Thyroid Disorders Community
Synthroid Timing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Synthroid Timing

When the instructions say to take Synthroid on an empty stomach and hour before breakfast, does that mean no coffee for an hour also?
Yes, that means NO coffee either!  I can't stress enough how important it is to take it on an EMPTY stomach.  Meaning, absolutely nothing but water should be taken with Synthroid.  I take it faithfully every morning on an empty stomach with two glasses of water and then eat an hour after.  It is also important that you take it every day at the same time!  Its not as effective when you don't take it as prescribed.  I have been taking it for almost 18 years.  My body is very sensitive and I know when my medication was not as effective due to eating too soon, or not taking it at the same time that i normally do.  My side effects begin right away.  On the weekends, I have a glass of water next to my bed with a synthroid and i set my alarm on my cell to take it. Its very important that you do as the instructions say.
You're absolutely right...the rule is to take it on an empty stomach and not eat or drink anything for half to one hour after.  However, some rules are meant to be broken, no?  I'm in this thyroid game for life (aren't we all?), and I decided right from the beginning that for me (no absorption problems), I'd rather have my coffee when I want it and if that meant taking a little more levo to compensate, so what?  I take my levo, then immediately have my coffee.  The key is consistency.  I do this EVERY morning.  Compared to some foods (fiber, e.g.), coffee interferes very little with absorption.  Of course, if you're not consistent, you will affect your daily absorption to some extent and could possibly feel the fluctuations.  Also, if you do have absorption problems due to a gut issue, it would be best to play by the rules.

how long can u go w/o synthyo b4 u feels the lack? which is best: synthy, amour, or levo?
I had a TT so must take Synthroid every day.   I am an early riser and have to eat/have coffee fairly soon after I get up.  My dr had said to allow 30minutes to an hour before you eat food/beverages with 30 minutes being the min.  No way I can wait an hour.  Tried it and it was a disaster.  So I take the pill, take a shower and by the time I'm through cooking breakfast 30 minutes has passed.  The main thing is consistency.  I had to bump up my synthroid just a little so that I could keep this routine but it works and I'm fine.  And yes, sometimes I cheat and have a cup of coffee w/in the 30 minutes but I've had no issues.