Thyroid Disorders Community
Is Dizziness related?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Is Dizziness related?

Just really really confused about what i feel. I had mentioned earlier my symptoms in a post last week, i am going back again for bloodwork this week, but, have recently been feeling very dizzy (off and on) I have always had low blood pressure, even throughout my pregnancy. Anyways, any input would be helpful, i dont get to see a Dr. till the 18th but feel as though i am falling apart and have a 9mth old to take care off. Thanks!
The home remedy for hypotention is sodium suppliment [in the form of table salt].
I do have lower then normal blood pressure due to the  dilation of brain blood vessels, and tea-spoon of salt  plus glass of water works for me
I get dizzy when I am hypo. My TSH recently went up to 5.1 from 1.4 and the first symptom that came back was dizziness.
My TSH was 38.31 2 weeks ago, i thought with that  number i would be feeling a lot worse no?
It is strange. Each of us reacts differently to a certain TSH.
Afriend of mine had a TSH of 87 and all she had was dry hair and fatigue.

It sounds like you are feeling bad enough, though with the dizziness.

What dose are you on? How long have you been hypo?

I would be very curious to know if the dizziness improves as the TSH falls to a good level.

Well, i am on thyroxine , but i only started to get more and more dizzy spells about 3-4 days ago and had been on the meds for about 2 weeks. Also, hair falling out, and a little fatigue here and there. My dizzy spells are not as though the whole room is turning, but almost constant feeling of a jello state if that makes any sense. I used to have a lot of aches and joint pain prior to the meds, but that seems to have improved somewhat....But the dizziness is driving me nuts! ;(  I only recently found out i am hypo, my T4 was normal though...is that normal?
I can relate to the "not room spinning" dizzy feeling. Mine is like a dysequalibrium that makes me feel as though I am being pulled to the left. I can be sitting in a chair and still feel this way!

It is amazing that your t4 (was that a free t4?- it should be) is still normal with a TSH that high. Usually the free t4 will be low when the TSH gets over 10. Maybe that is why you don't feel worse.

Are you on a brand name (best for consistant dose) and what dose? You will likely need more adjustments.

The dizziness is crazy for me too. I haven't been able to shop or work much since it came back a few months aho. I have had this off and on for 14 years until I was finally diagnosed with Hashi's. I just had my blood drawn so I am very curious what my TSH level is.
The dose of thyroxine for you cannot be high, because the T4 is normal [you are 'subclinically' hypo]
I can totally relate! My son is 9 months as well and I have been suffering from thyroid problems since I had him. They didn't figure out that it was my thyroid though until April and my TSH was 202! I couldn't get out of bed and was starting to think that I was going to die....seriously.  I also have Hashimoto's. My endo refuses to check anything but my TSH so I just made an appt with a new endo that specializes in thyroids.

I too have the dizziness and it hasn't gone away. Because your TSH is so high, it is going to take a while to feel better. It may also take a while to get your dosage correct and make sure you are on the right brand of medication.

I don't have any solutions for you but I hope you feel better soon. I know how hard it is to feel terrible and chase after a little one. Give it time...but I can tell you...if you don't feel right, keep at your Dr and if you still don't feel better...find a new one!
WOW!!!!202???? I would imagine that if the #'s are that high that the Dr's would do more research to find out EXACTLY what is going on! That is soooooooo high! Ay ay ay! i feel for you too....it's not easy with a little one you are right! Especially now that they are starting to get more and more and MORE active ;)
Hi there, thanks for the response, i am on L-Thyroxine 100MCG once daily.
Just for perspective, my TSH never went over 5.96 and I am currently on 88 mcg, most likely going to 100 mcg next week.

So to say that the dose can't be too high due to Subclinical hypoT is not necessarily true. We are all different and our bodies each require a unique amount of medication to return to normal.

Make sure you get a free t4 next time. The T4 can be falsly elevated sometimes. The free t4 is the newer more accurate test.
i had a baby in june 08 and my tsh level has been low and that mean high i have been dizzness  for nine month every day and i have went to every doctor and they not able to find out whaqt wrong with me
Google BPV (Benign Positional Vertigo) and see if this sounds like what you are experiencing.
I have been diagnosed with hypothyroid in the past two months and have experienced dizzy spells also. I have been on synthroid almost two weeks and still experience them every now and then except they aren't quite as bad.
It takes four to five weeks for Synthroid to reach a stable level in your system.  During that time you can expect symptoms to start improving, but to persist.  Also, you might find after your next labs (four to five weeks after starting Synthroid) that you need an adjustment in dosage.  If that's the case, some symptoms might persist until you get closer to the correct dose.  Unfortunately, finding the optimal dose and reaching euthyroid (neither hypo nor hyper) can be an exercise in patience.  Best of luck and keep in mind that you will be feeling better all the time!  
I have been diagnosed with Hashi's since April and have the same problem (and then some) with all of you with the dizzy but not dizzy.  The best way I can describe it is that I feel like I am drunk!  I hate the feeling but I have a long ways to get stabalized so I hope this too will stop.  It ranks on the very high end of my list of worst symptoms! My TSH is elevated but only at 4.33 (which is obviously too high for me) but my Free T4 is WAY to low.
Have you ever googled BPV (benign positional vertigo) to see if that sounds like what you have?  Dizzy like you've had about 10 too many!?  Spins?  Feel better if you keep your head absolutely still?
I have had the room spins about 3 times and several docs have said it is BPPV but not the daily woozy feeling.  Yes it feels like I've had 10 too many, lol and it does not help if I keep my head still or lay down.  I have had all the inner ear tests done by my ENT and everything is negative.  My endo said it could be my thyroid (but not the room spinning one) but another said it's allergies and another said it's from my TMJ that I just found out I have.  I tell you no 2 docs agree!!!!
Have you tried the BPV maneuver that stops the spins?  Do you know it?  If not, I'll describe.
I had a problem with dizziness when I was first diagnosed, too.  It felt sort of like the earth was falling out from underneath of me (?).  I would get nauseous too, sort of like motion sickness even though there was no motion other than walking involved.  It improved once I'd been on levothyroxine for a while.  

Good luck!
No I don't know the exercises.  I was offered Vestibular rehab but I heard it makes you really sick so NO THANK YOU!
The theory is this:  the part of your inner ear that controls balance has a bunch of little crystals in it.  Normally, these crystals respond to gravity, and our brain interprets where they settle as “down”.  With BPV, these crystals get themselves all in a tempest, like when you shake up one of those snow globes.  Brain now has no idea where “down” is, so you get dizzy.

This exercise is totally noninvasive…it may not help you, but it’s probably worth the try.

Lie down on a flat surface (e.g. bed without pillow).  Drop your head toward your left shoulder.  Stay in that position until any dizziness disappears.  Now, bring your head back up to center.  Once again, stay there until the dizziness passes.  Repeat this to the right side.

For this next part, you might want to get someone to “spot” for you if you are feeling very dizzy.  Sit up, and immediately drop your chin to your chest.  You guessed it, stay there until the dizziness goes away, then slowly lift your head.

One of the keys to this exercise is to move slowly throughout…you’re trying to calm those crystals down.

Especially at first, you may have to do this several times a day, but it gets to be less and less.  I had one bout of BPV that sent me to the ER.  Since then, I do this whenever I get the slightest twinge of dizziness, and it’s always taken care of it in one exercise (knocking wood).
I am glad I am not crazy.  My thyroid got thrown off when I had a steroid shot for alergies (allergies), it supressed my TSH instantly, not knowing this until after the fact I continued on my synthroid, causing shortness of breath severely.  My Endo had me stop my synthroid, by the time I had labs again it showed my TSH was normal.  She told me to start my medication back, but I was afraid of it being to much that I started cutting it in half for the first 11 days.  My TSH rose fast, and now I am having the affects of HYPO, bad, tired, low blood pressure, very dizzy at times, like being tipsy after having a drink, cry on and off through the day, no energy.  I have been on my full dose 11 days now, and don't think it's working yet or might not be enough, but I am a mother of 6 kids, thank God for helpful teenage son's to help me with the babies.  WHEN WHEN IS THE SYNTHROID GOING TO WORK????  I've never been this run down, and for a month!
You don't say how long you were off your Synthroid.  It takes about a week to purge it from your system, at which point you are going to start going hypo.  Now you've been back on your full dose for 11 days.  After your meds "vacation", it's probably going to take five to six weeks for the Synthroid to stabilize in your system again.  After four or five weeks, you should have labwork again, which will help you figure out if your current dose is adequate or if you need an increase.  There's nothing you can do but wait until your surrent dose stabilizes.
I was off my synthroid  1 week.  But when I had labs that showed my TSH being normal it was 5 days later.  So yes the synthroid was totally out of my system, and had labs at my Primary after being back on my synthroid 1 week cutting it in half showed my TSH was then HIGH.  I don't rember going through this when I first got on my synthroid back in October I guess she caught it before symptoms started.
You must have started your Synthroid back in October before you had any serious symptoms.  Or back then, you were used to not feeling well from being slightly hypo for a while, and you started feeling progressively better after the Synthroid.  Now, you're "crashing" from the lack of thyroid support.
Yes, I feel like I'm crashing.  I was being treated for 3 months, I was HYPER, but had the antibodies for Hashi's, then when I went for routine labs in October, she called and said she was starting me on Synthroid that my thyroid had slowed down.  So, I never got to experience hypo symptoms ever, and now I am.  I mean I feel so down and physically tired, I feel the worst ever in my life, all over bad.
It will take a bit of time, but you'll start feeling a little better every day.  I'm hypo, but have been overmedicated and therefore hyper briefly...I'll take hypo and day!!!
Thanks for listening.  It's nice to know someone is out there.
im just curious..why would you prefer to be hypo than hyper..,i was just diagnosed to be hyper..so im new to this..
When you're hypo, it's not pleasant, either.  However, I find hyper (overmediacted in my case because I have Hashi's) much more uncomfortable.  When hyper, I feel like I'm about to buzz off the planet, have tachycardia, can't sleep.  As I said, hypo isn't pleasant, but at least you can enjoy a nice, long nap and the anxiety level is much less.  Neither is ideal, obviously, but given the choice, I'll go for hypo.
thank you for answering that..i appreciate it..
Hi ladies, here is short version of my long years with thyroid, I was diagnosed back in 1998 just after giving birth to my twin boys. I had a partial thyroidectomy done as the goider was they found was so enlargered. Recently (pass 4 months) I have been feeling worse than ever, tired, depressed, dizzy, heat palpatations , pain in the right side of my neck and throat, send me to a endocrinologist, a specialist for the thyroid, I thouhgt maybe I would get some relief or someone that cared or understood my urgency for some answers. NOPE!  Oh I have hyperthyroid. my issue right now is the Dr I am dealing with is showing little or no concern However I think I know my body better than she does and I am not getting the care or medical advice that is needed. I am at a lost and am so very frustrated. I feel it is taking over my life. I am usually a very happy energetic woman. Not anymore. My TSH levels came back .01. Had an ultrasound done waiting on test results and took me off the levothyroxine a few weeks ago. I just had a very bad dizzy spell. So I grabbed my computer and that is how I found this site. Any words of hope or encouragment are very much appreciated. Di Marshall
I'd say that the most important thing for you to do is to find a good thyroid doctor, difficult as that seems to be.  For over 4 years, I have been collecting a list of doctors recommended by other members, and also tracking down other prospects.  My list is a bit lacking for your area, and I know how bad traffic can be, but would Pasadena be close enough to interest you?