Levothyroxine 50 MCG - SIDE EFFECTS
Hi everyone -  I have just been recently prescribed levothyroxine 50 MCG.  I have been taking it for only two days now.  I feel druged, kinda drunk.... it's weird - 30 mins into taking the medicine, I feel really sleepy.  Is this normal?? Anyone have the same side effect or can tell me what to expect being on this pill??
I just started .075 mg synthroid last weekend, felt fine till mid week, then I started eating up a storm, started feeling nervous, anxious and sleepy tired, I take naps in the afternoon, afterwards I'm fine again.  So I have been feeling more sleepy then usual.  

The drugged up feeling, is probably from sleepiness, cause when I get sleepy, I get really spaced out, till after I take a nap.  

My mom is taking this same med and dosage. About 2 hours after taking it, she is extremely dizzy, and experiences foggy/blurry vision. We thought it was the Blood Pressure meds she also takes. Her doctors, including, ENT, opthalmologist, internist, general practitioner, and cardiologist have put her through CAT scan, MRI, ear crystal tests and balancing, plus numerous other tests, all with negative results. We are now thinking perhaps this dizziness( which makes her totally non-functional) is being caused by the thryoid med. We are at a loss as to what to do, Currently are considering asking to have her switched to the natural one, called Armour. Would like any responses to this same issue. Thank you.
In order for members to better assess the adequacy of your mom's testing and treatment, please post her thyroid related test results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report.  
After my RAI I was put on first thyroxin, then levoxyl, had horrible side effects, I had leg twitching, my left leg would be cold, and the right warm, my feet would become really hot, even though my room was cold, I had weird feeling when I"d go into a room like I was looking at it through a glass mirror like it wasn't real, very strange feeling. I got off it and changed to Armour which has been a life safer, but at first when I got on it, I would take it all in the morning which at that time was making me feel hyper, and then at around 5pm I would be so tired, so i was advised to devide it during the day, and now I feel great.
Thank you for the reply. My mom is staying here with me out of state from her home for a little while and I don't have the numbers you are asking for. I do
know that doctors always tell her that things are within range. Also know different labs have different ranges. I will try and get her info and post again. I know someone who takes Armour and it has been wonderful for her, after years of synthroid not controlling thyroid appropriately for her.
Thank you for your reply. Your anlogy of the mirror is very clear to me, after hearing Mom talk about how things look to her. I am getting more inclined to seek the Armour route. any other info or comments you may have are more than welcome
One of the things that can happen when taking T4 meds is that the body does not adequately convert the T4 to T3.  Since Free T3 largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions, it is very important to know its level. Scientific studies have shown that Free T3 correlated best with hypo symptoms, while Free T4 and TSH did not correlate at all.  

Many members say that symptom relief required Free T3 in the upper third of its range, and Free T4 around the middle of its range.  If you mom is not converting adequately, and her Free T3 is in the lower half of the range, then switching to Armour, or NatureThroid, or adding some T3 med,  as necessary to relieve symptoms would be the best thing for her.  

Since hypo patients are also frequently too low in the ranges for Vitamin D, B12, and ferritin, she should also be tested for those.  When additional test results are available, please post them, along with reference ranges, and members will be glad to help interpret and advise further.
I have been taking it for 3-4 was now. I feel NOTHING different.
You won't.  It takes initial dose 4-6 weeks to reach its potential in your blood.  At the end of that time, you should have labs drawn and re-evaluate symptoms.  A dose adjustment is likely.  Starting meds and finding the right dose is a process that takes weeks to months.  It's not like taking an antibiotic, where you feel better in 24 hours or so.