Synthroid Vs. levothyroxine
How many of you out there are taking Synthroid everyday for their thyroid disorders? How many on Levothyroxine? Notice any difference between the two?  

12
1. Synthroid

7
2. levothyroxine

1
3. Other

1
4. name other
I've taken Levoxyl, Levothyroxine and Synthroid. Didn't notice a difference. But then, that was back when I was taking the meds for hypo and I didn't have the faintest idea what "Hypo" was.  Had no clue about symptoms therefore I didn't have any. Ignorance was bliss.
I used to tale levothyroxine, now I take Synthroid and Armour. I could feel a difference, I feel much better.

Honestly, I think you mean to poll whether someone is on a brand name vs. a generic.

Synthroid is levothyroxine; so really your first two choices are the same thing.

All synthetic replacement hormone meds are called levothyroxine.  From there it breaks down to generic levothyroxines and brand named levothyroxines.  One of those brands is called Synthroid.  Some other brands are Levoxyl; Levothroid; Unithroid.

I hope you don’t think I’m jumping on your case.  It is all…like stupid confusing.

Anyway, to answer you poll, I take the brand Levoxyl.  Of your choices, that would put me in the same category as Synthroid.  My dr recommended I be on a synthetic med that is a brand.  Due to my insurance I chose Levoxyl.  So far, I don’t have many issues with it.

Take care.
I've only been taking thyroid med since June and only synthroid because my dr won't consider anything else!!
My son has been on Synthroid since birth.  When kids are little, they learn to chew the pills, and the taste is obviously familiar.  When we moved to the states, the pediatrician did not specify Synthroid on his prescription, and we received a generic.  My son did not like the taste, and he didn't feel well for a few days (I think he was about 6).  I had the doctor write a prescription for Synthroid, and all was ok.  Shortly thereafter, I was (coincidentally?) sitting in my GP waiting room next to a Synthroid drug rep.  I explained my son's experience, and she told me that the binders in the generics are different, and this not only causes it to taste different, but they have determined that effectiveness is different for former Synthroid users.  Of course she was motivated to promote Synthroid, but that did reflect our experience.  Just an FYI...
I have only taken synthroid.  Cant compare the others
Only been on synthroid .. finding the right dose is key for me.  and then it works fine.
Currently generic.  Levothyroxine.  Synthroid caused MANY problems for me... Joint pain/arthritis and bloating were the primary problems.
Just wanted to see who was doing what. Was told that my synthroid was most likely causing my problems. All I do know is that I am not doing as well when dose was lowered. No difference with brand or generic, I've had both. One doesn't make me feel better than the other. Was told to watch out for bad generics making there way through our pharmacy's. My question was really was geared toward generics, sorry for the confusion. Just didn't experience anything different, to me they are all the same. Kind of thinking that it may be my change in the dose I'm taking.
In Australia we don't get a choice..it's either Eutoxsig or Oroxine..the latter being the generic of the former....which is made by the same company...you might find a few on Armour here but it is quite rare to have that here.
ooops I meant Eutroxsig
Another Aussie here - I had my TT on Jan 17 2006 & up until 2 months ago I had been on varying doses of synthetic T4 (eutroxsig/oroxine). I'm now on Natural Thyroid Extract (NTE) - similar to 'Armour', still fine tuning, early days.
Sorry guys.........brain fogs' bad today - derr - I had my TT in '07 not '06 as stated above. Me thinks I need a strong coffee. ROFLMAO  : )
That would be great if a generic turns out to be the answer for you.  Because it's much cheaper, for one thing.

I hope everything works out well for you.

Keep giving updates.
I have been told by my doc, that the federal standards of a generic med only need to meet 80percent of the original drug ingredients.  That is why some people may not feel the same on a generic med vs brand name.

I feel a difference better difference with synthroid.  Other meds, I tolerate generics:)
I noticed a difference between the two. I am on synthroid and doing better.                                        
I am 35 years old, male and I recently was diagnosed with  hypothyroidism.  I have not expereinced any symstom as it is described, but ever since my MD gave me the news I am out of whack and do not know if I am just tired of is this thing...hypothyroidism. I am very active, I run 5-7 miles 3 x a week, I work and I do everythign a 35 years old man would do and then  this thing.  I know it is not a serious illness, but nevertheless, no one wants an illness and yet be in a medication regimen for the rest of life. I am holding my jar of med, I have not taken it yet, I am having another blood test next week just as a 2nd opinion. But my question is  what is like to have hypothyroidism and the ups and downs of being of a medication regimen. I see for people here are women, are any man out there with hypothyroidism...What one is like with hypothyroidism. Thanks.
Hello Runner714,
I too am a runner and was just recently diagnosed in Feb. 2011 with having hypo, too.
I found out when I was training for my first half marathon.  I won't lie... I was very upset... I thought the world was going to end.  I started a blog and posted it on FB and found that so many of my friends have been diagnosed with some sort of thyroid problem and it was more common than I thought.  No one wants to take meds for the rest of their life, but I figured if I take vitamins... whats the difference.
After starting to take my medications, I started to feel so much better.  My stomach stopped hurting and it's wonderful!  It does take a bit to find the balance, but it's worth it.
I had gained about 20 lbs, due to the hypo and not that i'm on meds... the lbs. have simply fallen off!  Having my body back in order feels great!  
Take the meds and know that you will be ok :)
Excellent Clarification!!  I take brand synthroid and do very well post thyroid cancer.  They did try some other opitions and my TSH did not respond favorably.  Just saying for me there is a difference between brands as well as generics. My sister-in-law uses a USA generic and says it works fine but does not take it every day or get her blood checked due to lack of insurance so it's touch to say whether the generic is effective or not.  My husband on the other hand follows similar reactions with meds as his sister, however in the case of synthroid my husband requires brand synthroid to get his blood level to normal.  This was found after much trial and error and painstaking bad symptoms (including developing high blood pressure)as the doc believed there was no difference in the brand vs. generic and said my husband was otherwise healthy so generic should be fine.   He kept saying my husband was too fat (6'1" 240 pounds) and that eventually the generic would work.  After 3 years and an additional 50 pound weight gain the doctor prescribed the brand synthroid in the exact same dose as he was taking in generic.  My husbands blood pressure came down within a week of starting brand synthroid. What I am saying here is that metabolically the thyroid affects the body in many ways as usually I don't think it's common to have such an effect on developing high blood pressure with generic and have it cease with the brand synthroid. Also, the blood pressure went up before the extra 50 pounds then decreased before he lost the weight, so just to clarify the blood pressure was not a weight issue per se.  And, within 4 months my husband lost the 50 pounds and his thyroid blood level is normal now.
I have used levothyroxine for over twenty years.  And now I am starting to understand my ups and downs with it.  I watched Dr. Oz today and he said that generics may only be 80% or 125%.  This is large difference when taking a hormone.  Synthyroid is very precise FDA ruled prescription.  Has anyone developed osteoporosis and did you know this was a possible side effect.
I saw the Dr oz show and figured out that is probably why my thyroid is up and down. I am probably going to change to synthroid. My doctor wanted me to go on levoxyl  my heart races on that. I know there are some chemicals that hurt your thyroid. One is Tricloscan in toothpaste, fruit of loom underwear and many more. You should check it out. Loony56
I actually did better on generic levo than I did on synthroid.  You can't believe everything you hear on Dr Oz.  All manufacturers are held to pretty strict tolerances for their meds and they all have some leeway, including synthroid.  From what I've read, there have been more recalls of synthroid than there have been of all the generics combined.

You don't get osteoporosis from the thyroid medication, per se or from low TSH levels. You get it from maintaining too high Free T3 levels, which result from over medication.

While some people do better on synthroid, many do equally well on generic levo.

Levoxyl has been temporarily recalled from pharmacies, so I wouldn't recommend getting a script for that.

i have been on levoxyl for 8 years and the recall is killing me. switched to synthroid and HATE it. coughing, shakes and anexiety, trouble sleeping, and hot flashes galore. been on 2 different strenghts and both cause these symptoms. never had trouble before. i want my levo back please.
Talk to your doctor and see if you can try generic levothyroxine.  You, like me, might do better on it than with synthroid.  But do be aware that it takes 4-6 weeks to adjust to a new medication/dosage, and during the adjustment process, symptoms may worsen, or new ones begin.
How long have you been taking it?
Thypatient is no longer active on the forum.
Also meant to say this thread was started in 2008... you can start a new one of you own, if you like, by clicking the orange Post a Question button at the top of the page, type your questions/comments, then click the green Post a Comment button.

I'm also now on Levoxyl... switched to it, from Tirosint, in August and I'm doing well on it.
Levothyroxine has caused my thyroid level to drop below the low end of normal. We have switched to Synthroid it is starting to come up.
What thyroid level has dropped below the low end of normal?  Are you referring to TSH?  That's not a thyroid level... that's a pituitary hormone.  You should also be getting tested for Free T3 and Free T4 whenever you have a TSH... Free T3 and Free T4 are the actual thyroid hormones.

My TSH stays very low all the time; it's not a problem.  It shouldn't be for you, either, unless you have symptoms of over medication.
Got the diagnosis that I had an underactive thyroid.  2nd opinion confirmed and prescription was given.  Had it filled a Walmart and they gave me a generic for Synthroid just called levothyroxine 25mcg TAB SAN.  Didn't like the smell or taste but it worked and my thyroid levels returned to normal.  Now my insurance says that I need to have the prescription sent in to them for filling and they will no longer approve the local pharmacy filling.  Ok, so I had my MD send the script to them and they send me Synthroid which is different from what I have been taking for 3 months. I'm concerned about the differences in the 2 and not sure I want to change.  
I had thyroid removed and was put on levothyroxine. Hard time getting right TSH levels to stay consistent. Constantly changing dosage. Is it due to generic? I do have problems with some generics, I guess due to the binders?
Synthroid is the brand name of the drug and most doctors consider it the "gold standard" in treating hypothyroidism.  Many will not prescribe anything else.  On the other hand, it's more expensive than the generic levothyroxine, so most insurance companies want their clients to take the generic...

The only difference between the medications are the manufacturers and the fillers and dyes.  Some people, including doctors or pharmacists will tell you that generic are inconsistent between batches and that you won't do well on them... The fact is, there have been more recalls for Synthroid than there have been for any generics over the years...

Some people do very well on generics, some people do best on Synthroid.  We've had some people who have reactions to the fillers/binders or dye in the medications from one manufacturer, but if they switch to that of another manufacturer, they won't have the issue.

We find that many of our members do very well on Levoxyl, which is another brand of levothyroxine.  Some also do well on Tirosint, which is a gel cap and is hypoallergenic as it has no fillers/binders or dyes.  From my experience, having been on Tirosint for 5 yrs, many/most insurance companies will not cover Tirosint, but they do (or at least did - you'd have to check it out) have a program in which med could be gotten for free for qualifying patients.  If you don't qualify for the free med, which I did not, you may be able to get a $10 off coupon from the company.
Hmmm - I wrote another comment that didn't post... so I'll do this and we'll see if the first one shows up, somewhere along the line...

If you're constantly adjusting your medication, it's not because of the medication; it's because you're trying to adjust based only on the TSH, which is very volatile and is affected by many variables, other than TSH.  

Your doctor should also be testing Free T3 and Free T4, which are the actual thyroid hormones.   Your dosage should be based on your actual thyroid hormone levels vs your TSH level.
Okay, there you go - lest everyone thing I'm losing my mind, both of my comments showed up, when I posted the second one... not sure what's going on here, but this happened last night, as well on a different thread.
I've been taking Armour (natural pork thyroid hormone) for over 3 years. I've had three different doctors try to put me on Levothyroxine before trying Armour, and I couldn't tolerate it.  It made me feel much worse. That is the case for a small percentage of the population, according to my doctor. Doctors don't like to use Armour because it contain T4 and T3 which makes the dosage less predictable/stable, and it is not the bio-equivalent of human thyroid hormone. I have been told by my doctor that some people do better on brand name vs. generic Synthroid.
Anyone have a persistent cough? I've had one for years and docs haven't found cause. Mostly dry, hacking type. Just wondering if levothyroxin can cause it.
I've always had a cough (like a tickle as the best way to describe it) the entire time on was on both name brand Synthroid and generic levothyroxine. I tried WP Thyroid for 6 week trial and it disappeared along with the nagging symptoms. My doc didn't like my T3 numbers and switched me back to levothyroxine with 5mg of cytomel (T3 drug) despite feeling more normal. Within 2 days of being back on levothyroxine, the cough returned, the fatigue, the brain fog, the insomnia, etc.

I went back on WP Thyroid after the 6 weeks on levo with cytomel and bitterly complained the my doc's PA that I refuse to be on synthetic crap ever again. I didn't need to be switched off of NDT when my symptoms were improving. My doc should have tapered back the dosage on the NDT if she felt the T3 was too high.

I get retested later this month for TSH, Free T4, Free T3, B12, Ferritin, Vit D and CBC. This should be the final adjustment for awhile before going back to biannual testing.