Thyroid Disorders Community
Sinking fast and need help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Sinking fast and need help

Hi all, I'm writing this post because i feel like i'm sinking really fast and need a little support from those of you who can empathize with my situation. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about 2 months ago. I have been on 50mcg of levothyroxine for that same time and have not felt better at all (with the exception of maybe 2 or 3 days). In fact, im starting to feel worse with what i think might be hyper symptoms. Unbelievable heart palps, anxious, sweating, dizzy irritable etc.  I finally thought i might be having a heart attack after 4 straight days of the heart palps that wouldn't stop. I also felt chest pain this morning so i went to the ER. After doing an EKG, hooking me up to a monitor and taking some blood tests. I was diagnosed with benign heart palpitations. The dr. recommended either a low dose beta blocker to see if that would stop the palps and/or xanax for anxiety. I actually got both prescriptions but  only got the xanax filled and took one pill (following the advice of my husband). needless to say it has done nothing for me. My heart is still the same and now all i feel is angry because once again these drs can't figure out what is wrong with me. I explained to the ER doc about having Hashi's etc and could this be a medication malfunction etc. he just stared at me blankly. I am so sick of dr's not knowing what to do for me. My GP did refer me to a endo but i can't be seen till Feb 15! i can not continue on like this. My life is going downhill fast. my marriage is falling apart, i' feel like  a bad mom to my 2 year old because i have zero energy and i'm losing touch with everyone I know. I'm angry all the time and am jealous of those that are healthy and living their lives happily. no one understands this and how i feel horrible day in and out with no end in sight. My husband was convinced i just needed anxiety pills - (this is even before i was diagnosed with Hashi's) my mom has said the same thing. these people have no idea what this feels like and just want to shove the wrong medication down my throat so they don't have to deal with me. i look like crap, i feel like crap - i can't even look at myself in the mirror anymore. i've been taking selenium and vitamin D and have cut all gluten out of my diet just to see if that might even help me out a little bit - so far nothing.
By the way - here are my blood test results 2 weeks ago  
TSH 1.93 (ref: 0.34-5.60)
Free T4 0.96 (ref 0.61-1.85)
Free T3 2.54 (1.75-4.25)
Anti thyroid peroxidase - 110.0 (ref 0-34)
Anti thyroglobulin AB 40.1 (ref 0-40)
I also tested positive for anti nuclear antibodies 1:80.  
I read on a few posts that lower Free's could indicate a pituitary gland problem? what tests are done for the pituitary? Does anyone think i might benefit from a T3 medication as well as the levo? I know i really probably need to see an endo but since i can't seem to get in anywhere till Feb at this point, i'd love some advice.
By the way - I also had my cortisol checked - 17.8 (ref 5.0-21.0)  

Also if anyone has a good referral for an endo in the los angeles area, i'd really appreciate it.  thanks for listening.
Both your FT3 and FT4 are too low.  It looks like you need to increase your meds.  Many of us don't feel well until our FT4 is somewhere mid-range and FT3 is in the upper half to third of the range.

No, low FT3 does not indicate a pituitary problem.  Low FT3 can indicate that your thyroid is not working properly (we already know that, right?).  If your FT4 is high, but your FT3 is low, it might indicate that you are a slow converter and need to add some T3 meds to your mix.  However, since both your FT3 and FT4 are low, I think an increase in T4 meds would help you to feel better.

I have a congenital heart defect that makes me prone to tachycardia/palps.  It was completely under control without meds until I started on levo.  Like you, when I suggested that I thought the meds were causing it, my doctor raised her little eyebrow and started glancing back and forth between my two heads!  I had to start taking a beta blocker in order to tolerate the meds at all, and I've found it to help tremendously.

Also, generic levo and the different brand names all use different fillers in their pills.  Sometimes, people have a problem with the fillers and switching brands or from generic to a brand eliminates some side effects.  Have you tried that?
Call your Primary Care Dr.  Get an appt. Switching you to armour may be worth a shot. A beta blocker would help with the palpitaions if it's ok for you to take them. You PCP can prescribe these medications without you having to wait until Feb. to see Endo. Also might I suggest seeing a counsellor. They are the best ones to diagnose or disprove a panic or anxiety disorder. They can also lend you some support. I understand not wanting to take a bunch of medication. I also know what it is like to feel bad all the time and have zero energy. Also, you might call the endo's office and see if they hae a cancellation list. Get yourself put on that list. You might be able to get in to see the endo earlier. Hope I am helping!
Oh joy can I relate to the No One around understanding what thyroid sufferers go through.  Many in my family have acted and even stated, its all in my head.  Imagine that.  I am to assume it made my eyes swell also. Ha Ha... Relax, knowledge is a very powerful thing.  Hashis is scary, so is graves disease.  One thing I have learned the hard way... We can not rush to a fast fix. Well you can, but we pay a price.  Take your time, make yourself as comfortable as you can until you can a Endo.  The diet is a good thing.  We should all watch what it is we are stuffing into our mouths. The energy thing you might want to try the amino acid L- Carnitine.  It will increase your energy and it is not harmful and can be purchased at any Health Food Store.  Try harder to get along with family members , this will reduce stress.  Control the stress and eat well, and read read... ask questions. I wish you the best of luck and hope the New Year brings about a cure for all of us.
I totally agree with goolarra's posting.
I think you should have your meds increased slowly...maybe 62.5mcg.
Ask your Doc if you can increase.

Also remember that Hyper symptoms can 'mimic' Hypo.
You can get anxiety, panic disorder, heart racing with BOTH hyper and Hypo.

Sometimes I couldnt tell the difference so I would go by my pulse...taking it 3-4 times a day for a couple of days to be sure. Under 80, I was heading Hypo...over 80 I was heading Hyper.

I hope that helps somewhat.
Take the beta-blocker, I just had to take a 10mg inderal for heart palpations and chest pains today and last night, it will help!  So sorry that you are going through this remember you are not alone we are all here for you!!
hi i just read your post,don't give up i no it's hard but it will get better,i no how your felling and it lousy,i went true all what your going true i have grave's hyper the pal's are terrible and was at e r many times thinking i was having a hart attack,get the beta blockers they will help all your symtoms (symptoms),and when u see endo he will give you right med,s it will take a week or two for them to kick in but they will,your not a bad mom i remmber thinking the same thing i have 3 kids 12,10 & a 2 year old i kept telling them when i get better i will make it up to them and i the hubby part is hard to but it will get better please cheer up i feel so bad for you,the girl's on this site are great so remmber your not alone xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx annmarie
Thanks for all your advice and support. I really appreciate it and this site is a godsend. I am going to see my GP on monday and see if he'll give me a slight increase in meds and see if i can do synthroid. I have read that most endo's prefer the brand drug over the generics in this case due to fillers etc. My last conversation with my doc was that he didn't want to increase my medication because according to him my blood tests are normal.That is why he referred me to the endo. because i've told him how crappy i still feel. Hopefully i can persuade him. I will also try to pester the endo's office and/or see if i can find another one.  My last question to all of you is - are any of you on an anti depressant? it's something i've been thinking about but am wondering if once i'm on the right medication all these awful feelings/thoughts will go away.  
Will dr's ever understand that my normal, might...just might be slightly different than someone else's normal?  Grrr!!! Doctors!!!!!  

Goolara I loved this quote from you "Like you, when I suggested that I thought the meds were causing it, my doctor raised her little eyebrow and started glancing back and forth between my two heads! "   I know just how that feels.  I actually took myself to the e room for the first time ever in my life, I took my self to emergency thinking that I was having a heart attack...I was sure it was from my meds and yep, I have two heads too.  
Hi. i just read your post and i think you should at least try the beta blocker. my haert use to go up to 160 bpm when i was first diagnosed with thyroid disease. since i been on bystolic i usually have 70bpm. now its not for everyone but if your dr suggested it , it should be ok to try it. im on celexa and it does nothing for my anxiety. and im on synthroid and i hope one day to have energy. i hope you feel better soon.