Thyroid Disorders Community
how to take basal temperature?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

how to take basal temperature?

Hi all,

I have started taking my basal temperature to help track how my thyroid is doing.  

Do I take it orally or under my armpit?  My temps under armpit are in the 96 range and under tongue are 97's - 98's.

My question is what temp reading do I use??  Is basal under arm or under tongue??

Thanks...
I am tracking my basal temp everyday too. My endo told me the basal temp is under tongue. That's how I did it everyday.
Under armpit: For four days keep a thermometer by your bedside. At night, shake down a thermometer - be sure that it is shaken down and below 95 degrees. It is important to shake the thermometer after each use. As soon as you wake up in the morning put the thermometer in your armpit for ten minutes.  With the bulb in the armpit with no clothing between it and the armpit. You must do this before you get up. If you get up first you will not get an accurate reading. Leave it there for 10 minutes (use snooze alarm if you wake up to an alarm). Just drowse for that time lying still. After 10 minutes, take the thermometer out, and read it, writing down the result right away. (On waking, most people don't think clearly and might forget the reading). This is known as your Early AM Basal Temperature, and the "normal" should be between 96.5 or higher.  
If your temperature runs below 96.5 then you most likely you are hypo thyroid.  If lower than the range, you are probably hypothyroid, and if higher (over 99.7 ), then you are probably hyperthyroid (or you have an infection somewhere).

By Mouth: To get you daily average of your temp., use a mercury thermometer. Digital thermometers can easily become inaccurate due to being dropped and/or having low batteries.
Shake the mercury in the thermometer down below 97 degrees (36.1 C) each time before you take your temperature.
Measure your temperature 3 times a day, 3 hours apart, starting 3 hours after you wake up, for 3 days. For example, if you wake up at 7am, you can take your temperature at 10am, 1pm, and 4pm. Add your 3 daily temperatures together and divide the sum by 3 to get each day's average. If you are female, it's best not to take your temperature during the 3 days prior to your period since it's higher then. The temperature should be taken under the tongue for around 7 minutes. Do not drink anything hot or cold for at least 15 minutes before taking your temperatures. If your temperatures run, on average.

The normal oral temperature, of course, should be 98.6
Graveslady - what's the difference between hpyo thyroid and hypothyroid???  Just curious.

Heather
Hypo is just abbreviation of hypothyroid/ism.  

Hypo thyroid = hypo/thyroid.