Thyroid Disorders Community
Severe Constipation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Severe Constipation

After giving birth I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. The diagnosis was brought about by the fact that I had not had a bowl movewment in over 6 weeks. I am now on L-thyroxine (6 weeks) but continue to have severe constipation that can only be solved by an enema every 2-3 days. Fiber and other meds do not work.

Are there any tests that can assist in propoer medicatrions that can return me to a nrmal bowel function?

Thank you.
Tags: bowel
Have you spoke with your doctor about this situation?  And is your doctor an endocrinologist, a doctor that specializes in the thyroid?  I was diagnosised with Hash's after the birth of my 3rd child just recently.  Did you have any other symptoms or just the constipation?  
Have you tried Miralax? It's over the counter and helps my son who has bad constipation issues.

What is your TSH now?

It is possible your constipation is due to still being hypo.
I have found that when constipation and I don't even get the urge to move my bowels for 5-6 days are longer. If I use a bulk producing laxative it's makes it worse and I feel like all 22 feet of my bowels is filled, the bloating will make me look 6 sometimes 7 mos pregnant!
When it gets like this I actually start leaking feces and don't even feel that it's happening. - VERY embarrassing!
I have been complaining over and over to my Gen Doc who doesn't seem to take me seriously, like I am exaggerating! She prescribes Miralax, and to some extent it helps, I go every 4 days or so, yet I never feel like my bowels are cleared. I worry that my body is going to get addicted to laxatives and I will get stuck using them forever.

I use Activia as well.

Not to be too gross, but when I do go, it is not marbles, it's like a long tube of thick paste.

I am frustrated with my doc. I tell her it is a symptom of my hypothyroid, that it goes away and my bowels are normal when my meds are correct and when it returns I know I am hypo again and need an increase in my meds. She'll check my TSH and if she thinks it's normal won't even do a FT3 and 4. What she doesn't get is that when my T3 is too low, that's when I start losing hair, get anxious/depressed, constipated, my period gets all whacked out and my hips ache.

It's always about the TSH numbers for her and never how I feel. If it gets low, she reduces my meds and then here we go again back to the hypo state - even though I didn't have a single hypo symptom!. When I complain about gaining weight she discounts that too because even though I have gained 22 lbs I am still thinner than she is. Being heavy may be okay to her - her "normal" - and she accepts it, but it is not MY normal and I am NOT okay with it. I will not accept this as my new "normal".

My Dr assumes she is in control of my body and if I try to tell her what I think, she just shakes her head and repeats the numbers saying they are normal, that I just need to exercise more (I walk 6-8 miles every day!) and all those symptoms will improve. AAAAGGGG! I can't tell you how frustrated I am.

I tried to explain to her that the "ranges" are based on a bell curve and the "median" is just an average - called normal. And how do you obtain that "normal" by thousands of people who EACH have their own normal. Some can be fine well above the mean, some well below the mean. But then there are those of us who's "normal" is at the top of the range (or beyond) and some (like myself) feel best when my TSH is very low and my FT4 and my FT3 in particular, need to be on the high normal range.

When I say these things to her she just tells me "it's complicated and confusing" and that I just don't understand. This is deeply insulting to me - basically she is saying to me, "I am the doctor, you are the patient" I know more than you do about your condition that you do."

She tells me to quit reading information on the internet. Does this mean I shouldn't read scholarly articles? Next time I see her I am going to print off these articles and give them to her. I don't care if I am insulting her "I'm and MD and you are not" mentality. I will NOT allow her to treat me like I am some kind of hypochondriac. ALL of my symptoms are not uncommon with a messed up thyroid - why can't she see that.

If my thyroid is so "normal" then why won't she look for another issue for this constipation - a partial blockage or nerve damage. Leaking pasty poop and not even know it is happening  IS NOT NORMAL!

I have made an appointment with an endocrine doctor, he's male and I have never had a male doctor
Correction, when she reduces my meds because she say I am "hyper" with a low TSH I do not EVER feel like I am hyper thyroid.

As a matter of fact: currently my TSH is just under the low range - yet my FT 4 is practically ZERO and my T3 barely a blip on the scale (1.30) - and I am convinced it is only that high because I take a small dose of liothyronine. She wants me to go back down to 50MCG of Levothyroxine. So in a few weeks I am going to feel like crap all because my TSH says I am hyper - despite the hypo symptoms I am feeling.

I want to see a naturopath, but practicing naturopathy in my state is against the law.

I don't want to become so ill I become suicidally depressed and that is how bad it gets when my number bottoms out.

I hate "only the numbers matter" doctors!
That is not normal. I have Hashi's and have never had a constipation problem except when I was taking iron supplements. The fact that you say sometimes you don't feel it coming out when it does suggests to me that something else is going on. Sounds to me like your doctor should work you up for gastroparesis. This is when the stomach nerves are damaged and you don't digest your food quickly enough. Are you diabetic by any chance? Gastroparesis is not uncommon with diabetics. While a diet full of whole grains is good for most of us, it will wreak havoc if you have gastroparesis. You could try changing your diet by avoiding whole grains for awhile and see if it helps.