Thyroid Disorders Community
Multinodular Goiter

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Multinodular Goiter

I am writing to get opinions in which direction I need to go. I had a goiter 5 years ago and has been suppresed with synthroid. Over the past year and half I have been telling my doctor somethign was outta wack. There answers have been " your getting older" "somepeople just have these issues and you just have to deal with it". I have all the symptoms again of hypothyroid. My neck is sore and have a noticable goiter. I had labs done.......blood test are all normal. I had an ultrasound last week. I was diagnosed with multinodular goiter which is different than past ultrasound. Its weird cause the ultrasound tech had to go get another tech to confirm what she was seeing and was told they would not read the study til next day and had results in 3 hours....... I was refered to an endocrinologist.........next available appmt.........10 1/2 weeks from now. I have called around to other endocrinologist but same/longer wait time. Should I push the issue for a sooner appmt or have any ideas how I can feel better???
endocrinologists are few and far between where i'm from. appointments are at least 3-4 weeks out. I have a multinodular goiter that give me all the symptoms you have explained. i've seen two endos and they both say it's nothing. I was just started on synthroid only because i had to throw a fit. 10 months is a long time to suffer with no results. so to answer your question, i say push the issue. This whole ordeal has shown me that you have to be your own advocate. I have no ideas on how to feel better because i'm still miserable. I was told it takes several weeks to feel any result for the synthroid, great?
Where do you live??? It's not considered an Emergency to have a Multinodular Goiter so watiing 10 weeks for an appt is ok as far as that is concerned however i truly know how you feel.

Always ask for copies of all of your medical results and keep them. Synthroid may shrink the goiter, but it won't disappear and it will sometimes grow even bigger.
The nodules are "masses" inside of the goiter that can be normal or abnormal.

Once you see an Endo, you will need copies of your ultrasound reports. The endo will refer you to have a Fine Needle Biopsy of the nodule to determine the state of the nodules and then take it from there. Always get a second opinion anyhow.

You will be fine. i alway "had" a multinodular goiter and although my fna was benign, cancer could not be excluded so the thyroid was surgically removed. Thank God the pathology report was bengn as well. Alot of people are in your situation and some of of have to have surgery to rid of the goiter w/nodules.

I am 33 year old woman who has been treated to have a non- toxic multi nodular goiter . my neck is so swollen on both sides , I  noticed how my neck changed after my daughter was born six years ago, I have had multiple test and lab work  done the FNA and biopsy also ultrasound . I'm constantly educating myself as far as what I'm dealing with and how it is affecting my health . its hereditary in my family . I'm tired of going through this issue .  Its a wreck  of havoc where I get self conscious about my appearance and how people look at me   Even for two years I was place on levothyroxine 25 mcg. which I felt didn't help my problem , I'm leery about surgery but right now I've done everything  I could do  possible to treat this problem ,I'm wondering is surgery the only option or can my goiter shrink naturally. Please someone give me good advice cause I'm desperate for answers