Thyroid Disorders Community
IODINE SCANS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

IODINE SCANS

I will be having an iodine scan the 2nd week of Nov and was told no T4 for 28 days ( only taking a T3 at this time till after the scan ). I was wondering if anyone out there has info on tis procedure and how it works. Dr. just told me no Iodine and could find non iodized salt at the store and aent me on my way. As I read up on this test it says 1-2 weeks prior to test is when you start the no Iodine diet. I am confused. I asked my Dr.s ast. yesterday and she did not seem to know too much. Gave a list of low iodine diet for people that get radiation but that was all she could offer me and Dr. was busy and could not talk to him. She did tell me it depends on which hospital I have the procedure done. One calls for 2 weeks off meds and one was a month off meds. I said why the difference and she did not know that either. So basically I need to know what I can and can not eat, as it has been a week already. Due to the symptoms of the Hashis, I do not eat all that much but have not been watching my iodine either . I have been sick for 9 weeks and not even able to shop, so I eat what I have available when I do get the urge to eat. Any info or help with this would be greatly appreciated!
I think the best advice is to call or visit the hospital you will be using and ask how long you need to be on LID (low iodine diet).
I know that some facilities use I123. This is only for images.
We also have a Mobile Imaging for rural areas.  The tech is the little girl next door.  She told me they use I131, low dose, for imaging because it has a longer half-life.  So they don't need to re-order as often.
I don't think you can be on LID too long.  You want your thyroid to be starving for iodine so it will grab as much as possible when you have the scan.  You want this to work right the first time so that you don't have to do it over with no T4 for ANOTHER month.
The scan itself is simple.  You do a bunch of paperwork at check-in.  Then to radiology.  They place a metal rod next to your neck to check your normal level, then your thigh.  You swallow a pill.
Depending on the hospital and the Drs. orders, they may do the scan in 1 hour, 6 hours, or 24 hours, or all three.  For the scan, you simply lay down on a skinny table and hold still for 8 minutes, 3 times.  All done.  
You can ask the tech what your uptake % is.  You can also ask to see the scans.  They won't tell you what they mean, but at least you have some idea while you wait for the Dr. to call with the results.
Thank You.I am confused what the I123 is though, could you explain that to me? Also do you know of any decent foods I can eat in the mean time? I have read a list of low iodine diets but does not give much info. I am starving now...lol as qwell as being miserable from the Hashis I have...I have lost 17 lbs due to having more graves symptoms and did not eat for quite some time, now I feel like eating and can't due to not having anything in my home iodine free.