My infant was born with a high TSH level
My baby girl was born at week 36  with a weight of 1.9kg and she is twin. Her brother was born at a weight of 2.8kg.

I did the TSH for my baby girl after one week of being born and it was at 15.10mU/L. normal range for Neonates (1-7 days) was 0.50-15.0. Her borther was within normal range.

On day 16 we did  T3 and T4 test, and the Free Thyroxine, serum level was at 19.05pmol/L (normal range 9.0-24.0) while The Free Triiodothyronine , serum level was at 4.94pmol/L (normal range 2.8-7.1). We were told at the point all is ok and we should not worry.

We did the TSH, TS3 and T4 again for her  at age 33 days, and the results were for TSH 12.55mU/L (normal range for Neonates 8-30 days 0.5-10.0), for Free Thyroxine, serum level it was at 15.95pmol/L (normal range 9.0-24.0) and the Free Triiodothyronine , serum level was at 5.78pmol/L (normal range 2.8-7.1).

Her doctor refered us to an Endocrinology and metabolism consultant who suggested she should take Euthyrox 25 (Levothyroxine sodium) with a daily tablet 4 days a week and 1.5 tablet on the remaining 3 days of the week for 1.5 years and then we should establish next steps. He also asked up to do the TSH level test after 2 weeks. He said we should take any risks with waiting as this might affect her development.

My questions are:

1. Why are babies born with such a high TSH level usually? is it genetic?
2. Is this diagnosis and treatment correct for her case?
3. Do we really need to do a 1.5 years dose? can we stop earlier and check if things got better without medicine?

I can't answer ur ?s, but want to wish u and ur twins the best!!!

I pray someone on the forum can help ease ur mind.

Godspeed
"selma"
thank you Selma..so kind of you...
bumping up on list.
bumping up on list.