Thyroid Disorders Community
Low TSH,High T-4,High FTI

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Low TSH,High T-4,High FTI

My hair has been falling out for a month so my DR sent me for the following tests-My t-4 is high as is my FTI and my T3 uptake is in the normal but high range.So my family Doc decided to send me to a specialist My appt. is still a long time off.

T4-13.6 (NORMAL. RANGE.4.7 - 11.5)
T3 UPTAKE- 34.0 (NORMAL RANGE 24.2 - 34.2)
FTI-4.62 (NORMAL RANGE-1.68-3.80)

So I did my own online research and found I probably should of had a FREE T4 & T3 As Iam on Birth control pills and it can cause t4 to be elevated and that I could probably use a TSH to. They refused to send me for A Free t4&t3 but did send me for a TSH They said the tests they did are just as good as the free t4&t3.My TSH IS LOW.

TSH- 0.22

So does this point to hyper or hypo or what Iam confused I have more symptoms of hypo.
It points to hyper. Who refused to run the Free t3 adn free t4?? They are definately not as good as the tests you had done. The free's are the active thyroid hormone in the body. The other tests they ran are obsolete.....this dr definately doesn't specialize in thyroid. Maybe it is time to run to a thyroid specialist. You need further testing and including testing for Graves and Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroid diseases.
Symptoms can sometimes be the same for hypo and hyper.
Normal range for TSH is now .30-3.0, so you are a little hyper.
Don't let your dr bully you and treat you appropriately......find one who will treat you correctly! :)
Thanks for the answer its hard trying to figure all this out on my own.My family DR. didnt want to run the tests.I suppose he doesnt know anything about thyroid disorders so he just wants to get me out of his hair and send me to the endo dr. They made me an appt. but it was going to take untill AUG. To get me in. So I found another endo. closer to home and my appt is the 18th hopefully I can find out whats going on and get treated and hopefully save me remaning hair.Thanks again.
I agree with laura.
You are hyper and I totally agree with her posting.
The tests you had done are as old as the hills...of no use to you whatsoever.