TSH Numbers on blood test & what they mean
Hi:  I'm a 59 year old woman. I had a hysterectomy several years ago. Recently I had some blood work done. The "old people's profile" of cholesterol & such. I also requested a thyroid test. The TSH number came back at 9.44 and the paper indicates this is high as a normal level is: 0.34-5.60. I have been suffering fatique and have trouble sleeping. Does this have something to do with these symtoms? Is it an alarming number and should I consult with my Doctor? Thank You for your help.
You should consult with your doctor and have him run the TSH again, along with you FREE T4 and FREE T3 so you can possibly get a clear picture of what is happening.  I would also suggest that he run a TPO antibody and TG antibody.
Hi, Yes your symptoms will be caused by that high TSH, I get symptoms at 5 which I hate nevermind 10! And you should get all the tests that mommy2two has advised. Also, you should ask your doc about starting meds if you aren't already on them.
Thanks for your help and input. I guess I better consult with my Doc. Janey 1949
Thanks for your suggestions. I guess I better consult with my Doc. If I can find the strength to drag myself to his office after work that is. Ha!   Janey1949
Janey - you're welcome dear - that's what we're here for!!!  Wish my labs WERE off to finally tell me what is wrong!  Good luck!  The TSH again with the other testing will tell the doc if your thyroid numbers are just a transient thing or if this is going to be ongoing.  There are some forms of thyroiditis that are temparary so.... best of luck.  Also, you may suggest to the doc a thyroid ultrasound to determine if you have any abnormality in the gland itself since its not only a numbers game.  Sometimes (like in my case) the numbers are fine across the board, but there is swelling or other abnormalities present.  The doc still has not given my thing a name after 8 months, but then my bloodwork is fine.  Let us know how it goes!