Thyroid Disorders Community
Lemon Water and Synthroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Lemon Water and Synthroid

I suffer alot from Acid/Reflux and I was told by a couple people and after doing some research I think I am going to try fresh lemon juice in luke warm water. It is supposed to be best to take in the morning but I have to take Synthroid in the morning. Do you think that one fresh squeezed lemon would interfere?

The pharmacists said it should fine, maybe very little but not significant amount.
Just wanted to give you some info from my own personal experience.  Due to a medical condition I have to take 20 mg of Prilosec twice daily.  About a year ago, while going through some thyroid med changes due to Armour not being available, I had switched to Synthroid and Cytomel.    

During the transition and tweaking of my meds, I got back into being hypo again.  Testing showed that my Free T3 had gone down to 2.8 (range of 2.3 - 4.2 0.  I started having the worst acid reflux imaginable.  About that time Armour became available again, so in desperation I went back on Armour at my old dosage level that had previously produced a Free T3 of 3.8,  and in two days my acid reflux was gone.  Not only that but I even experimented by not taking my Prilosec for a short while and still had no acid reflux problems.  

My conclusion from this was that my acid reflux was all due to being hypo.  This is one of the common symptoms of being hypo.  So, what do your thyroid test results and their reference ranges look like?  Are you still hypo?  Do you have other typical hypo symptoms, like shown in this link?

http://endocrine-system.emedtv.com/hypothyroidism/hypothyroidism-symptoms-and-signs.html
Hey Gimel, since I switched to Synthroid from generic I feel much much better and if it makes any sense at peace. This is all fairly new for me so am learning to listen what my body is saying. I am now even able to work out almost full strength.
Essentially yeah I had alot of symptoms that were unexplainable, mostly muscle weakness, fatigue etc. The way I describe it is it's like driving at night with poor vision.

The acid reflux is really wierd and gotten much worse. I was told I had Hpylori bacteria etc so I did that crazy course of antibiotics. Cleared my skin up but not so sure about the acid reflux. I did nexium and it's a wonder drug I tell you but I don't want to be on that long term.

I have been researching Acid reflux and like everything else there are always opposing views. One is that Acid reflux is caused by TOO LITTLE acid, then the food ferments and then it gets pushed up etc. And yeah I think there might be a corrolation between hyp.

Interesting that yes Lemons ARE acidic, however when the body breaks down the lemon the effect is a alkalizing effect on the body. I am somewhat skeptical but worth a try.

I always laugh when you hear these natural remedies. The reasoning goes like this "
for ex: "Bananas are high in potassium. Potassium is good for x and y and z and a also has indications for b. Eating bananas will aid in curing all this."
Now if you look at that actual amount of potassium in bananas it's like you would have to eat a thousand bananas a day.

So with Lemons they say it's like a wonder effect. Like it acutally has Magnesium - Calcium and Potassium. So you can imagine what Homeopathic practitioners do with that!!!!
I still have these questions.

So, what do your thyroid test results and their reference ranges look like?  Are you still hypo?  Do you have other typical hypo symptoms, like shown in this link?

I agree with gimel that acid reflux is often associated with being hypo.  In desperation, I've even chugged dill pickle juice - sometimes it helped, sometimes not, but getting out of that hypo state is most important.

If you'll post your most recent thyroid test results, along with reference ranges, we could help assess your situation.
Hey Barb, thanks! I switched to taking 37.5mg of synthroid and am about a month into it, so am waiting to hit six weeks to test. :)

I FEEl better though.
I had not idea that acid reflux was a hypo symptom! I have had it in the past and neither the allergist or my treating physician told me it was from hypo. The allergist gave me a script for acid reflux meds which I didn't fill. I'm having the same problem again for the last week or so and thought I was eating too much fatty foods or something.

Is it a symptom of hyper too or just hypo?
No experience with the "dark side", hyper.  LOL  

Here is another link on acid reflux and hypothyroidism.  I'm sure there are others as well.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Thyroid-Disorders/Dr-Mark-Lupo/show/931808
cool.

Anyone with any info on the LEMON and taking it in the AM?
Can you wait an hour after thyroid meds to have the hot lemon? That's what we have to do with food right? But, I'm just guessing.
LOL

I ask about hyper because I'm sometimes worried about going into hyper since I also have some of those symptoms from time to time. For example, most of the time I'm feeling depressed, but sometimes I feel anxious and most of the time I'm constipated, but sometimes I have diariha. Cytomel has just been added to Tirosint (was Levoxyl) so don't know why I'm having the heartburn since my symptoms should be improving. I also fall asleep immediately, but can't stay asleep - wake up several times every night. Last night the neighbor was in high heels all night long! I'm so tense and moody today.

Thanks for the link!
D-Limonine (orange pel extract) in tablet form manufactured by several suppliment companies is great for reflux, its natural and does no harm your pancease like PPI's do.

That said, I will get reflux when FT3 is lower than 1/2 range. I had it worst on T4 only meds. I almost downed in relux while sleep it seemed. All gone now on combo t3/t4 thyroid suppliment.
seems like it is related huh... aaaaargh..
the antibiotics can actually make things worse. they kill the bad bacteria but also the good ones needed fro digestion. might want to take some probiotics to rebuild up your good bacteria for digestion. Kevin
I fall asleep easy too ! But after 3 hours ( middle of the night) wide awake ! So frustrating ! I went to the doc in the box out of sheer desperation.. He gave me trazadone.. It works, and keeps me asleep.. I am on synthroid, my labs are good.. But I feel crappy. Tired, sluggish, brain fog, dry hair and skin.. And look like death warmed over. I don't know what the answer is? Oh, my new symptom is a sore throat on and off. I will try anything, even made a appointment to see a shrink ..
hi gypsygirl2go,

i'm sorry about the bad sleep. mine improved for a while and i was sleeping like a baby for a few weeks, maybe even months, but is now bad again. my tsh is below range, but both my FT4 and FT3 are within range, but on the low side. not sure what to do or if there's anything i can do (besides taking sleep medications which i (personally) don't want to do). sometimes my glands get swollen too. mostly on one side and i ALSO think it's thyroid related, but i don't know? maybe gargle with salt water just in case it helps? i think dry hair and skin is a hypo symptom, but so many symptoms over lap. i can't believe after all these years living with hypo, i'm still clueless and vacillate from feeling hopeful to helpless.
TSH is frequently suppressed when taking thyroid meds.  That doesn't mean that you are hyper, unless you do have hyper symptoms, due to excess levels of Free T3 and Free T4, which you don't.  

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all  important , not just test results, and especially not TSH results.  

You can get some good insight into clinical treatment from this letter written by a good thyroid doctor for patients that he sometime consults with from a distance after an initial evaluation and tests.  The letter is then sent to the PCP of the patient to hep guide treatment.  In the letter, please not this statement, "the ultimate criterion for dose adjustment must always be the clinical response of the patient."

http://hormonerestoration.com/files/ThyroidPMD.pdf

Also, if you havewn't been tested for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin, you should.  They also need to be well up into the range for best effect.
It sounds like you're both still hypo.  Just having FT3 and FT4 "in range" is not good enough.  The levels have to be high enough to alleviate symptoms. You both have too many hypo symptoms for me to believe your levels are anywhere near adequate.  

If you'll post your recent thyroid levels, we would be able to better assess your situations.  Be sure to include reference ranges, which vary lab to lab and have to come from your own report.
Hi Barb/Gimel,

I think you might be right - I might be hypo. About six months ago my doctor reduced my Tirosint from 100 to 88 and left my Cytomel 10 the same (Cytomel 5 at 7am with Tirosint and Cytomel 5 at 3:30 pm)

Had more labs than these including CBC, but these a thyroid and except B12 which was fine, 'problems.' Iron not done

TSH3    29-Sep-2012 08:26 EDT    TSH 3RD GENERATION    L    0.07    uIU/mL    0.40-4.00
FT4    29-Sep-2012 08:26 EDT    FREE T4        0.8    ng/dL    0.6-1.6
FT3    29-Sep-2012 08:26 EDT    FREE T3        2.9 pg/mL    2.4-4.2

COPP    29-Sep-2012 08:26 EDT    COPPER    L    61 ug/dL    80-155
ZINC2    29-Sep-2012 08:26 EDT    ZINC    L    59 ug/dL    60-120
VTD    29-Sep-2012 08:26 EDT    VITAMIN D, 25-HYDROXY    L    29 Deficiency: Less than 20 ng/mL
Insufficiency: 20-29 ng/mL
Optimum Level: 30-80 ng/mL
VITAMIN B12        716       180-914 pg/mL

LDL (CALCULATED)    H    177
According to NCEP (ATP-III) Guidelines:
Less than 100 mg/dL   Optimal
100 to 129 mg/dL   Near Optimal/Above Optimal
130 to 159 mg/dL   Borderline High
160 to 189 mg/dL   High

29-Sep-2012 08:26 EDT    HDL CHOLESTEROL    H    78
According to NCEP (ATP-III) Guidelines:
Less than 40 mg/dL   Low HDL Cholesterol
A major risk factor for heart disease
Greater than or equal to 60 mg/dL   High HDL cholesterol
Considered protective against heart disease    mg/dL    See Below        Final    HDLT    41081080    410810802273    I9290180
FLP    29-Sep-2012 08:26 EDT    TRIGLYCERIDES        83
According to NCEP (ATP-III) Guidelines:
Less than 150 mg/dL   Normal
150 to 199 mg/dL   Borderline-high
200 to 499 mg/dL   High

FASTG    29-Sep-2012 08:26 EDT    GLUCOSE    H    100    mg/dL    70-99
Wow - no wonder you feel like crapola!!  Both your FT's are nearly on the floor of their ranges, and with the low copper, zinc, and vitamin D, I'm surprised you have the energy to type on here.

Has your doctor told you to begin supplementing for these deficiencies? Low vitamin D causes hypo-like symptoms, while both copper and zinc are necessary for the metabolism of thyroid hormone.  Elevated fasting glucose, indicates insulin resistance/prediabetes.  That high cholesterol is a dead giveaway for hypo.

Next time you get blood work done, you should ask for a selenium test, too.  Selenium is has been shown to help with the conversion of FT4 to FT3; but of course, you need to get your FT4 levels up, so you have enough to convert.

Looks like your doctor reacted, strictly, to TSH.  You really need to try to get your medication increased, again.  I'm guessing that even 6 months ago, when he decreased, he should actually have increased.
i'm going to start a new thread so i don't bring this one off course. copied your comment along.