Last Thursday I had a subtotal Thyroidectomy and I asked my Doctor if I would be place on Thyroid medication. He said he wanted to wait on my pathology reports. Is there a reason for this and why he would wait to have me placed on thyroid medication? I have low thyroid and my thyroid was very enlarged causing voice change. I felt a major change in energy today and am beyond tired and my skin is now so dry.
Do you know what your actual thyroid hormone levels are? That would be Free T3 and Free T4. If you have results, please post them, along with the reference ranges.
I take it you've been hypo for a while? Were you on thyroid medication prior to the surgery? Have you been diagnosed with an autoimmune thyroid disease - Hashimoto's or Graves?
Was there any suggestion that you might have had cancer? Do you know how much of your thyroid gland remains? Did your doctor indicate if he thought the remainder of your thyroid would produce adequate hormones?
Is this an endo or a surgeon? Many surgeons only do the actual surgery, itself, then leave dosing to either your endo or pcp.
Sorry to ask so many questions, but the more info we can get, the better.
If your doctor did blood work for the Free T3 and Free T4, he would want to get results back, in order to know what your levels are.. If he didn't do those tests, I'd have to ask "why not?", because he will need them for dosing purposes.
If he doesn't test them, at all, you may end up having to find a different doctor.
No your questions are welcomed. I was not on or an currently on medication. I have have symptoms of low thyroid even though by blood test came in range with my endo. I am not sure what those results where since I didn't have the best endo. I had my thyroid removed due to enlargement and nodules and cancer is suspected. The doctor I am referring to is the surgeon. I had all of my left thyroid removed and most of the right side of the thyroid removed. Because my endo just found my T3-T4 in range just sent me to the surgeon to have the enlargement of my thyroid removed and he felt it for a moment and after 2 ultrasounds since my nodules were to small to biop, he just went ahead with surgery, I have been hypo for at least over a year. 2-3 periods a month dry skin hair lose and with the enlarged thyroid horse voice sweating and cold also. I did ask prior to leaving the hospital if I would be place on meds ( I asked the surgeon) he said he wanted to wait till the pathology reports came back. But now I am back to sweating again one moment then freezing cold the next. I was reading if I do have cancer in the remaining thyroid I may have to have A. another surgery :( or B. a different type of medication. WIth 20% of thyroid left I do not think that this will allow my thyroid to function properly?
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.