THYROID DISORDERS
COMMUNITY
Lemon Water and Synthroid
by dreeftwppd, Oct 20, 2011
I suffer alot from Acid/Reflux and I was told by a couple people and after doing some research I think I am going to try fresh lemon juice in luke warm water. It is supposed to be best to take in the morning but I have to take Synthroid in the morning. Do you think that one fresh squeezed lemon would interfere?

The pharmacists said it should fine, maybe very little but not significant amount.
Member Comments (20)
by gimel, Oct 20, 2011
Just wanted to give you some info from my own personal experience.  Due to a medical condition I have to take 20 mg of Prilosec twice daily.  About a year ago, while going through some thyroid med changes due to Armour not being available, I had switched to Synthroid and Cytomel.    

During the transition and tweaking of my meds, I got back into being hypo again.  Testing showed that my Free T3 had gone down to 2.8 (range of 2.3 - 4.2 0.  I started having the worst acid reflux imaginable.  About that time Armour became available again, so in desperation I went back on Armour at my old dosage level that had previously produced a Free T3 of 3.8,  and in two days my acid reflux was gone.  Not only that but I even experimented by not taking my Prilosec for a short while and still had no acid reflux problems.  

My conclusion from this was that my acid reflux was all due to being hypo.  This is one of the common symptoms of being hypo.  So, what do your thyroid test results and their reference ranges look like?  Are you still hypo?  Do you have other typical hypo symptoms, like shown in this link?

http://endocrine-system.emedtv.com/hypothyroidism/hypothyroidism-symptoms-and-signs.html
by dreeftwppd, Oct 20, 2011
Hey Gimel, since I switched to Synthroid from generic I feel much much better and if it makes any sense at peace. This is all fairly new for me so am learning to listen what my body is saying. I am now even able to work out almost full strength.
Essentially yeah I had alot of symptoms that were unexplainable, mostly muscle weakness, fatigue etc. The way I describe it is it's like driving at night with poor vision.

The acid reflux is really wierd and gotten much worse. I was told I had Hpylori bacteria etc so I did that crazy course of antibiotics. Cleared my skin up but not so sure about the acid reflux. I did nexium and it's a wonder drug I tell you but I don't want to be on that long term.

I have been researching Acid reflux and like everything else there are always opposing views. One is that Acid reflux is caused by TOO LITTLE acid, then the food ferments and then it gets pushed up etc. And yeah I think there might be a corrolation between hyp.

Interesting that yes Lemons ARE acidic, however when the body breaks down the lemon the effect is a alkalizing effect on the body. I am somewhat skeptical but worth a try.

I always laugh when you hear these natural remedies. The reasoning goes like this "
for ex: "Bananas are high in potassium. Potassium is good for x and y and z and a also has indications for b. Eating bananas will aid in curing all this."
Now if you look at that actual amount of potassium in bananas it's like you would have to eat a thousand bananas a day.

So with Lemons they say it's like a wonder effect. Like it acutally has Magnesium - Calcium and Potassium. So you can imagine what Homeopathic practitioners do with that!!!!
by gimel, Oct 20, 2011
I still have these questions.

So, what do your thyroid test results and their reference ranges look like?  Are you still hypo?  Do you have other typical hypo symptoms, like shown in this link?

by Barb135Blank, Oct 20, 2011
I agree with gimel that acid reflux is often associated with being hypo.  In desperation, I've even chugged dill pickle juice - sometimes it helped, sometimes not, but getting out of that hypo state is most important.

If you'll post your most recent thyroid test results, along with reference ranges, we could help assess your situation.
by dreeftwppd, Oct 20, 2011
Hey Barb, thanks! I switched to taking 37.5mg of synthroid and am about a month into it, so am waiting to hit six weeks to test. :)

I FEEl better though.
by sissaphus, Oct 20, 2011
I had not idea that acid reflux was a hypo symptom! I have had it in the past and neither the allergist or my treating physician told me it was from hypo. The allergist gave me a script for acid reflux meds which I didn't fill. I'm having the same problem again for the last week or so and thought I was eating too much fatty foods or something.

Is it a symptom of hyper too or just hypo?
by gimel, Oct 20, 2011
No experience with the "dark side", hyper.  LOL  

Here is another link on acid reflux and hypothyroidism.  I'm sure there are others as well.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Thyroid-Disorders/Dr-Mark-Lupo/show/931808
by dreeftwppd, Oct 20, 2011
cool.

Anyone with any info on the LEMON and taking it in the AM?
by sissaphus, Oct 20, 2011
Can you wait an hour after thyroid meds to have the hot lemon? That's what we have to do with food right? But, I'm just guessing.