Thyroid Disorders Community
RAI scans

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

RAI scans

Ord. DX:  MALIGN NEOPL THYROID    (What does this mean i was diagnosed with Microcarcinoma variant of papillary carcinoma on pathology report)

EXAM; O428-0016 NM/THYROID CA MET WB IMG

HSTORY; THYROID CANCER,ASSESS POST THYROIDECTOMY

The study was performed subsequent to the pill of 2.6 mCi. Imaging was performed at 48 and 72 hours and demonstrates residual degree of increased uptake probably representing most of the left lobe the right lobe is not visualized although there is also a small amount of activity caudal to the main residual activity in the midline or slightly toward the right. This could represent residual nodul disease or thyroid disease. Elsewhere there are no focal areas of abnormal uptake noted.

Impression:  Significant residual uptake in the neck ablation will be needed

WHAT DO THESE RESULTS MEAN?

This discussion is related to thyroid surgery.
This is what I researched..........

“malignant neoplasm of the thyroid gland” means a primary malignancy arising from the cells of the thyroid gland."

The treatment for this is Thyroidectomy and RAI.
This will eradicate the cells and all cancer.

Hope that helps.
Hi Smilerdeb,

Found out today that my TSH is 150.0
T4Free-0.60 low
T3 Free-0.7 low
Throgobulin-16.9 high after TT

I-131 whole body scan show moderate uptake on left side of neck and little bits in middle and right side of neck.

All results and reports are being sent for 2nd opinion to MD Anderson Cancer center

In the meantime my doc has cancelled RAI and put me on Synthroid because my TSH got dangerously high
So, how low do you have to get before they do RAI and will you have to be off of meds again for awhile?  

When I was first diagnosed with thyca, they told me I had time, we could have waited several weeks if I had things that I had to accomplish.  I simply decided not to wait.  Let's get it done and now.  My decision.  ...this is very, very, very treatable and I know more than a bit terrifying, at least it was for me, but just keep doing what your doing...I know the waiting must be rediculously hard, but get that TSH down and go again.  Take care of  yourself...pamper yourself....long baths...lighted candles....nice music... When the husband gets home...some cuddling and slow dancing..
Get your hair done, your face ripped off (waxing..well that is what it feels like. ), toes and nails done. Be good to yourself.  You deserve it.  dang it.  
Talked to MD Anderson this morning they said they received the papers from Dr. Arian's office,now the papers will be sent to their Endocrinologist and they will call and let me know when my appointment is with them. Should be within 3 business days i hope that they will call and make the appointment.

I'm feeling a little more settled this morning after 4 days on the Synthroid. I finally slept some last night so that helped.