TSH level & menstration
Can a woman's TSH level be different during her menstrual cycle than it is the rest of the month? I know there are different reference ranges for pregnancy, but I've never heard anything about menstruation.

Before my partial thyroidectomy in March, my TSH was 0.72. When I was on Synthroid post-op, it was 0.12. This week, without being on meds for a month, it was 2.44.

My doc is not concerned since I am symptom free and still within normal range. But since it is so far from my pre-op levels, I was looking for a possible explanation. Could the fact that only this week's test was done during my cycle have made a difference?
HUH ? WHAT ?? NOT CONCERNED ?

I'd say that your other half of your thyroid is not functioning properly .. it happens to 20% of the people who have partials done.  BUT I am NOT a Dr., just a patient like yourself who had a partial and ended up on Synthroid not only for cancer supression but the other side never began working again!

I guess if you are symptom free then it is ok .. but I'd still be checked often to see where that really levels off .

i don't know the technical answer of the levels during menstruation.

I'd insist on followup labs ev. 6 weeks for awhile.

C~
Just double checked. The numbers are 2.66 TSH and 0.97 Free T4.
Since I have had thyroid problems for more than 30 years I can definitely tell you that thyroid levels, and size are directly linked to the menstrual cycle. You should have all levels checked between ovulation ( a few days after) and your period or a few days after your period.
Thanks. I will definitely work on my timing next time my bloodwork is drawn.

- viv