Thyroid Disorders Community
hypothyroid, cold senstivity, burning skin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hi all, i have been experiencing a cold, burning sensation on my skin - top of forearm, front of calf, sometimes thigh, since i became hypothyrid.  the feeling is not there all the time, it comes and goes, and is usually worse on the right. it isn't caused by touch, just occurs randomly.  there are no visible skin changes.  my thyroid is now fine and all my other thyroid symptoms are gone.  my b12 is fine, my blood sugar is fine.  so far no answers from my doctors. i'm waiting to see a neurologist.  does anyone know if this could be an ongoing effect of hypothyroidism, even if i'm not hypothyroid anymore?
weird.. went I went hypo I got the same symptoms... still have them even though I have balanced out with meds!
Avatar n tn
well thank goodness i am not the only one at least!  I'll let you know if the neurologist has any ideas.  when i eventually see him.
I am so glad to be seeing this. I have been struggling to regulate my Hashi's for the last 4-5 months. Two months ago the labs were really good. However, for the last three weeks I have had burning sensations, mostly on my left arm but sometimes the right and sometimes the lower legs. No visible skin changes. I tried no soap, no fabric softener, changed bedding, etc. It only bothers me during waking hours.

I have an appt today with my PA, I'll see what she says and get my labs recheck. I "hope" my labs are off or I will be really worried!
Avatar n tn
I was diagnosed w/ hashi/hypo a few months ago and I've had tingling feet and numbness in my hands, and body tingling ever since!  A couple of ties I thought I also felt some burning on my skin! My tsh is down to 5.3 (still too high) but I'm still experiencing these strange sensations. My b12 is good, no back problems, etc. I've read other posters who also suffer from the same starnge symptoms. I believe it's from hashi/hypo. My endo told me to wait until my tsh was lower ("normal") before I saw a neurologist, so must also think thyroid could be the cause. Good luck to all!! I know how easy it is to worry about these symptoms and question your health.
Sorry, hit Enter instead of Tab.

The burning feeling is quite common with thyroid symptoms.  Being hypo makes your nerves extremely sensitive and this takes quite a while to go away after regaining normal levels.  Sounds like to me you probably have fibromyalgia.
This goes along with hypohell.  Anti inflammatories do help some, also topical analgesics helped to dampen the nerve receptors and gave me some relief.  Basically your nerves endings are SUPER sensitive and fire at will, so lots of unexplained pain.

Good luck and hope you all get relief soon, I know how very miserable it can be.
Dac
Thank God I am not going crazy..I have had the same thing with the itching and burning...I thought I was  the only one.  For me, I think stress helped make it worse.  I use a lotion that seems to help me quite a bit and a bath gel that is for itching and soothing the skin.  It is by Aveno.  Try it.  I hope it helps you...