Thyroid Disorders Community
My levothyroxine side effects

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Viewing 201-275 comments:
I went to the doctors for the same reason as you. I was jittery, had a hand tremor and kept feeling like I was going to drop things. My TSH came back at 8 and also had abnormal levels of antibodies. I was put on Synthroid (Levothyroxine) a few days ago and have since had punding headaches and tired all day, almost worse than before I was diagnosed. However, the Endicrinologist explained that it's common to have both symptoms of hyper (shaking, nausea, heart palpitaions, ect..)  and hypo (slugishness, fatigue, constipation, etc...) while the body is adjusting to the hormone.
As stated above, this is a very old thread and most of the posters are no longer even active on the forum.

It would be far better if you begin a new thread, stating your own situation, than attaching to a thread this old.

As explained above, you can start a new thread by clicking on the orange "Post a Question" button at the top of this page.  That will bring up a blank form on which you can type your questions/comments, then click the green "Post a Comment" button just below your post.

You can access the home page of the thyroid forum via the following link:
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Thyroid-Disorders/show/73?controller=forums&action=show&id=73&camp=msc
hi i am on levothyroxine 50mcg since 2010 at that time I had fatigue, heavy headed, tired, lack of apatite, mood swings and my wt was normal 51 kgs only  But since I started on levo 50 mcg I have put on 13kgs now I weigh 63kg but my other symptoms remain the same.  I have heard about armour and cytomel t3 which is good and helps wt as well. But in UK no doctors prescribe armour .. IF ANYONE IS AWARE OF A DOCTOR WHO PRESCRIBE ARMOUR PLEASE LET ME KNOW
Thought you might like to know about this.  You might find this info useful in your discussions with your doctor.  

IMPRESSIVE GOOD THYROID NEWS!  

After a grueling week by the United Kingdom’s General Medical Council (GMC) , it was decided that the UK’s most renowned thyroid practitioner, Dr. Gordon P. Skinner, should have all his restrictions lifted and his Fitness to Practice restored!

On November 11th, 2007, the GMC had decided that the beloved Dr Gordon Skinner was not fit to practice, simply because in 2005, he dared to listen to and dose by a patient’s clinically-presented thyroid symptoms rather than her TSH labwork–the latter which fell in the erroneous normal range.  Even more dastardly, felt the GMC, Skinner was going to treat the patient without a referral letter from her GP, and may have failed to contact the GP. Heaven Forbid!!

Says a recent statement from TPA-UK:

The GMC have agreed that Dr Skinner was not acting dangerously in initiating treatment with thyroid hormone replacement for those patients who had normal thyroid function tests but who suffered several symptoms and signs of hypothyroidism. They also agreed that for those patients who did not do well on levothyroxine-only therapy, the use of natural desiccated thyroid extract (i.e. Armour Thyroid) was a safe and effective thyroid hormone replacement that doctors could prescribe, even though it remains unlicensed. This is a precedent - and one that the British Thyroid Association are most definitely very unlikely to be happy with.

We are well aware of the difficulty getting adequately tested and treated in the UK; however, one of our UK members who was successful told us this.

"What I have learned from my experience is that you have to go to the Dr's office and TELL THEM WHAT YOU WANT and to go backed up with knowledge.  You have to tell them that you have done your reading and looked into your condition and care about the long-term treatment of your health and thyroid.  If you fight for what you want, you will eventually find someone that is happy to go along with your wishes.  But we all have to take charge of our own health, right?"

We also know that there are UK patients who are getting Armour Thyroid, but it seems that they have to go private and pay out of pocket to get it.  Please let us know how it goes for you.

OMG i was having the same symptoms it turned out not only did i have thyroid problems but i also had low potassium and low magnesium. It took 3 years befor they diagnosed me, the doctors kept telling me the same thing that it was all in my head or that is was anxiety NOT. You know your body better then anyone keep going to ER i had no insurence either.
This is a very old thread and most of the previous posters no longer participate in the forum, so it's unlikely that they will respond.
My husband mike is take levothyroxine and all the thing that you feeling is happening to him, his mood changes one of this biggest problem in his life and i thought he was just acting crazy until i read your post. I know he not alone, it good to read.
Try to get some homeopathic medicine. It is available online or at whole foods. Hylands or Boiron are great companies. The pills have no interactions and no side affects. Sometimes certain ones will not work for me. Like headaches I cant take any type of homeopathy, but my mom gets rid of every headache with it! They have one for nausea tha works great and one for stomach issues. Check out the Boiron website first. I am sending a link below .

http://www.boironusa.com/homeopathy/what-is-homeopathy.php

I buy mine at Whole foods, I recently saw them at my local Walgreens too.

Hope you feel better!! I just got diagnosed today with Hypothyroid and got a script for levothyroxine ( .25 mcg to start), now I am a bit nervous after reading the posts here!! I take it tomorrow for the first time.

I ve been on levo for 10 yrs now and i have never felt so bad in my life my doctor assures me im doing well but i know my body i wish they had never started trying to cure me i was having fun in my life now i dont because i feel like crap every single day...if my husband had mined his own buisness i would still be leading a normal life not in pain everyday...stop telling me dr.that its all in my head your not in my body.
With the levo my feet hurt my hand hurt finger swollen stomach feels bloated neck hurts head hurts arms hurt toes finger tingle tired feeling all the time was a constant 110 lbs even after the birth of my children now im a whopping 155 even though ive never changed eating habit in miserable nobidy wants to help they think in nuts cant even wear heels anymore because my legs wobble....just want to feel alive again
THIS IS A VERY OLD THREAD AND LONG THREAD.....

PLEASE DO NOT POST ON IT ANY MORE.  YOU CAN BEGIN A NEW THREAD, LISTING YOUR OWN ISSUES, BY CLICKING ON THE ORANGE "POST A QUESTION" BUTTON AT THE TOP OF THIS PAGE.  WHEN DONE TYPING YOUR MESSAGE, CLICK THE GREEN "POST A COMMENT" BUTTON TO POST TO THE FORUM.

THANK YOU

I was diagnosed this winter and started out on Levothyroxine 0.075MG.  I experienced so much bloating that I went up a full size in pants (after gaining a full size due to hypothyroid).  By the third month of taking it, the extreme intestinal cramping was unbearable. My doctor just switched me to Synthroid 0.075MG and within the first day I had the same symptoms. I am at a loss, but I also can't live like this.  I am drinking at least 40 ounces of water each day and am supposed to be drinking 60 ounces because other medications I am on cause dehydration also.
Please do not post to this thread.  This thread is closed.  

******     CLOSED ****************************************
word!
What are your current TSH levels?  It sounds like you are not on enough Levo and still have all of the Hypo symptoms.

**********  THIS THREAD IS CLOSED *****************************
word
Kevin,  yer fired.
cool!  
#######THIIS THREAD IS OPEN###########################
*******

People that post in this thread will be ex communicated*******
####################WORD ###############################
yes i get the same symptoms hunny been getting them for awhile my bit thing is the itching of the hand where they feel like they are total on for and swollen and itcjh really bad
Hello everyone!

This is my first post. I saw a post that made me feel that some might not understand a couple of things. So, in my own (possibly unorthodox way) I will try to explain. Please understand that by having hypothyroidism & fibromyalgia they are two completely different medical issues even though they have some of the same symptoms. I say this because I have them both. They were diagnosed many years apart. Unfortunately I am being treated by a VA doctor that refuses to listen to me most of the time. I am considering talking to the VA about changing doctors. I'm having trouble taking Levothyroxine. I get over heated just sitting in my apartment in my panties. I have also had chest pain, as well as what's called chest wall pain, palpitations, shortness of breath & my anxiety is worse when I take it. It's odd though that the posts I've read no one has said anything about sensitivity to heat. I know the heat is difficult on everyone this year but other people around me don't seem to have my problem & my idiot VA doctor is not helping me. I stopped the Levothyroxine & the heat isn't bothering me like it was. I'm just hot outside like everyone else. It has to have been the problem. I'm going to ask the VA doctor to refer me to an endocrinologist. I know he's going to give me a song & dance about it but he's not his body, it's mine. Contrary to what he thinks I know my body best.
If you want to find a cure for your symptoms, you probably want to start a new threat.

+++++++++++++This thread is CLOSED+++++++++++++++++++++
Hi.  I'm 49 years old and just had my yearly physical.  Come to find out my estrogen level is low and also my thyroid level.  Do these go hand and hand?  My doctor put me on levothyroxine.  I've been on it for six days and decided to stop taking it this morning.  I simply cannot handle the horrible side effects.  I felt fine while not knowing of my thryoid condition but now with the med, I feel sicker than a dog.  Headaches, nausea, vomiting, lethargic, extremely moody, anxious,  etc.  My mom was on levothyroxine and couldn't handle it so her doctor put her on Tirosent (sp).  Does anyone have any input on this med and if it works for them w/o the terrible side effects?
the thread that will never die

Only the mods can close a thread; members can not.
This is a very old thread and your issues would get much more attention if you post a new thread, listing your symptoms and questions. You can do so, by clicking on the orange "Post a Question" button at the top of this page, then type your message and click the green "Post a Comment" button or you can click on the following link, to get to the home page of the thyroid forum, and follow the procedure outlined above.

www.medhelp.org/forums/Thyroid-Disorders/show/73?controller=forums&action=show&id=73&camp=msc

That said, it's not unusual for symptoms to get much worse, before they get better.  It's also possible that your doctor started you out on too high a dosage.  What dosage did you start on?

What tests did your doctor do to determine that you have a thyroid condition?  What were the results, with reference ranges?
there are mods?   LOL
Mods only close threads on which there are "issues", such as arguments, etc.  These old threads are found through googling; unfortunately, people don't look to see how old they are and find our home page to post new threads..... they just post, then of course, we post on them, so that's what keeps them alive.  In order for them to "die", everyone would have to stop posting on them.  
*** THIS THREAD LIVES ON!!!!!!!!!!**********
+++++   post all yall want.  I dont care anymore +++++++  We all know the truth about all this stuff anyway but no one wants to admit it.

+++++   post and post and post till yer isthmus is happy and jolly ++++
The pharmacy recently gave me levothyroxine generic instead of my usual  brand name levoxyl. The medecine gave me the following symptoms: acne, some constipation, anxiety and depression, constant headaches, a pink swollen nose, a puffy face, sleep disturbance ( was waking up about after about 3-4 hours of sleeping and could not fall back asleep).
I was on levothyroxine for about a month and a half. I didn't make the connnection at first, I did some research and understood that it was the genereic brand causing all these symptoms. I stopped the medication, asked the doc for a levoxyl prescription. the symptoms are slowly disappearing. (i've been back on levoxyl for three days)
WOW.  thanks for posting on this post.  This is a great place to learn more about your symptoms and help you.  Feel free to post on this thread all you would like,  we will be right with you
If you want this thread to die, please don't post on it anymore.  Maybe others will stop, as well.
Good day:
I have a thyroid problem I was diagnosed a month, since then I am taking levothyroxine 25mg. I'm losing hair with peeled about two months and my doctor says it is caused by the thyroid. But I have noticed that since I started taking this medicine suits me more hair and I'm gaining weight just in time quite sometimes feel very dizzy. I am aware that these side effects and normal in this type of treatment.
Could you tell me if will always be so?
I'm afraid because I'm losing a lot more hair and huge weight gain.
Thank you
According to what I was told your side affects are temporary. I was told the weight I gained would just come off naturally. I was lucky & hadn't gain that much weight. I did lose the weight & my hair stopped falling out. It was a trial at first because my doctor didn't even want me on any meds because my blood test showed I had minor hypo but the doctor that saw me before that advised me to start the meds so my doctor finally put me on it. I was never dizzy so I can't give you any in sight on that one. I have since been changed to another medication & so far I'm fine. I'm on a very low dose so I'm not sure about all the problems that can happen on a higher dose. Perhaps someone else will see your post & help you more. Good luck!
That is a very low dose of levothyroxine.  Instead of the med, I'd be much more suspicious that your weight gain and hair loss is due to continuing insufficient levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4.  If you will please post your thyroid test results and their reference ranges, members will be better able to assess the adequacy of your testing and treatment.  Also, if you have been tested for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin, please post those also.
Don't laugh too hard but my dose is only 0.05 mg.
Well, that is twice the dose of mariaviana.  She said it was 25 mg, but I'm sure it is 25 mcg.  By comparison, your dose is 50 mcg.  It is very easy to get confused about the dosages.  

And how are you really feeling?  What do your lab test results look like?
Your reply is interesting. According to what I was told I'm on a very low dose & it's only been increased one time so far. Yes, the mcg doses do confuse me since I was only taught mg.

Thanks for asking. So far I'm feeling pretty good. My over heating episodes are less frequent & not nearly as bad as they were. I won't have my blood tests until sometime in October. There has also been a GAMMA GT ordered but I don't drink & my liver test have come back normal. So I don't know why it was ordered. I wish these doctors would tell me why they order different tests & what they're looking for.

I'm kind of fighting with my primary care VA doctor since he's dragging his feet. He's ordered no tests. All he's done is agree to disagree with me. He wants to take away all my vitamins & possibly my estrogen. That's not gonna happen. I don't have a good diet so I need them & I was also told that to keep me as healthy as possible because of the fibromyalgia I need these vitamins.
Yes, the dosages can be easily misunderstood.  Many times you will see .025 mg.  This is the same as 25 mcg.  Many times we will be told that a patient is taking .25 mg, which we know is very unlikely, because that would be 250 mcg.  

Anyway, your 50 mcg is a relatively low dosage.    It will be very interesting to see what your Free T3 and Free T4 levels show in the Oct. tests.  Make sure that those tests are done.
I'm taking the natural route. Don't like meds. . Don't like side effects!
So what is this natural route?  I'm sure members would like to know more.
I've already called the doctor & ask that I get all 3. My blood draw is scheduled for October 22nd so as soon (& if) I get the results I will post it. I may have to request the results from the VA's Release of Information. We'll just wait & see. Oh, I almost forgot. The Endo doctor said he would call me with the results & when he does I'll ask him to send me a copy.
I want to know what type of meds are you taking,I mean the holistic approach! I would like to know.My doctor want even see me anymore because I complain are should I say,She told me in a firm way go to the hospitol If I feel like that but she is not going to take me off of the LEVOTHYROXIN (levothyroxine) 100 MG.
I want to the natural also. Please reply.
I'm so glad I found this conversation. My husband has been taking levothyroxine on and off for a few years (which mostly means he use to never take it) Just this past month I told him we should try him taking it everyday for several months and see what happens. These past few weeks though, he has been really irritated and had been feeling super sick. I wish I could find a way to help him. I think his automatic reaction is just not to take anything at all, but the long term effects of that worries me more.

Any suggestions? I would be interested to know what the "natural" route is as well. Thanks!
he sounds like he may need an increase.
Got my labs back & my levels for all 3 are within normal levels. So all is well for now. I never got the energy boost I hoped for. It maybe because I'm in so much pain because of cervical bone spurs. I'm getting an MRI 12/4. I had a standard x-ray last Thursday & it was not good. I tried to tell my doctor but he wouldn't listen. Now the egg is on his face & running down. That's ok because I won't have him much longer. I've requested a new doctor. It's only a matter of time. Maybe the new one will actually listen to me since he handles most of the female patients. He's not a GYN just a primary care doc.
I am late to this conversation, but I was wondering if you could describe when you are dizzy?  I experience dizzy as a visual, like you are sitting in the back seat of a car and it is on a bumpy road.  My labs are all normal, I am gluten free but feel like ice is running through my veins.  My endocrinologist said she would change my med to Armor.
Please post your thyroid related lab test results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report so that members can better assess the adequacy of your testing and treatment.   If you look at this list of typical hypothyroid symptoms, do you have others as well?

http://endocrine-system.emedtv.com/hypothyroidism/hypothyroidism-symptoms-and-signs.html
Hello, I was diagnosed with hypothyroid I am taking levothyroxine 0.025mg one per day and I am also taking nortriptyline for migraines my symptoms are nasuea,weakness,dizziness,and the headaches I had use to be across my forhead and swithed to my skull with numbness please help me I need to know if this is normal if any one have had these symptoms I know one of the side effects of nortriptyline is tingling but I dont know about numbness Thank you for reading my little paragraph
Please post your thyroid related test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report.  Also, have you been tested for Vitamin D, B12, ferritin, and a full iron test panel?  If so, please post those results and ranges as well.

For info, I have read that a significant portion of the population is deficient in magnesium.  I have also read that low magnesium is a major cause of migraines, and that taking magnesium was effective in relieving migraines.  Should be worth a try.   If you decide to do so, there are several types that are recommended.  These include magnesium citrate and  magnesium glycinate.  There are also others that are recommended, but don't bother with magnesium oxide types.  I take 400 mg of the magnesium glycinate.

so glad to see this thread re-opened again for the 800th time!
Anyone have any eye pressure or twitching after medication increase.
yes i did!
I did too
Barb who hired you to comment on most of these post that are old their symptoms are not old. I had my thyroids removed and I have had them all. I have grandkids and could not even be around them cause of the rapid heart beats the anixiety the restlessness, sleeping too much aches and pains took the darn medication for 10 years and suffered for the same. The post you claim are old are helpful and the symptoms are real. I completely stopped taking the crap and I have never felt better I have no thyroid it was taken out and it was never anything wrong with it. I discovered I had never had a bad thyroid test come up. I felt used and lifeless. Doctors do not take you serious why should one pay and beg for help at the same time.  Let these people express themselves and you express yourself and keep your negative thoughts to yourself and let them express themselves their post helped me and sure it helped others.
Sorry, but you misunderstand Barb's intent in her posts about the age of this thread.  Certainly nothing at all wrong with reading all the posts, picking up useful info and making informative comments.  If you read more carefully you will see that whenever we try to steer a new member to start a new thread by posting their questions under their own name, the only reason is to try and get new posters' more attention and response to their personal questions and concerns.   We have learned over the years that when a new member posts on an old thread, it frequently gets overlooked as likely being just a comment on the old thread instead of new questions and concerns.  I think that posts from new members get more overall attention and response than older threads.  Just a fact of life, since few of us have time to read every single post all day long.  So Barb is just trying to help new members, not hinder them from participating and getting the info they are looking for.      Best to you.
OH my Gosh I have had the same problem as you have had to deal with   "low potassium and low magnesium It took 6 years.... before I finally found a internal Med Doctor that was my age that was Indonesian (LOVE THEM BY THE WAY)  that finally diagnosed me.... all the other doctors kept telling me the same thing  the same BS that the Doctors where tell you  "it was all in my head or that is was anxiety" Because I have Anxiety Attacks from Multiple TBI Traumatic brain injury. So everyone wanted to just through me out to the wolves and just say it had to do with my head injury and leave it at that or blame it on my Mental Illness that was brought on by my head injury.... So Latrice868 I feel your pain Are you in the USA by chance??? If so then I can understand why you went through this BS... I would suggest finding a Doctor that has studied outside of America and then Came to America got there Green card they are absolutely have the best bedside manner.... regular US Doctors bedside manner SUCK From my Experience... I am a USA citizen and it is sad to say that but from my experience it is the honest truth from my experience. US Dr.s they do not have the patients, the respect, and
common courtesy to deal with most of the severity cases. When it comes to the every day mondane people with the sniffles and common colds yeah.        
"if life is a bowl of cherries, why am i in the pit?"
keep positive!
LOL    never dude.  
I have been taking 25mcg of Levo for about 3 months now. It all started after I could not get out of bed for a week, felt flu-like, no energy, no motivation, etc. I went to the ER finally after having severe panic attacks. They did blood work & the only thing the doc could find was that my thyroid levels were slightly under normal. So I started 1 pill every morning on an empty stomach. It seemed to help a little bit at first, with the energy, but made my anxiety MUCH worse. My anxiety got so bad I lost my job, about 3 weeks ago. For the past 2 weeks I have felt extremely dizzy, light headed, tunnel vision, outside looking in, and find it severely hard to pay attention, and hyper senses (this is all day long). I almost have to hold myself up from passing out sometimes. I just started a new job this week & the symptoms have gotten progressively worse. I've already missed one day. The job is very detailed oriented, yet I cannot absorb my training whatsoever. I am deciding to stop taking the thyroid medicine as of 2 days ago. I had been diagnosed with pneumonia a week before I went to the E.R. when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I honestly believe I may have been mis-diagnosed. I've had anxiety on & off since 2007 (have an attack like once every 6 months) & it's never affected me this badly. I was never ever dizzy & had the tunnel vision. I just had random attacks, not an all-day anxiety thing. I even had to go to the mental health center today to talk about, yet again, more anxiety meds. I am a very down-to-earth person, very controlled & it's driving me nuts that I have no control over my body & mind. I want so bad to feel better. I hope that stopping this medicine will help. Anyone else feeling this way?
I feel the same way, started taking 50mg of Levothyroxine about 9 weeks now, my levels were at 7 then down to 1.5, I also have low iron, and that doesn't help as you can't eat anything with iron for breakfast as it doesn't absorb properly. I am so tired. As soon as the pill kicks in, I start to yawn and then I know I am not myself. I thought this would help me as my Dr also told me I would lose weight. Nothing fits me but pull up pants and I feel so gross trying on clothes. My stomach is bloated all the time and I feel nuts when I go to the Dr. I am going for a Abdomen ultrasound to see if the meds aren't killing my stomach. My face looks red and I have no more headaches, which is great, but still...I hate this. I feel like a zombie then the hulk...help!
thats funny...I feel the same way, but we can't cherry pick our way until we get answers!
Since I have been on Lethroxine Thyroid medication, I'm starting to lose a lot of my hair.  God forbid.    My TS reading is 4.99 which I believe was the old normal.  Please advise.   I feel that I'm on too much medication.  Your thoughts on the matter
This is a very old thread, and you'll get much more input on your individual issues if you go to the top of the page and click the orange "Post a Question" button and start your own, new thread.

When you do that, please post any recent labs you have with reference ranges (they vary lab to lab and have to come from your own lab report).  

Also, tell us how much levo you take, and how long have you been taking it, and any other symptoms you might have.
yes i felt exactly the same i went onto pregablin 75mgs per day,they said take 150mgs per day but i found that knocked me out too much,but when my anxiety is very bad i split dose them like 75mgs in afternoon and then another 75mgs in evening and then im just nice and calm,the usual dose is 150mgs,i wanted to come off thyroxine but a little scared coz i did get pneumonia like 5 times a year and be bedridden for 2weeks or more and sometimes i must admitt i did go into a coma like state.where i couldnt move or go to pik my phone up,so thats why i havmt jumped off them,since ive been on thyroxine tho i have put on weight and very anxious and sometimes very snappy and jumpy at people and i hate it,bit all the same pregablin are so good coz they not addictive or psychiatric drug its actually a painkiller and anti spasmodic for epilepsy but stabilizes mood as well try em they r brilliant keep you calm and not neurotic and yoy can still focus and function and alot more so coz youre calm. good luck x
Anybody know what is the closest comparison to Levoxyl? (fillers and all)

Considering Tirosint...what would be best, starting on a low dose - half of what was prescribed on Levoxyl (.137mcg Levoxyl) and then gradually increasing?

HELP!

** side note** I am feeling a bit better not taking the .137mcg Levoxyl the last couple of days; were the dosages off the last 6-12 months? I was more tired lately on it I noticed.   ????
I have been on synthroid now for about 4 months and feel like I am dying. I thought it was the statin I was taking but I quit taking that and still feel horrible. SEVERE intolerance to heat, skin rash (that the good Dr can't see so didn't treat) and then he tells me to stay on the 25MG and that its all in my mind, just the hand I was dealt, so am thinking of discontinuing the synthroid, whats the worst that can happen? Maybe I can actually fell human again!  Also have nerve pain, wake up several times during the night, have gained weight in my belly that is disgusting and can't exercise because of the pain! I have SO many symptoms it's unreal. Now this last week and a half my left eye has been bothering me. Thought at first it was a sty but eye Dr says nothing there. Now it twitches and feels like it's "pulling" most of the time... I am depressed and can't keep a job anymore cause I can't wear shoes due to extreme nerve pain in feet! Also seem to be losing a LOT of hair, especially in the front. My hair used to be ultra thick, starting to look like a chemo patient. It's that bad! Any help is appreciated!  I hope I get better!

Also, tell us if you've been on 25 mcg all four months and list all your symptoms.
Viewing 201-275 comments: