Thyroid Disorders Community
Synthroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Synthroid

I have taken synthroid for over 30 years. My levels are normal. If I stopped taking the medication would it be dangerous?
Why are you hypothyroid?

You do realize your levels are normal because you are TAKING the medication, right? (ie if you stop they will no longer be normal)

Why are you considering stopping the med?
I was initially diagnosed hypothyroid based on blood tests following a doctor exam that felt small nodules on my thyroid (which are now gone) and was put on thyroid medication over 20 years ago.  I feel like I am on too many meds and someone told me that if my thyroid level was normal for a long time now I could try going off the synthroid and it might be OK. Someone else told me that after 3 weeks I would have very dangerous side effects and should not stop the medication.   I just don't want to take an medications I do not need to take.
Since you have a thyroid, and its been on the mediction (medication) for so long its going to be sluggish to respond to the drop in hormone. I t might take it a bit to ramp back up to full production IF you have gone into remission.

Going hypo again is going to be a slow process, you will notice the symptoms slowly. Tiredness, skin /hair changes etc. Labs will tell you whats up.

If your doc agrees to it (and will have labs drawn in 4 weeks) then go for it. I think the worse that will happen is your gunna feel like crud till you labs show your hypo and you have to restart the medication.

I would definitly do this under a doctors suprvision.
Thanks for the input. My doctor doesn't want me to stop. I am seeing him again next week and will go through it with him again when I see him.

I developed serious medical problems about 4 years ago  and have seen a lot of specialists. They are not of one mind on my condition and I guess I am at the point where I am trying to take control of my own health before they drive me insane. There are always medications that they want me to try and lately I have been stopping medications that do not seem to have any effect but which they don't take me off of, even when it is not working.

My primary physician has taken over the doc wrangling and I suppose I know I should leave the synthroid alone but needed someone to tell me (and you did it in the nicest possible way) I was being a bit crazy. I won't do anything unless he is on board.

Thank You.