Thyroid Disorders Community
cytomel and synthroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

cytomel and synthroid

I used to be on .2mg Synthroid and Cytomel, forget the dose until I could not get it any longer. It is again available I see.  I had shown my previous doctor, moved, a study showing its benefits with synthroid. can you comment on it and also tell me what that study was.  thanks

This discussion is related to Adding Cytomel.
Hi and WELCOME .. wanted to say hello -- I don't know the answer to your ? but thanks for stopping by and others may be able to help.

C~
anyone with a heart and thryoid problem? Many doctors say you can't take Cytomel if you have both. Others say, yes , but at small doses and with frequent control tests. . Any experiences please
I don't know what the study is that you are referring to - I'm sure there have been a lot of them, but I do know there are a lot of people on cytomel -- myself included.  I'm currently on 75 mcg levo, alternating with 88 mcg levo + 5 mcg cytomel daily.  

Cytomel is a T3 only med and must be used with caution.  It is approximately 4 times more potent than the T4 med, so whenever cytomel is added, T4 med should be decreased by, I think, it's 20-25 mcg/day.  Free T3 levels must be checked regularly, along with TSH and Free T4, when taking cytomel.  Cytomel is usually not recommended unless you have a conversion problem or for some other reason, your Free T3 is out of line.  In addition, you should constantly be aware of any symptoms that might indicate that you are taking too much.

Oldie - I, too, have heard that cytomel should not be used by persons with heart issues.  I have not been diagnosed with a heart problem per se, but I do have a leaky heart valve.  I am on only 5 mcg cytomel daily.  I was on 10 mcg, but after about 3 months, I began having rapid heart rate, palps, etc - which as we both know, would not be recommended for someone with heart issues.........I firmly believe that cytomel should be taken at the lowest possible dosage no matter what conditions you have, but of course, I'm not a doctor, so you should most certainly follow your doctor's instructions/recommendations as s/he will know your situation better than we can on this forum.  Cytomel can tip the scale to hyper rather quickly  and I rather stay a bit hypo than have that happen.

aline123,
I do know of studies where Cytomel has been an adjunct treatment to depression.
Actually, a Psychiatrist will prescribe VERY HIGH doses (it if treats the depression).

Here's one Study.
http://www.psycheducation.org/thyroid/treatment.htm

FYI--What I did to find an ENDO that prescribes Cytomel, is asked a Pharmacist.

I first tried to call the Manufacturer (King Pharm)--however they only "wholesale" the Drug (they don't have drugs reps out pounding the pavement like LIpitor, etc.).

Thus why *SOME* Endo's might be reluctant to prescribe it.

HOWEVER, I'd be HORRIFIED seeing an ENDO that had never heard of Cytomel (My friend See's one, I told my friend to ask his Endo for it---and his Endo said he never heard of it).--SCARY!!!!!!!!!

when I went to my New Endo--I was all prepared to "teach him" about Cytomel, when I asked him had he heard of it, he said "OF COURSE I HAVE", it's only been on the market since the 1970's....

He told me the reason why it was not prescribed in the early days (and thus has never really taken on) was that it was cost prohibitive ($200/PER PILL--is what he told me).--when it first came out.

Also, it's much harder to get someone on a correct T-3 dose than a T-4---as T-3 is fast acting (it's 1/2 life if less than 24-hours---but stays in your blood, takes a few days to metabolize out of your system).

***************************
FYI--I just looked at the Drug Manufacturer website and learned something new.
The Manufacturer of Cytomel is "King Pharmaceuticals", here is the link I used to find the PDF Copy of Instruction on Cytomel

Click on the link that says [pdf] Cytomel

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=site%3Akingpharm.com+cytomel&aq=f&aqi=&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=7d15299a959dbb33

***************************

*****************************
To answer your question, when I called King, they refereed me to McKesson. McKesson said "we only wholesale, don't keep records of which Doctor's prescribe..The lady said to me "What I'd do is call a local pharmacy and ask them to see which Doctor's prescribe Cytomel--and go from there...

I am BLESSED I found *THE BEST* Endo I EVER HAVE FOUND---by doing this..

He's run more Tests on me than ANY OTHER Doctor IN MY LIFE--(found some "disturbing" things---however he found them on the FRONT END of the curve...vs. the back end....so he's still blood testing me....BUT---He's AWESOME!!!

So, I'd try that. (FYI---if you don't have an established Pharmacist you go to---it was suggested to me to first try a Mom/Pop pharmacy---which is what I did---I know of a Family Owned (2-chain place)--in my City--so called them.

However, I verified with my Grocery Pharmacy--I've been going to for 5+ years.....and they told me that Doctor is a well known/good Doctor.

GOOD LUCK!!