Thyroid Disorders Community
Losing weight while taking Synthroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Losing weight while taking Synthroid

I had my thyroid removed 3 years ago and my Dr. has not regulated my TSH levels yet. All she seems to do is play my dose of Synthroid (i am now on 175 mg) and hope the next blood levels come close to normal range. Each time my dose gets increased, I gain a pound or two...I am now up 16-18 pounds since my thyroid was removed. I tell her how impossible it is for me to lose any weight and explain that I eat healthy and exercise at least 4 days a week. I always get this look like I am lying about my eating habits....I swear if I was on a deserted island and only had water and my Synthroid, I would still gain weight!
Has anyone found a diet that works?

This discussion is related to Synthroid and other pills.
I know exactly what you are talking about. My thyroid  was removed 3 yrs. ago also, and the synthroid was increased over time, and the pounds kept coming. My daily routine as follows: excercise, diet, and ***** . I may lose 1 or 2 lbs., but then it's back again. I get so mad at times because my doctor has this attitude and thinks the same way that yours does. No matter what I do, It's never good enough. I hope that you have better luck than I do.
Can i take Champix with my synthroid medication ?
Much more important than TSH level is free T3 and free T4.  TSH is a pituitary secretion that is a signal to the thyroid glands.  It is affected by many variables and does not correlate well at all with hypo symptoms.  Free T3 and free T4 are the actual thyroid hormones that cause biological activity.  Free T3 is actually four times as potent as free T4 and it correlates best with symptoms.  If you haven't been tested for the "Frees" then that would be a good thing to have done.   If you will read through this article, then I think you can see the importance of the "Frees", and the need to get them into the upper part of their range to alleviate hypo symtoms (symptoms).

http://www.hormonerestoration.com/Thyroid.html