Thyroid Disorders Community
Tests have come back normal for 5 years but something is NOT Normal!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Okay so for the past 5 years I have felt awful....tired, achy hips, back, knees, feet, shoulders, depressed, foggy, exhausted and waking up all night and have leg and body cramps and weight gain.  I have had at least 4 tyhyroid blood tests but they have all come back in the "normal range".  Most of my physicians chalked it up to perimenopause.  Then, I developed asthma really bad and then was finally  given the sleep study I had been asking for for 5 years!  Now, as of 3 weeks ago (when my friend noticed that there was a bump on my neck) I have been diagnosed with a nodule that is 1x.7x.5 on the left side.  The tests still say that nothing is wrong except for a slightly low vitamin D range.  I am awaiting an appt now with a Endocrinologist.  How can I have so many symptoms of possilbe hypothyroidism and the medical field treats me like I am crazy.  I have been feeling like maybe this is what 49 years feels like!  I can't seem to get around and play with my 5 year old. I am always winded and tired.  What should I be looking for with this appointment.  My regular GP just wanted to watch the nodule and have me come back in 6 months!  I told her under no circumstances was I going  to allow a growth to continue to grow.  Now, I am looking at having a FNA.  Please tell me that what I am experiencing is not a figment of my imagination!  Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.
Check out the video: "Four Ways To Diagnose Hypothyroidism - Dr. Hotze's - Health & Wellness Solutions"
Please post recent thyroid tests results with reference ranges.  When we see those, we can give you more suggestions on how to approach your new doctor.

Also, please post your vitamin D result.

Have you had thyroid antibody tests to determine if you have autoimmune thyroid disease?

Thyroid nodules are very common.  The rule of thumb is that FNA is rarely ordered for any nodule less that 1 cm.  Yours is only that big in one dimension, so a "watch and wait" approach is customary if the ultrasound doesn't have any suspicious findings.  The problem with doing FNA on a smaller nodule is that it's both harder to hit and harder to get enough cells from to get a conclusive result.  Also, nodules come and go, so when they are small, they are often just watched for significant changes.

Thanks Red_Star,

I watched the video and it was very informative.  Thanks!  Lots to think about.  I think I will journal how I feel and the times and symptoms so that when I go to my Endo Dr on the 23rd I can fully express how I feel.  Sometimes I forget to cover everything I have been experiencing.
I will need to contact the my GP and request the test results.  They just stated to me they were normal range except for the D but didn't give me exact measurements.

I will post once I find out.

Thanks for the suggestions.