Thyroid Disorders Community
Sweating, no sleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Sweating, no sleep

Now 12 days on levo. I'm sweating at 1:30 am, can't sleep.
I tried one day returning to Armour, no sweating.

I've never had a hot flash during menopause.....have you heard of this.
Will call md in the morning.
Called Dr, nurse told me night sweats are a side effect of levothyroxine, I may have to return to Armour.
She will talk to Dr, till then back on Armour 30 mg.
Slept great last night!
I had those sweats when I was very hypo.   I'd wake up 2-3 times during the night and sometimes even have to get up and change clothes because I'd be soaked.  I'm no longer hypo and I rarely wake up in the night anymore.  I was also running on "adrenaline overload".

Side effects of Levo would be hyperthyroidism.  What are your current blood test results, with reference ranges?
These are the test results prior to taking Levo, on April 9th.
FT 4   1.2     (0.8 - 1.9)

T3     1.2     (0.8- 1.8)

TSH   1.630    (0.400-4.000)

Another person on the board said that didn't seem right, but that is what the test says and the next test isn't until May 22.

At the time of the April test, I was on Armour  30mg, which is what I'm back on today.
I recognize those results and I'm probably the one who told you they don't look right.  If you verified that's what's on the lab sheet, I'd recommend that you contact the lab or doctor's office to make sure there wasn't a typo.  

First off, I've never a T3 result or a reference range like that, and secondly, it's extremely odd that there would be the same result for both FT4 and T3, with almost identical ranges.  

Your FT4 is quite low in the range, indicating hypo.  I can't comment on the T3, because, while I believe that's what's on your lab report, I don't think it's accurate.   I will say, though, that instead of T3, which is total T3, you should be getting tested for Free T3 (FT3)

I talked to the nurse, she said the test were not a typo, just because they are similiar,  They are in range.

However since I had a reaction to Levo and with Armour I started have hair loss, my MD is sending me to a specialist on May 20.
Guess I stay on my old Armour 30 MG until I see the specialist.

I have a blood test, on May 22....so he will have the most recent results.
till then, I'm off gluten !!   Any thing else I can do ??

Hope he is worth while.......
The only thing that adds up on that result and range is if it is total T3 and it is expressed in ng/ml.
the above tests are expressed in ng/ml

I didn't know there was another way?  
I guess I'm in range, but still have hair loss and brittle nails.
Seeing an endo on May 31 st
Being an Endo doesn't guarantee a good thyroid doctor.  By that I mean one that will treat you clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.   Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results, and especially not just TSH.  

Rather than waiting until 5/31 and possibly finding out that the Endo is not a good thyroid doctor, you might consider calling and asking to speak with a nurse and then asking two questions.  First, is the doctor willing to treat clinically, as described, by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms?   Second, is the doctor willing to prescribe T3 type meds?  If either answer is no, I'd cancel the appointment.  Why waste your time there?

So, now we know for sure that the T3 result was Total T3, not Free T3.  You really need to know Free T3, along with Free T4, because Free T3 largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions.  Scientific studies ahve shown Free T3 correlated best with hypo symptoms, while Free T4 and TSH did not correlate at all.  Therefore you need to make sure to be tested for Free T3 and Free T4 each time you go in for tests.  If anyone resists, just insist and don't take no for an answer.  

Also, realize that being just anywhere within the ranges does not assure that is adequate for you.  The ranges are far too broad because of the way they are established, plus each patient is different and may need different levels of thyroid hormone.  That is why clinical treatment is most effective.  Both your Total T3 and Free T4 levels are below the middle of their ranges.  If your Free T3 shows the same pattern, that is frequently associated with having hypo symptoms.

So, as I see it, you need to find a good thyroid doctor.  You need to be tested for Free T3 and Free T4.  And I suggest that since hypo patients are often too low in the ranges for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin, you should also be tested for those as well.

When those results are available, please get a copy of the lab report and post results and their reference ranges, and members will be glad to help interpret and advise further.  Also, if you would like, perhaps a member could recommend a good thyroid doctor that is in your general area.
Thank You, I have printed out the information.
In looking up my test history, from Ohio
In 2010, my T3Free was 3.5

In 2011 T3 Free was 2.5, I was on Armour 30 mg at that time also.

I will be sure the Free T3 and Free T4 are done on May 22nd.
This Fla endo is very highly recommended, he is suppose to be very flexible, easy to talk to.

My Vit D is good -  I take supplements
Ferritin was 42 last year, now it is OK, I take iron in a Multi Vit. also take B 12
The Dermotologist called me this morning... (went to her for the hair loss)
She said my ANA is high.........meaning an autoimmune, she knows I have Hashimotos, this could be Lupus.

Will check this out with Endo.

Does anyone know a good thyroid Doctor in Stuart- Port St Lucie Fla?  
What is your actual ferritin level?  Also B12?  How about your Vitamin D level?
Ohio doctor took Vit D
....Last two tests from him:
52.8    and   47.2   He told me to take more Vit  D

Iron was 42  (low) I know take Multi vit with iron

Fla new doctor said my iron was OK
However HCT test was 37.1   low
I have No Vit B12 results....will request that on May 22

Other results:

WBC     3.7   low
K+ potassium   33 high
CO2    33 high
TBIL Bilirubin   1.6  high
Chol  240 high
LDLC    164  high

I will have more input on future tests.

thanks for any help!