904 IU/ML.              (Normal range:  00-35)

The TPO results are so high that I am wondering if my hypothyroidism is caused by Hoshimotos Disease.  Any opinions out there?  I would appreciate hearing what others think.

Thank you.

puppiesrcute
Yes, the TPO ab indicates Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  With Hashi's the autoimmune system erroneously identifies the thyroid gland as foreign to the body and produces antibodies to attack and eventually destroy the gland.  Along the path to destruction of the gland, the TSH rises as the output of thyroid hormone is diminished, and thyroid medication is necessary to maintain adequate serum thyroid hormone levels.

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T4 and Free T3 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.  Many members say that symptom relief required Free T4 around the middle of its range, and Free T3 in the upper third of its range, or as necessary to relieve symptoms.  You should make sure they test for Free T4 and Free T3 every time you go in for tests.  

Since your doctor did not test for Free T3 that makes me wonder if he will be willing to treat clinically, as described.  If not, then you will eventually need to find a good thyroid doctor that will do so.  

One thing further to be aware of is that hypo patients are frequently too low in the ranges for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin.  Low levels of either will cause symptoms.  Low D or ferritin can also adversely affect metabolism of thyroid hormone.  D needs to be about 55-60, B12 in the upper part of its range, and ferritin about 70 minimum.  If not tested for those you should request them, and supplement as needed.