Thyroid Disorders Community
Stress?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Stress?

Do we have stress because our thyroid is messed up or does stress cause the thyroid to act up?  Which causes which?  Is there a way to prevent one from causing the other without medication or removing oneself to a deserted island?
I might have to vote for the deserted island, but that is an excellent question. I'd like to know the answer too. Thanks for posting it!
It like the age old saying....

"what came first........ the chicken or the egg?"

It's a catch 22 question asked. and there is no right answer, except putting ourselves in a stressful situation that our bodies can't deal 100% with is bad, regardless if 100% healthy or ill with thyroid disease ( or anything) for that matter.

There is prevention available - but it would take you as an adolescent to manage, and most of us in the boat we are in- never thought about thyroid disease as a possibility when we felt  "invincable" in our youth.

It is a 'catch 22' and Stella is right.
Stress aggravates thyroid problems and can also 'trigger' them.
I wouldnt go as far as to say it causes them as I believe that thyroid problems are from either antibodies or Cancer but the deserted island sounds good to me too (hehehe) lol.
Well, I already live on a little island though it isn't desert.  Its great being away from the hussle & bustle of city life.

I only asked about this because I have noticed that when I have an exceptionally busy day, high emotion day, or stressful day my symptoms are noticeably increased.  I'm truly not sure if this is thyroid related or simply my body dealing with the life that is handed to me.  Perhaps its just that since they discovered my thyroid being overactive, I am more noticable to how my body reacts to certain situations.

Oh, "the chicken and the egg" ... I know which came first :).
I would agree that it's a catch 22.  Stress can "trigger" or aggravate thyroid issues, but having the thyroid issues presents its very own kind of stress. There's first trying to get proper treatment, trying to deal with people who don't understand what we are going through, along with the whole process of trying to get well.  

Most days, I'd jump at the option of that deserted island........
Hey. I 'm the one who lives in cold - gloomy Wisconsin.....  ha ha

Barb is in sunny Florida

and kidandchicks says she is on some island....

I need to get on that island.    :)
I'm in sunny California, which some say could become an island with just the
right type of shaker! But that would be far from deserted.
Ok folks...tickets for sale for a trip to the ISLAND lol.
Dont all rush at once as the boat will sink lol :)
kidsnchicks...here we come! YAY!!! lol
Come on over!  Its small though, about a mile by 2 miles in size.  Its all residential except for one place that sells boat motors.  There is only one way on/off other than by boat.  Its nothing exotic though.  We're simply on the coast of GA.  The humidity would run you off :(.  Its quiet though.  See ya soon!