Thyroid Disorders Community
hurthle cell neoplasm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

hurthle cell neoplasm

recently had FNA biopsy which found Hurthle cell neoplasm (neoplasm with oncocytic features. Lt side.   is this definately considered cancer at this stage. Is surgery a definate to find out if it IS actually cancer? Is a total thyroidectomy the safest way to go?
My result states: Atypical thyrocytes suggestive of follicular neoplasm. The keyword in my result is ATYPICAL that's why my endo and surgeon firmly believes a thyroidectomy should be done. While in operation, my left lobe where the tumor is will be removed and tested under frozen section. Once there is malignancy, they will remove the other half.

As explained by my doctors, thryroidectomy is a Win-Win situation for neoplasms since it is in the middle (neither malignant, neither benign).

If it is benign - well and good!
If it is malignant, atleast it is in the earliest stage and prognosis is good.

Cheer up! No use getting useless anxieties. Always look at the positive side of things! =)

If it is benign - well and good!