Thyroid Disorders Community
calcium level v. vitamin D

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

calcium level v. vitamin D

Previous Med. Lab. Tech.
White  Female  45 years old  5’5’’  220lb.

I went to my family doctor because of heart palpitations, accelerated hear rate, excessive sweating, tiredness, edginess, and an overall feeling of being “out of whack”.
Doctor ran the following tests:

EKG-normal- heart rate 97/min
ECHO- normal except for some palpitations and heart rate between 97-103/min
Thyroid ultra sound- revealed multiple nodules- iodine uptake scan appointment in September
Normal

T4 Free- 1.1 .70-1.48
TSH- 1.79 .35-4.94
Calcium- 10 8.9-10     (3 years ago Calcium was 10.3)
Vitamin D- 25.3 ng/ml     32-100

PTH- 48 10-65

Doctor prescribed Vitamin D supplements. to be taken once a week. My concern is the discrepancy between the below normal Vitamin D and the calcium level   My understanding is that the purpose of Vit. D is to help absorb calcium. If my calcium is at a high normal level, do I really need an increase in Vit. D? The follow up question is, with a low level of Vit. D how is my calcium so high? Where does the calcium come from if it is not being absorbed in the intestines? Do I want a calcium any higher?
I asked the doc. To run the PTH after getting the above results came back.  I was surprised that it was as high as it was considering my previous calcium level. What I don’t know is how much or how quickly calcium or PTH levels fluctuate from day to day. The PTH may not be a relevant result considering the fact that it was not done at the same time as the other lab. tests.
My final question is should I see an endocrinologist? Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill?
Tags: Vitamin D
I think you should go to an endocrinologist, and repeat the analyses of PTH and Vitamin D-25 (active) and Vit-D-1-25 (inactive form).  You are right about Vit D,Vitamin D increases the amount of calcium in our body and usually higher calcium levels tend to have lower Vitamin D levels. Must look for your parathyroid.
What is the dosage of the Vit D you take? Why once a week? Vit D is lost on a daily basis. One of the few vitamins our body doesn't store. Did they do a blood calcium test or a urine calcium test? Calcium in the blood is all well and good as it shows you have calcium, BUT if you have a high level of calcium in the urine that means your Vit D is not doing its job, and is sending it bye-bye.
  Yes, see an endocrinologist. Too many doctors have too little knowledge in this field.
I am having severe low calcium (rather than high) and low Vit D issues (even after taking supplements) so I know where your concerns come from!
The calcium level in urine is very important here and also the measure of phosphatemia and phosphaturia (in urine). Vit D must be activated to work (skin, liver  and kidney), so it's important to measure both forms of Vit D to see what is going on.  If you have bone decalcification, need to do X-ray. There are many possibilities, so test Ca levels (urine and serum, PO4, Alkaline phosphatase, and 25- (OH) D3 levels. As been said it is time to go to an ENDO.
Vitamin D absolutely does store in your body, it is a far soluable vitamin, not water. I personally have overdosed on just over 2000IU/day. It caused horrendous neurological problems. I am still off all calcium and D by mouth which has been 4 months,. I am slowly getting better but I know it would have killed me. Calciferol is D3 as well as the ingredient in rat poison.
I take 2000 IU a day of Vit D 3 by orders of my Endocrinologist.  I have hyperparathyroidism and had 2 of my parathyroids removed.  1000 iu a day minimum is what all women should take.  2000 iu a day is safe.