VERY high TSH - Interested in range information
I am having trouble finding out range information on the net regarding TSH levels.  I have taken synthoid for several years and occasionally have to adjust the dosage.  I know what a level TSH is but at one point had a level of 32.5 - which was treated by adjusting the dosage.  However, due to recent HORRIBLE symptons, knew I needed to have it checked again (3 months earlier than my scheduled check).  It was at 85.8 which scares me to death after doing what little research I have.  I have been looking for ranges and what effects they may have on me at certain ranges (other than the obvious ones I have been feeling).  Last, how high can a TSH be and how close am I to it?
I have a tsh of 299.46 right now and I do feel like death. I have cheat pain and back pain, my body aches all over and my dr said he has never seen a tsh that high. I'm freaked out because I have to get chest x ray and blood work every 6 weeks. My dose has also been moved up to 175mg.
  I am confused!! The last time I had bloodwork done the doctor said it was 0.608 and he said  that was real good!! I had my thyroid taken out in Dec. 2011 and I am still learning . What range is good? What is the range?
I am 42 years female, recently i tested my Serum T.S.H. that result is 94.7 McIU/ml.

What can I do now
This is a very old thread and your situation would get much more attention if you start your own thread.  You can do that by clicking the orange "Post a Question" button at the top of this page, type your question(s), then click the green "Post a Comment" button.  

Or you can access the thyroid forum via the following link:
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Thyroid-Disorders/show/73?controller=forums&action=show&id=73&camp=msc

If your TSH is 94.7, I would imagine that you feel very hypo - your next step would be to visit your doctor and get on thyroid replacement medication.
I am having the exact same symptoms...I had my thyroid removed on Oct 9th started my synthroid Oct 15th...was fine up until Nov.17th..then it was awful..constant all day anxiety attacks..pounding heart,chest pain,nausea,vomiting,diarrhea, shakey, hot one minute,freezing the next, muscle twitches..thought I was dying. finally last night Nov 28th went to ER..was told my TSH was 19.4 , called my endo doc and she said that meant I was hypo...confused because all my symptoms point to hyper. She is ordering some special hormone test tomorrow..I will let you know what it is and what happens..if you find and an answer before me I would love to hear it. Thank you
I just got my tsh level today and it is 69 42 this is 12-7-12 the last tsh drawn was 59.39 extremely high I have requested referal to endo and primary dr insists on treating one more test if elevated I will change primary physicians and insist on endo dr to rx.also have a quest i have been having chest pain  on and off canthis be cause from elevate tsh,just wondering
This is an old and long thread.  You'll get more attention to your individual concerns if you go to the top of the page, click the orange "Post a Question" button and start your own new thread.  
please take your meds. i am NOT a dr but i was told at 12 i had hypo. i did have the radiation treatment to kill the thyroid.  i got preg at 16 and yes stay on meds cause being preg will take even more from your body and cause you to feel worse than you do now i am 34 and hadnt taken my meds for 2 months i went to the dr today and my level was over 300. i explained how i had been feeling lately as headache dizziness like im gonna pass out irritable aggervated all the time depressed and naseated. tired and weak. she told me i could go into coma from it being that off i had pausing between my words when talking and that showed her that my body was trying to shut down. started back on 150mcg levoxyl (generic) and can already tell slight diff. so please keep up with your med dr apts esp if trying to have a child. i have 3 ages 17 15 and 12. took my meds when preg. they sofar have no problems. good luck..
my tsh number just came back at 628 and all they , drs, have me on is .35 of premarin hormone. im going to a gyn instead of just my primary, i think he's no longer able to function in the medical field as i swear the man is at least a 150 years old. hope to god these numbers go down, i hear the side effects of such numbers are horrific.
I posted on your new thread.

My 4 year old had a starting TSH Level of 2004. Her second blood test was 6 weeks into Thyroxine treatment, her TSH still measured as 968.  Her most recent which was 6 week later again, 1.68, so perfect. :)  

I'm sure that the Thyroxine treatment has been helpful to your daughter.  I just wanted to make you aware that TSH is a pituitary hormone that is supposed to reflect accurately the levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, but in reality cannot be shown to do so.  As such, it is totally inadequate as the sole diagnostic for thyroid status.  At best TSH is an indicator to be considered along with more important indicators such as symptoms, and also levels of Free T3 and Free T4 (not the same as Total T3 and T4).  Also, when a patient is already taking thyroid med, TSH is even poorer as a diagnostic.  

So, I wanted to say that maybe not right now, but certainly in the future, you are going to need a good thyroid doctor for your daughter.  By that I mean a doctor that will treat her clinically, by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve hypo symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results and especially not TSH results.  

I realize that at her age, it is somewhat difficult to determine symptoms and their severity, but as she gets older, you will need to be attentive to symptoms and make sure you have a good thyroid doctor that will treat clinically as I described.  Such doctors are difficult to find because most of them rely on the "Immaculate TSH Belief' and only want to use TSH to diagnose and treat.  That does not work.  Others will test beyond TSH but then resort to "Reference Range Endocrinology", by which they will tell you that a thyroid test that falls anywhere withing the so-called "normal' range is adequate.  That also is wrong.  

I think that this link, written by a good thyroid doctor will give you some good info for future reference.   Also, if you want to give us your location, it is always possible that a member can recommend a good thyroid doctor in your area.  

http://hormonerestoration.com/Thyroid.html

Hi I have a range of 10 and was told I'm borderline by my GP but have most of the symptoms of low thyroid function! What is the range for commencing medication! My weight is creeping up and up even though I'm on a 500 calorie a day diet! It's getting me down!
Don't be afraid to post to a new thread.  I think measuring TSH is not enough to determine what is going wrong, and what treatment is needed.

In general measurement of thyroid hormones at least T4, and really both T4 T3 are needed along with an thyroid antibody test.  

So you should have your TSH, T4, and T3 tested again, with antibodies tests in say a month or two. You want to know the actual thyroid hormone levels that's T4 and T3.  And antibody tests, which may point to autoimmune disease.

One other thing to consider is dieting  If you are on a near starvation diet, 500 calories, that can effect thyroid function.  Also if your diet doesn't have enough iodine in it, or you have other vitamin or mineral deficiencies, that can cause hypo-symptoms.  I'm not a doctor, but I'd try and get those sorts of things, checked out, and corrected before trying thyroid meds.
My mom is in the hospital and she has a TSH of 96 and rising. I got on chacha and asked them if she could pull through, and it says she will most likely die. Is this true? Can she recover? They are sending her home today, because she does not have insurance and cant afford to stay any longer. They have not prescribed her any medication or done anything. are they even allowed to do that. Just let her get sicker and sicker?
People very rarely die of hypothyroidism because it moves very slowly.  A TSH of 94 is high and indicates further testing is in order and that meds might be appropriate.  She can recover (as far as her thyroid issue is concerned).  I don't know what they are "allowed" to do and what they aren't, but you should get her to a doctor ASAP and have her FREE T3 and FREE T4 tested along with a repeat TSH.  The doctor will determine from those if she needs meds.  Best of luck.
i am 6 weeks pregnancy my Tsh-6.07, T4-13.4. i am very tense pl tell me what to do. earlier i had not taken any medicene
What was your doctors advice, or are you waiting to see him?

You haven't posts lab ranges.  But I don't think your hormones are very far off.  TSH is slightly high and T4 at the low end of normal.  So not causing your baby any problem.

Thyroid problems do tend to show up during pregnancy or after. Also, need for thyroid hormones peeks in the first trimester and falls in the second trimester.

I think there is debate on what do do with pregnant women whose TSH is slightly high like yours.  I think that's because nothing bad happens if it's not treated or if it's treated with meds.

I'd expect you doctor to have more labs done.  Any advice he gives is likely okay and your baby will be fine.
My TSH levels were 493..age 25...had no other problems except mild edema/swellling that pushed me towards a doc ...taking the generic version now...after the pills began , in the first week,had the common post-therapy symptoms like heart palpataions etc but now they are moderating with time...my doc told me to strictly follow 125 mg dose...next tsh test he told to be done after 2months after which he expects it to drop it to around 150....I'm worried though that the 493 tsh level would have already caused damage to other systems of my body..anyways that's gone..is there any other tests that is recommeded that I should do to stop diagonise any other problem that might have started and that could be arrested due to such tsh high tsh levels...i meas 493 would have builtup over time...so little anxious..
Im actually in the hospital now with a tsh level of 145. Its the highest my hospital ever seen. Im only 22 but just had a baby 6 months ago. After delivering i suffered for 6 months with extreeeme fatigue, naseau, pain, dizziness, blurred and double vision. No joke. I had no iclue what was wrong. Finally i came to the er and thank god i did. I urge u to go straight to the er.
My TSH was at one point 273.45 and put me in the hospital for 7 days.  During that 7 day stent in the hospital, I was given synthroid through my IV.  The Dr. had me do an absorption test to see if I was getting anything from PO meds.  After a 2,3,4,5 and 6 hour blood draw, it was discovered that I wasn't absorbing my medication via PO.  I was discharged with orders to receive 500Mcg intravenously once a week.  My numbers went down drastically for the first 2 months.  The Dr. started me on 100Mcg PO daily in addition to my weekly infusion to see if there was a difference in my levels.  Instead of going down, my numbers have started creeping back up again.  The Dr. increased the PO to 200Mcg daily and still on the weekly infusion and my numbers are still creeping upward.  Not sure what the next step will be yet.
I have noticed that there is no mention of what kinds of replacement meds are available for hypothyroidism.  If you are taking your medicine like you are supposed to and your numbers are still high, you may want to ask your doctor for a different type.  When my numbers were constantly reflecting >100, my doctors first increased my dosage then took me off of synthroid and put me on Armorthyroid.  The difference is that synthroid is a synthetic blend and Armorthyroid is not, it is taken from a pig and not made in a lab.  That could be the difference your body needs.  For me, it wasn't the type of pill, but that I wasn't absorbing period.
I recently had a TSH level of over 800. I can tell you that I thought I was dying, really dying. The level has gone down some and I feel a little better. I'm on 100mcg daily of levothyroxine. Also seizure & hypertension meds.
But, I have Hashimoto's Encephalopathy. Very rare, and even harder to find a doctor who even knows what it is! The symptoms are seizures, uncontrollable muscle spasms (arms & legs), aphasia (affects speech and word association), insomnia, and a few other things that would take to long to explain :).
I have been searching for ANYONE who has been diagnosed with HE just to talk to. I have been searching for 5 years now. PLEASE, if anyone has this disease or knows someone who has it I would welcome any type of communication about it.
This forum is great! Thank you so much for sharing :)
Have you seen this info and link to further info?

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/hashimotos/a/encephalopathy.htm
Thank you very much! I had not read anything from Beverly Seminara  and it has proved helpful :) Most of the information about HE on the internet has not been updated for 5-10 years. But her research is up to date. Thanks again!
I can only say from my own expierience .150mg of levo worked for me . I'm a 53 year old male and my TSH was 28. I'm around 250 now down from 275. This was my weight even though I work out and ride a bike several times a week. Not only does it work I don't feel I could survive without it. My TSH is also around 6. Be careful when they up your dosage. .175 mg made me sick so I convinced my doc to back down to .150mg. Find your balance on this hormone stuff and remember, how you feel is just as important as getting that number down.
I know you didn't ask any questions, but I could not help responding that how you feel should be all important, not test results, and especially not TSH.  Have you been tested for Free T3 and Free T4.  If not, you should make sure they test both every time you go for new tests.  Free T3 is the most important because scientific studies have shown that Free T3 correlated best with hypo symptoms, while Free T4 and TSH did not correlate at all.  

You have been taking large doses of T4 med.  Sometimes hypo patients find that their body does not adequately convert the T4 to T3, resulting in low levels of Free T3 and hypo symptoms.  This will show up in the Free T3/Free T4 test results.  When conversion is inadequate the addition of T3 med is required to raise the Free T3 as necessary to relieve symptoms.

Since hypo patients are also frequently too low in the ranges for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin, if you haven't been tested for those you should do so.

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  You can get some good insight into clinical treatment from this letter written by a good thyroid doctor for patients that he sometimes consults with after initial tests and evaluation.  The letter is then sent to the participating doctor of the patient to help guide treatment.  In the letter, please note the statement, "the ultimate
criterion for dose adjustment must always be the clinical response of the patient."

http://hormonerestoration.com/files/ThyroidPMD.pdf

When I found out I had hypothyroidism,  my tsh was 1000... yes, that's 3 zeros. And a few years ago I wasn't able to take my synthroid for 3 months and it was 1200. My dr flipped.
I am 24 yr old. My TSH value is 29.23-Ref value should be 0.34 to 4.82 . I am really worried, Is this a severe problem?. My doc called me for further discussion.
First thing you should know is that TSH is a pituitary hormone, not a thyroid hormone.  TSH is only an indicator, at best.  Far better indicators are symptoms you may have and your levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4.  That said, your TSH is high enough that typically it would be indicating the possibility of the primary cause for hypothyroidism, which is Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  

With Hashi's your immune system erroneously identifies the thyroid gland as "foreign" to your body and produces antibodies to attack and eventually destroy the gland.  Along the way, thyroid hormone production is diminished and so the TSH level rises, trying to signal the thyroid gland to produce more hormone.  Unless the diminishing levels of natural thyroid hormone are replaced adequately with thyroid med, hypothyroid symptoms occur.  

This can become a problem only if your doctor does not adequately test and treat your hypothyroidism.  The tests you need are Free T3 and Free T4 (not the same as Total T3 and Total T4).  You should make sure they test you for Free T3 and Free T4 each time you go in for tests.  Since hypo patients are frequently too low in the ranges for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin (iron), you should request those as well.  If the doctor resists doing all these tests, you should insist on them and don't take no for an answer.  When you have additional test results, please post, along with reference ranges shown on the lab report and we will be glad to help interpret and advise further.

Last, for now, what symptoms, if any are you having?  
Meant to add that in order to rule in or out, the possibility of Hashi's, two tests are needed.  Those are for Thyroid Peroxidase antibodies and Thyroglobulin antibodies, usually listed as TPO ab and TG ab.  
TSH IS MORE THEN 1000 ,WHAT MAY BE THE CAUSES
That's very high... are you sure you've read the report correctly?  Have you had other tests, such as Free T3, Free T4 and thyroid antibodies done?  

Are you having hypo symptoms? You should talk to your doctor immediately, as you could go into a very serious condition called Hashitoxicosis, which is life threatening.
I just had my testing done...my TSH is 276.4 and my T4 free is .34.  Does this seem to be in line with Hashimoto?  Just trying to figure out as much info as possible.  I have never been on medication for this before so I am new to the hypothyroidism etc.  
Yes, it does.  You can confirm Hashimoto's Thyroiditis by testing for both Thyroid Peroxidase and Thyroglobulin antibodies.  Those tests are often listed as TPO ab and TG ab.  Have you been started on thyroid med?  If so, what type and how much daily?  What symptoms are you having?  

Is this the first time your doctor tested for possible thyroid issues?  

There is lots to discuss, so hang with us.  
Yes it was the first time I had been tested. I am 33 with no real previous health issues.  As far as I know there is only one Aunt on my father's side that has hypothyroidism not to the effect of mine though. My doc said yesterday that my TSH was one of the highest he had ever seen and my thyroid just wasn't working.  I asked him why I didn't feel worse and he said he thought my body had just compensated.  So who knows I guess how long I have actually had issues that I just passed off as I am getting older and I have two little girls 8 and 5 I am chasing around :)

I really have no idea how long some of the symptoms have been occurring.  As some things can just come with age.  Menses change started about 1 year ago...change with my hair started 4 years ago. Temper change maybe about 6 months ago. The severe symptoms happened about a month and 1/2 ago. I started taking Calcium gluclosamine which I quit because I got hit with extreme fatigue that was not resolved with a nap muscle weakness, cramps, tingling in my feet while I slept, vertigo.  I also gained 15 pounds in about 1 month and that is just not like me.  I quit smoking 8 months ago so I have put on a few pounds just because of that.

He started me one 50 mcg of the levothroid once daily. He wanted to start me off strong because of my very high TSH but low enough I don't develop hyperthyroid and I need to check back in 8 weeks.  He has not tested for TPO ab or TG ab.  All other blood work of mine came back perfect...besides my TSH and t4 free

Thank you all for any additional help in my transition to getting used to not having a working thyroid:)
It would be a good idea to test for TPO ab and TG ab just to confirm that it is Hashi's.  You should also request to be tested for Free T3, along with Free t4 each time you go in for tests.  Since hypo patients frequently are too low in the ranges for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin, I suggest testing for those as well.  A deficiency in either of the three can cause symptoms as well as affecting the metabolism of thyroid hormone.  Since T4 meds are basically fully effective in serum levels in about 4-5 weeks, I suggest that you try to get back in for followup tests before 8 weeks.  

For info, a good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  You can get some good insight into clinical treatment from this letter written by a good thyroid doctor for patients that he sometimes consults with after initial tests and evaluation.  The letter is then sent to the participating doctor of the patient to help guide treatment.  In the letter, please note the statement, "the ultimate criterion for dose adjustment must always be the clinical response of the patient."

So when you see the doctor next you might want to discuss this with him and find out if he is going to be willing to treat clinically, rather than strictly by test results.  If not, then you will ultimately need to find a good thyroid doctor that will do so.  

Ok thank you I will read the article to further educate myself.  My B12 and Ferritin were perfect this visit. He did not test for the T3 but he did for the free T4 which was low .34
Please post the B12 and ferritin results so we can see how "perfect" they are.  
lol Ok I get it.....my Ferritin was 98 and my B-12 was 721 Folate 11.8 glucose 86 any other numbers that you think are important to share?
Okay, your B12 is pretty good.  Your ferritin is higher than I would have expected, since you are apparently hypothyroid.  So, I suggest that the next time you go in for tests, you should also request to be tested for a complete iron panel, including serum iron, TICB and % transferrin saturation.  Those tests will indicate if there is something causing your higher than expected ferritin level.  
Ok thank you I will have a long list for my doc for next time.  I am currently only seeing a family physician but am thinking seriously about going to a specialist thyroid preferably if not an endocrinologist. I will have to see how much I can get my family doctor to do.  Many are just very stubborn which doesn't help in our wellness.   All so much to think about in the 2 days I have known phewww!

I had been taking Evening primrose oil and a complex for hair skin and nails that had biotin antioxidants A C and a few others so maybe that could have helped me retain my iron levels....who knows. I can't even tell if my thyroid died slowly or all at once.  I am a need to know it kind of person and some things are impossible or next to impossible to know with this.
Thank you Gimel for all of your time and assistance.  
I read you post and I am going though the same thing. I had a bypass/ open heart 1 1/2 years ago and I am hypo. I am taking 100 syn. and my heart was racing so bad it scared the hell out of me thinking I was having another heart attack. I cut mu 100 mg in half myself and my heart started to slow down. Now my heart Dr. just called me and said my thyroid level is way high and stop cut my does in half. So here I am. What did they do for you..??
Hey.. I wouldn't be any help cause my mom's having the similar problem so can u plz help me too??? Recently my mom had a whole body package test where she was diagnosed with hypothyroidism I guess...FT3 is in normal range I.e. 3.98, low FT4 9.64 and very high 3rd generation ultra sensitive TSH I.e.25.10... she did have fatigue, sleepy all the time, body pains symptoms since a long time but never had done any medical checkup though until recently... She 5'2 and weighs 70.5kg.... So the doctor has prescribed T4 50 mcg and cholirol 60k for 8weeks OD and has advised to have a FT3, FT4, .TSH, anti TPO Ab test and also USG thyroid gland.. I reckon, he's suspecting hasimoto as well.. I, myself is a fresh pharmacist so I'm really confused with the prescription... T4 50mcg was prescribed so will it be okay if I get my mom thyronorm 50mcg tablets??? T4 is equivalent to thyronorm right??? Do u get it what I'm tryna say?? Sorry if I confused you!!!
Hey.. I wouldnot be any help cause my mom is having the similar problem so can u plz help me too??? Recently my mom had a whole body package test where she was diagnosed with hypothyroidism I guess...FT3 is in normal range I.e. 3.98, low FT4 9.64 and very high 3rd generation ultra sensitive TSH I.e.25.10... she did have fatigue, sleepy all the time, body pains symptoms since a long time but never had done any medical checkup though until recently... She is five feet two inches tall and weighs 70.5kg.... So the doctor has prescribed T4 50 mcg and cholirol 60k for 8weeks OD and has advised to have a FT3, FT4, .TSH, anti TPO Ab test and also USG thyroid gland.. I reckon, he is suspecting hasimoto as well.. I, myself is a fresh pharmacist so I am really confused with the prescription... T4 50mcg was prescribed so will it be okay if I get my mom thyronorm 50mcg tablets??? T4 is equivalent to thyronorm right??? Do u get it what I am tryna say?? Sorry if I confused you!!!
Hey.. I wouldnot be any help cause my mom is having the similar problem so can u plz help me too??? Recently my mom had a whole body package test where she was diagnosed with hypothyroidism I guess...FT3 is in normal range I.e. 3.98, low FT4 9.64 and very high 3rd generation ultra sensitive TSH I.e.25.10... she did have fatigue, sleepy all the time, body pains symptoms since a long time but never had done any medical checkup though until recently... She is five feet two inches tall and weighs 70.5kg.... So the doctor has prescribed T4 50 mcg and cholirol 60k for 8weeks OD and has advised to have a FT3, FT4, .TSH, anti TPO Ab test and also USG thyroid gland after 6 weeks.. I reckon, he is suspecting hasimoto as well.. I, myself is a fresh pharmacist so I am really confused with the prescription... T4 50mcg was prescribed so will it be okay if I get my mom thyronorm 50mcg tablets??? T4 is equivalent to thyronorm right??? Do u get it what I am tryna say?? Sorry if I confused you!!!
So, from her symptoms and the lab test results it appears she is hypothyroid.  The doctor prescribed a low, starting  dose of T4 med.  Thyronorm is a brand name for Levothyroxine, or synthetic T4 med.  

Since she was also prescribed Cholirol, I assume she was deficient in Vitamin D.  What was her test result for Vitamin D?   If not tested for B12 and also ferritin, those need to be done also.  Hypo patients are frequently deficient in both and need to supplement to optimize.  B12 should be in the high end of its range, and ferritin should be at least 100.

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypothyroid patient clinically, by testing and adjusting Free T4 and Free T3 as needed to relieve symptoms, without being influenced by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.  Many of us have found it best to have FT4 at least mid-range, and FT3 in the upper third of its range, or as needed to relieve symptoms.

Also, be aware that your mom nay not notice any effect from the 50 mcg of T3 med.  The reason is that when taking the med, TSH will go down in response, resulting in less stimulation of the thyroid gland and less output of natural thyroid hormone.  Since serum thyroid levels are the sum of both natural thyroid hormone and thyroid med, only when TSH becomes suppressed enough to no longer stimulate natural thyroid hormone production will serum thyroid levels reflect further increases in thyroid medication.  
Oh, thank you very much... I really appreciate your fast reply... and no, there was no Vit. D, ferritin or B12 tests done... but he has recommended Tpo ab test and USG of thyroid gland... Her ESR is also high 40, PCV is low 34.8,  MCHC is high 33.6, lymphocytes count is high too 46 She also has small fibrous growth in uretus.. do all these further intensify her hypothyroidism??? She was also referred to gynocologist... well I'm really depressed right now???
I really do not know enough to comment on those other test results, but it is doubtful that they affect her hypothyroidism.  She should make sure to be tested for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin and then supplement as needed to optimize.  And push the doctor as needed to get her treated clinically, to relieve hypo symptoms, rather than just by TSH or other test results.  I don't think you need to be depressed.  If you mom gets these things done I think she will feel much, much better.  
Thank you so much... means a lot...  I am so grateful to be a part of this community... sincere thanks to you :)