Thyroid Disorders Community
TSH over 550 (Hypothyroidism). Anybody with related case?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hi all,
I had TSH level 453.2 the first time and over 500 the second time. Doctors and  my biology teachers were astounded looking at the fact i don't feel any symptoms. I dont know what to conclude, my teacher says i probably have a mutation. My dad has thyroid; probably genetic. But According to my prof, i should not be alive. Now i am on 100 mg levothyroxine medication. Anybody with related case?

PS: I am 20 male.  
I've seen other posts in the past from others whose TSH was very high (around 300). It can be very dangerous if left untreated due to the fact that this indicates hypothyroidism. We all need our thyroid hormone to survive, whether it's by the funtioning Thyroid Gland or through Thyroid Hormone med's. Have you had any other thyroid labs done??
From Thyroid Australia - "The level of TSH can be elevated several hundred fold in severe primary hypothyroidism." I've never heard of severe primary hypothyroidism with no symptoms.  Free T3 and free T4 should be ordered at the very least along with the TSH.

Causes of falsely high TSH include laboratory technical problems, especially with the washing step; any interfering substance eg: heterophilic antibodies, human anti-mouse antibody (HAMA); macro TSH (TSH of high molecular weight).
A TSH that high, with no symptoms, is very unusual.  I agree that you should have FREE T3 and FREE T4 tested immediately.  Be sure to request FREE since there are also total T3 and total T4 tests that are not nearly as useful.  TSH can be affected by any number of variables in the thyroid/hypothalamus/pituitary axis.  So, it is at best a screening tool to be considered only after FT3, FT4 and symptoms are evaluated.  
Just a thyroid ultrasound! :/ Is there anything else i should look into?
They did it twice. :/ But yeah i show no symptoms.
This whole thing so bizarre. I will surely get my free T3 and T4 done. Thanks everyone
Let us know what you find out about your FT3 and FT4.  Good luck...
My daughter, who was 12 at the time and is now 14, had a TSH of over 500 with no symptoms. She was referred to a pediatric endochronoligist, who verified the level with an ultrasound, which showed that her thyroid had pretty well just become dead tissue. (There is a history of thyroid disease on both sides of her family.)
I believe I read somewhere that the younger you are the less symptomatic you may be even with elevated TSH. Especially if it is in the early stages.

From what I remember it has to with the thyroid being able to withstand the TSH signal better in younger individuals and that their adrenal response may be making up for any decrease that may be initially evident…. Basically the younger you are the more the rest of your body can compensate. Although, I’m guessing with a level that high, that compensation will be short lived!
Be aware that TSH causes NO symptoms in and of itself.  TSH is nothing but a signal from the pituitary to the thyroid to tell it to produce more T4.  It's low FT4 and FT3 levels that cause symptoms.

Adrenals often do take over and try to compensate for inadequate thyroid hormones (in adults as well).  The problem is that the adrenals often burn out doing that (adrenal fatigue), and adrenal insufficiency often wreaks havoc with taking thyroid meds.  The adrenal problem usually has to be addressed first.