Thyroid Disorders Community
coffee and meds

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

coffee and meds

I have always woke up and drank a couple of cups of coffee and than about and hour later that my 150mg of armour and than wait 30min to eat.

I am on my second day of doing the same but taking 65mcg of levothroid. I am started out small and than have to raise it to 125mcg. Well I am really nervous in the mornings since taking the levothroid and I am not sure why. It is just a small dosage.

Should I be concern? Could it be that I am not taking my armour and not taking enough of the levethroid?

Fionna
My Synthroid is known to react with caffeine ... I limit my intake to one cup in the morning and that is basically it ... not sure bout your meds.

C~
I have this problem too - my solution might not be yours - I drink coffee with a 1scoop caffeine to 4scoops decaf - still I would be way too up w/ morning pill whether Armour or synthetic but by afternoon so sleepy - past 2 years I still drink my coffee but take my pill @ 3pm everyday when I'm most sleepy and am long done w/ morn coffee - this works great for me - also I run every morning and if I took a pill and then ran I would have a heart attack for sure - I'm very sensitive to thyroid hormone and even ice tea will bounce me off the wall - hope this helps - I know most docs say morning and most folks do this but didn't work for my symptoms or schedule - cheers
You could try decaff.
I have been told (by my doctor's nurse) that decaff WITH MY SYNTHROID was fine, but not regular coffee.

I drink about four cups in the morning, during which time I take my Synthroid. After I shower and dress I eat something and take more pills.

Not sure if that's good or bad, just what I do. I don't know if coffee affects absorbtion differently than plain water.

Don't know if it would be the same for Levothroid.
I have been on synthroid now for 11 months.  It has taken me that long to work up from 25mcg to 75mcg and I still take a 50mcg twice a week all because of the nervousness it causes.  I have found if I only really gradually increase my dose the jitters stay under control.  I am almost ready to up it to 75mcg every day I think though am currently taking mucinex-d (sudafed) which only adds to that feeling.  Since you have started out on 62.5 I'm not too surprised with how you feel but everyone is different!  I had to cut to one cup of 1/2 caf 1/2 decaf in the morning and then at work I can drink coffee but its 1/4 caf to 3/4 decaf and then I can have an ice tea for lunch and be fine.
I noticed that you say you are drinking coffee, taking meds an hour later and food half an hour after that.  I have always been told to take my pill first and only with water and that I have to wait at least an hour before I drink or eat anything else other than Water.  
   If you drink or eat anything first, you are supposed to wait 2 hours after before taking meds and another hour after than before you eat or drink anything else.
   I have followed this at all times and have never had a problem, even if I drink Coffee.