Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid Disease and High Cholesterol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid Disease and High Cholesterol

My last lab work showed that I have elevated LDL levels.  He didn't prescribe medication yet, but gave me a food guide to go by first.  Anyone else have elevated cholesterol?  If so, have you had success with diet and exercise vs. medication?
My cholesterol is slowly creeping upward...but so far, the two doctors I've been to haven't even so much as blinked at the results (it went from 127 to 133 in a timespan of 10 days--range: < 130 is desirable--and I'm only 22!!!). My total cholesterol is also slowly increasing, and has reached 197 (desired range: < 200). I haven't tried anything special yet, but I've read articles online that have said this is a symptom of thyroid disease and until the thyroid is "fixed" or treated, there isn't much I can do to prevent my cholesterol from continuing to soar.

Good luck, and let me know if anything works for you. I'm just trying to eat fruits and vegetables and stay away from junk food for the time being.
Thanks!  My total cholesterol is 209.  My LDL is 139 (shouldn't be over 130.  I'll have my labs checked again in a couple of weeks.  Eating more fruits and vegetables.  We'll see what happens.

I have read that the cholesterol can be "off" until the thyroid is leveled out.  My liver enzymes were elevated too.  They have come back into a normal range.
That's good to hear (about your liver enzymes)! Hopefully, your cholesterol will do the same thing. My liver enzymes were on the lower end, if I recall correctly, but still within the normal range. My BUN was fairly low, though, as was my urine pH (still within the normal range, though). I'm not sure if any of this is significant, though...but the cholesterol was definitely a red flag for me, even if the doctors didn't think so. Keep monitoring it every few weeks, and if it starts to get really high, then I would definitely insist that it be fixed by treating your thyroid problem (if you aren't already taken some sort of medication). It'd be really dangerous, otherwise. I'm going to try to keep an eye on mine as often as I can, but most of the GPs I go to don't know much about thyroid disease, and I can't get to an endo until October, so convincing the GPs to order more bloodwork to monitor things like my cholesterol might be a nightmare.....
I see an Endo every 4 weeks.  He keeps very close tabs on me.  He started me on a "diabetic diet".  I have my cholesterol checked again this month.  Though I only need to lose about 15 pounds, think that will help lower my cholesterol.  He "tweaks" my medicine every time my thyroid levels change.  He's a very good doctor.
I recently had blood work done and of course my TSH is normal and everything came back okay except for the cholesterol. I have been fighting that my thyroid is the culprit. Dr. said no you eat bad. I quickly corrected him with no I exercise daily 40-60 minutes and eat low fat for 6 years. Last year I gained 40 pounds a month before my gallbladder went on the fritz. He said "Weight gain is not a symptom of gallbladder" (clearly exterme weight loss or gain is a symptom. Why do I pay this doctor) So I have been working diligently to get that pesky 40 pounds off to get back to 135 pounds but nothing is working. He refused to do any other tests for thyroid my cholesterol was high because I am a pig (not actual words but it was assumed) he said. So he told me to exercise MORE and cut MORE calories. So i exercise an hour each day and got even more low fat and went from 1100 calories to 800 if nothing changes by december im going to make him eat his blood work haha.

I also schedualed an appointment with an endocrinologist.
With your symptoms and history, I think you will enjoy reading this article.  Perhaps a copy for your doctor might change his approach to treating you, not your TSH.

http://www.hormonerestoration.com/Thyroid.html