Thyroid Disorders Community
Low Sex Drive / Thyroid -

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Low Sex Drive / Thyroid -

So my wife has thyroid issues, and is on new medication which works really well! But her sex drive has taken the last train out of here!!!! What can we do about it? She is mid 30's and avg body size... works out 3 times per week....

HELP
is that all men think about anymore? I am laying here, having a depressing day, just found out I need thyroid surgery and worrying about my husband wanting it too, like is this the main thing in life now? sure, I'd love my sex drive back but to be constantly harrassed and having it demanded isn't going to bring it back, why can't he just calm down, we are in our late 50s though, so it may be diffferent for us, but omg, I can't beleive it, he is due home from work in an hour, I've had a bad day and I am worring about HIM and his NEEDS. I think it would do us women a lot of good if sometimes the husbands could just back off.
Cat I am sorry about your situation and I hope you and your condition improve right after your surgery

Now for the posters question. Yes thyroid conditions are basically centered around hormone issues and many symptoms. Unfortunately low sex drive is a common problem. This comes in alot of thyroid patients along with deoression and anxiety - So the patients comes very upset over their condition and the spouse or patner can suffer too.

Hopefully the condition will become balanced and her thyroid condition will return to normal.
Hi, I do feel sorry for you. It must be difficult for you to look at your lovely wife, feel attracted only to have little to no response back. You don't say how long she has been on the medication. It can take up to a year for the body to feel any near better. You say she is doing well on them, but I wonder how she really feels in herself. I guess the only advice I can give (and this is really coming from a very dear friend of mine who is now my ex-boyfriend) is love her for her, try hard to understand it is not forever and try to do things that are not sexual. Lots of thyroid patients only have energy for a hug, doesn't mean she doesn't find you attractive anymore...she probably feels lousy about it. I know I do! Been 3 years for me with no sex drive, and I can see why my poor boyfriend got fed up. But with luck he and I will get back together.
It's a tough time but I am sure if you love her you will get past this hurdle and see a change in her real soon
Hey there I completely understand your problem...I have been dealing with thyroid problems since 2003 and the low sex drive part actually bothers me too not just my husband...we had a very active sex life and once the symptoms, then the surgery, then the meds I was hoping to get back to it..but unfortunately I found out it is not like that. I am constantly hearing "Is it me?" I can not explain enough that it is not him, it is all the problems associated with my thyroid and him constantly asking me makes me more irritable...so to the advice...do something without her realizing your intentions...your intentions may aggrivate her aggrivation with symptoms...try a whole body massage, with low lights, and enya or enigma...then you do nothing and see if she goes after you for some lovemaking....it definetely works for me...although I know his intentions I ask for it...
Try catching her while she's sleeping.
CarMan you crack me up.