Thyroid Disorders Community
does radioactive iodine therapy affect pregnancy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

hi, i just had a thyroidectomy 2 weeks ago and the pathology report came back saying that there are microscopic cancers in my lymph nodes. next week i'm supposed to discuss my options. my doctor mentions my prognosis is good and positive, based on my age and the size of the cancer in thyroid being small, she says i'm at stage 1.  now, i'm just worried if i do radioactive iodine therapy, there will be side effects such as damage to theovaries.  i'm still of child-bearing age and never had children before. i don't plan to have any soon. i'm just confused because my family doctor and another endocrinologist both said i can still have a family and not to worry, but my endocrinologist mentions there might be a risk. i'm just wondering if anyone had any problems getting pregnant after Radioactive iodine therapy.  she says microscopic cancer is harmless right now and i shouldn't be worried about it and that there's a 1% chance it might come back. who knows, maybe it won't come back at all. maybe i can wait a decade later and do radioactive iodine therapy.  i'm confused, any advice appreciated!
I am past having children so that was not a concern when I had RAI.  I do know another young lady who had RAI shortly before me, 3 years ago.  She has since had a baby girl and got along fine.  There is definately a period of tme after RAI that you should not become pregnant, but it does not mean that you cannot at a later time.  God luck.
Trish
Thank you for commenting and letting me know. It's reassuring to hear that pregnancy wouldn't be a problem after RAI.  But have you experienced other side effects? I've heard there maybe be problems in salivary glands and the eyes...
I had RAI and had to wait 6 months before getting pregnant (bc of radiation).  I have a healthy five year son after my levels plateau.  You may drop into hypo. and need med. to regulate 4-8 weeks.  It took me 6 weeks to regulate and I got pregnant right away.  Good Luck!  
I did have problems with my saliva glands 6 months after RAI.  I had a high dose (200mci), so that is probably why.  Not everyone has this problem.  My glands would swell at mealtime and take a couple of hours to go back to normal.  They were hard and sore.  This lasted a couple of months on and off.  I now produce too little saliva, so always have water with my food to help break it down.  It is important to have a dental check up more frequently because of this. My tear ducts are blocked as well, but not very bad. Some people need stints put in to open them up, but I am not that severe.  It is not a comon side effect.  Good luck.
Trish
thank you for your good news. its reassuring to know that you didn't have problems conceiving after RAI.
thank you for sharing your experience with me. may I ask why did you receive a high dose? did the cancer spread outside the thyroid? mine didn't spread but they said there are microscopic cancers in the lymph nodes so i don't know if i should do RAI now, or later in the future if it gets bad.
Yes it had spread to the lymph nodes, rib, and lung.  Everything was taken care of with the high dose of RAI.  They will probably keep an eye on your thyroglobulin (Tg), as that is a marker for cancer.  I had 3 whole body scans (WBS),in 18 months, and did not need one this year. I had a thyogen stimulated Tg test.
Trish