Potassium / Triglycerides levels
Last week I had a very scary experience due to my potassium level getting too low and going into a shock. I was transported to the emergency room semi-conscious and completely cramped up and only after having been injected potassium with an IV I was able to start functioning again.

I am 42, 165lb, 5' 10" and I do not have any medical history and I do not take any medication. I have been subjected to yearly physicals and the results have been generally in the norm with usually a fairly high level of triglycerides (200 - 250) and low level of "good" cholesterol (30-40).

After last week occurrence, my MD has prescribed a large number of blood tests and urine work (24 collection of specimen to check the kidneys) and today I received my first results.

Urine tests normal;
Potassium levels normal at 4.3;
all other functions such as sugar etc. normal however I have the following cholesterol picture:

Bad 203
Good 67
Triglycerides 621

This is completely out of  with my usual trend. I have been under quite a bit of stress in the last six months however this is not completely unusual for me. As far as my diet is concerned no changes.

In the last 4/5 weeks I have experienced quite a lot of fatigue and I don't feel as energetic as I used too.
Also in the past during my usual yearly check it was found that my liver function were a bit outside the norm (I don't drink or smoke) and the doctor suspected a fatty liver. Further tests (ultrasounds etc.) however showed no abnormalities.

Now the questions: Could this be caused by a Thyroid condition? Do you have any clues you can share with me?

As you can imagine I am a little shaken by my recent experience and I would like to know how I can avoid it besides eating tons of bananas.

Thank you so much,
Stefano

anybody!!!
Did you have your calcium levels checked as well? Just curious, because your symptoms (severe cramping) are similar to low calcium, which can be related to poor functioning of the parathyroids.  However, this occurs most often after thyroid surgery, when parathyroids have been damaged.  It won't hurt to do the simple blood test and have your TSH (thyroid hormone level) measured, especially if you have health insurance to cover it.  
Thank you hazelhurst. I did have the calcium checked and was normal. I am waiting on the TSH test to come back.

Regards,
Stefano