Thyroid Disorders Community
Tiredness ,lethargy after partial thyroidectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I had a partial thyroidectomy to remove a large solitary non cancerous nodule just over 4 weeks ago. I am now becoming more tired and lethargic and am constantly yawning. I dont feel i have any energy. My thyroid function tests before and just after surgery were fine and are due to be checked again 6 weeks post op. I am not on any thyroid medication. I am hoping to go back to work on Monday but am worried i may not be able to cope as i get tired just pottering about the house! Is this normal?? Also my scar protrudes quite markedly and looks like a large adams apple although has healed fine has anyone else had this problem? Please help as i cant seem to find the answers!
I had a TT on 12-23-09 and I must say that after 19 days, I'm fine. I haven't started med's yet due to my surgeon wanting the pathology report and my labs in first. Pathology report was "benign" Thank God and I went for my labs yesterday (seems like they were taking all of my blood)....results will be in, n a few days. I noticed that after the surgery, my calcium dropped "alot" causing muscle spasms and tingling (all over), I was very tired but after 3 weeks, I feel good. I would check my "hemocrit" levels just to make sure that you are not anemic. As far as the scar, it's not that visible anymore and I also have a "adams apple" like appearance above the scar...and i'm sure that it's due to the "surgery", the area that was surgically cut and also not having a thyroid. My area is still numb but I have not problem with moving my neck around as usual. If you are really concerned, speak to your physician and ask what he/she thinks. God Bless You!~
I had a large goiter (the size of a softball) and half of my thyroid removed four weeks ago.  The goiter was benign.  I went back to work after 2 weeks.  Partially because people made it sound like the surgery was no big deal.  The first week or so until i had the bandages removed i was a little sore but generally felt ok.  Once i went back to work I began to have other "symptoms" and i have been trying to decide if i am crazy.  I am tired ALL of the time, constantly on the verge of tears, have slight muscle spasms all over but mainly in arms, and heart palpitations..  My doctor does not want to entertaint he thought of medication until my "body adusts"  in 3 months.   My appetite has not been much - but i am not losing weight either.  
I had partial thyroid removal one week ago today. Everyone made it sound like this surgery is no big deal, and for the most part things have gone well. I am SO stinking tired it;s frustrating! Thought it was the pain meds but havent had to take them for a couple of days so it's not that. I thought since just partial removal I wouldn't feel a big change...wrong!  Sounds like we all have the "tired" symptom, but It's good to know that it can get back to normal, I just have to be patient and see. Thank you for posting your experience.
I had an partial thyroidectomy on 14/01/2010 - I've tried to exercise and eat correctly - but I still have problems such as feeling tired. The days that I feel tired - I just try and make it through the day - those are the times when my moodswings are really bad - and I just  try and avoid people - just to spare their feelings, because of my sharp tongue and to keep my job intact!! :) The good news is - my scar is not that prominent and it has healed quite nicely. Wish I could show you my before and after pics!! :) I'm not on any medication because the doctor said that we should test whether the left side could take over the functions of the right side(the lobe I had removed).All in all - I think I am coping very well. The weight gain? Well , I havent lost any - but I've gained about 5kg since then. Hopefully the exercise and eating healthy routine will keep my weight stable. I also used bio oil and dermastine when the scar healed. It really looks fantastic. I first resembled someone that had been tripped by a washing line or a mug victim(everybody always wanted to know who slit my throat ;) ) - but today its just a thin line - which is not noticeable really until I tell you I had a partial thyroidectomy. So take care - and just take it one day at a time.