Thyroid Disorders Community
TSH level & menstration

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

TSH level & menstration

Can a woman's TSH level be different during her menstrual cycle than it is the rest of the month? I know there are different reference ranges for pregnancy, but I've never heard anything about menstruation.

Before my partial thyroidectomy in March, my TSH was 0.72. When I was on Synthroid post-op, it was 0.12. This week, without being on meds for a month, it was 2.44.

My doc is not concerned since I am symptom free and still within normal range. But since it is so far from my pre-op levels, I was looking for a possible explanation. Could the fact that only this week's test was done during my cycle have made a difference?
HUH ? WHAT ?? NOT CONCERNED ?

I'd say that your other half of your thyroid is not functioning properly .. it happens to 20% of the people who have partials done.  BUT I am NOT a Dr., just a patient like yourself who had a partial and ended up on Synthroid not only for cancer supression but the other side never began working again!

I guess if you are symptom free then it is ok .. but I'd still be checked often to see where that really levels off .

i don't know the technical answer of the levels during menstruation.

I'd insist on followup labs ev. 6 weeks for awhile.

C~
Just double checked. The numbers are 2.66 TSH and 0.97 Free T4.
Since I have had thyroid problems for more than 30 years I can definitely tell you that thyroid levels, and size are directly linked to the menstrual cycle. You should have all levels checked between ovulation ( a few days after) and your period or a few days after your period.
Thanks. I will definitely work on my timing next time my bloodwork is drawn.

- viv