Thyroid Disorders Community
What is lump in neck after Thyroidectomy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I had a TT a week ago and developed a large bump about 1/2" above incision site.  It is hard, solid feeling like a small rock and sensitive to touch. It stings b/c of the pressure my neck has on it.  Ice packs make me comfortable but once ice wears off, then it stings again.  It almost looks like a large adam's apple, however, it is not! I'm female and never had this before. My TT was because of a goiter/hashimotos. It is HOT to the touch.

I believe it's a hematoma. A dr. looked at it and said it would eventaully get reabsorbed and go away but it can take weeks and they HURT!  So this is why I have pain from it.
A week after my TT, I suddenly developed a large bump right under  the incision, with no pain.  I rushed to the surgeon's office and he said that I must have taken aspirin and possibly picked up something heavy, (I had done both), which caused a hematoma.  He said that eventually, my body would absorb it.  The following week I went back to the doctor and he again assured me that it would eventually go away.  It has been four weeks since my surgery and the lump is still there.   I had part of my thyroid removed four months ago due to a cancerous tumor, and had no problems whatsoever, I had a full recovery within a month after surgery, so I had expected the same.   I take levothyroxine 75 mg have plenty of energy for my 70 years and feel fine otherwise.  Worried about the lump!